DRK

Hi all!

2 hours ago, DRK said:

Got one not the colour I was after but over the past couple days I actually kind of like it. It’s night blue got nearly every single option except from sunroof. 
It’s got the maxton body kit, dcc, heated leather, helix subwoofer factory fitted, keyless entry keyless start, black Pretorias and some more. 

but some questions about work that needs to be done as I have a advisories paper from vag auto works. 

advisories are as follows 

1. front pads have 70% left - is this not normal?

2. rear pads have 80% left - again why is this put in advisories

3. front discs min thickness is 27mm actual thickness is 27.6 - this sounds like it needs changing 

4. rear discs min thickness is 20mm actual thickness 21.6

5. coolant protection to -35 - no idea what they are advising to do here? Top up?

6.brake fluid -2% will need changing next service

7. vehicle has cam chain - again why is this under advisories this is just a fact about the car? 

Any advice much appreciated on which is vital today which is not. I know I need to do a full change of the discs not sure about pads. When driving I can hear some weird noises coming from the front brakes kind of scraping. I’m not sure about what I should do for the rear. 

Great to hear you’ve found a car!   Sounds a very well specced example too, and Night Blue is quite a rare colour!  It was discontinued with the advent of the 7.5.  

What’s the age and mileage of the car?  Do you know the service history?  

Some VW dealerships (well mine anyway) report on pad wear as an advisory only if the wear is below 50%.  I asked about that recently as I had such an advisory on my front pads.  70% and 80% wear is fine.  However, as you’re going to be replacing the discs all round, it’s better to get new pads at the same time imo.  The existing pads will have a surface profile that matches the current discs and if you fit new discs but keep the old pads then they might not sit flat against the disc surface, which could lead to uneven disc wear and even the old pad eating into the disc.  By replacing both discs and pads at the same time you don’t have that potential issue as both will bed together evenly.  And tbh, the cost of pads is relatively low compared to the discs so not too much more outlay for that assurance.  It’s up to you, but if it were me, I’d replace discs and pads all round.  Others may advise differently.  

The usual brake fluid change schedule is to first change at 3 years then every 2 years thereafter, due to potential for moisture in brake fluid as the fluid can absorb water from the atmosphere over use, compromising braking capability.   So looks like that needs doing. 

Not sure why the mention of cam chain. I’d ask them why it’s flagged.  Timing chain different to changing a cambelt, the latter which does have a service regime, and replacement mileages, but timing chain is supposedly non serviceable item. But there are previous things relating to timing chains on EA888 engine, but mainly on mk6 gtis which had many revisions of the part after failures.  I think there have been a few on mk7s but nothing like the mk6 gti numbers.  

This is a good guide for service items regime for mk7 R.

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/service-schedule-for-mk7-golf-r-2015-2016-2.html

27 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Great to hear you’ve found a car!   Sounds a very well specced example too, and Night Blue is quite a rare colour!  It was discontinued with the advent of the 7.5.  

What’s the age and mileage of the car?  Do you know the service history?  

Some VW dealerships (well mine anyway) report on pad wear as an advisory only if the wear is below 50%.  I asked about that recently as I had such an advisory on my front pads.  70% and 80% wear is fine.  However, as you’re going to be replacing the discs all round, it’s better to get new pads at the same time imo.  The existing pads will have a surface profile that matches the current discs and if you fit new discs but keep the old pads then they might not sit flat against the disc surface, which could lead to uneven disc wear and even the old pad eating into the disc.  By replacing both discs and pads at the same time you don’t have that potential issue as both will bed together evenly.  And tbh, the cost of pads is relatively low compared to the discs so not too much more outlay for that assurance.  It’s up to you, but if it were me, I’d replace discs and pads all round.  Others may advise differently.  

The usual brake fluid change schedule is to first change at 3 years then every 2 years thereafter, due to potential for moisture in brake fluid as the fluid can absorb water from the atmosphere over use, compromising braking capability.   So looks like that needs doing. 

Not sure why the mention of cam chain. I’d ask them why it’s flagged.  Timing chain different to changing a cambelt, the latter which does have a service regime, and replacement mileages, but timing chain is supposedly non serviceable item. But there are previous things relating to timing chains on EA888 engine, but mainly on mk6 gtis which had many revisions of the part after failures.  I think there have been a few on mk7s but nothing like the mk6 gti numbers.  

This is a good guide for service items regime for mk7 R.

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/service-schedule-for-mk7-golf-r-2015-2016-2.html

Car is a 14 plate with 53k miles on the clock. It’s got full service history. 
forgot to mention it’s also got a miltek down pipe which I’m not a fan of to be honest even gets loud and drones in eco mode. It’s also got awe intake I think it’s been remapped but I’m not sure neither was the seller. Probably be taking a trip to mrc once I’ve taken it to my garage to make sure everything is running as it should. 

thank you for the informative post Rebecca 🙏

Car is a 14 plate with 53k miles on the clock. It’s got full service history. 
forgot to mention it’s also got a miltek down pipe which I’m not a fan of to be honest even gets loud and drones in eco mode. It’s also got awe intake I think it’s been remapped but I’m not sure neither was the seller. Probably be taking a trip to mrc once I’ve taken it to my garage to make sure everything is running as it should. 

thank you for the informative post Rebecca

If it’s got an aftermarket downpipe it probably has a stage 2 tune. If not, it needs one ASAP or the DP replacing with a stock one. Having an aftermarket DP and no matching stage 2 tune can damage your turbo due to over-spooling.

Have you declared all the mods on insurance policy; mapped or standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, slider09 said:

If it’s got an aftermarket downpipe it probably has a stage 2 tune. If not, it needs one ASAP or the DP replacing with a stock one. Having an aftermarket DP and no matching stage 2 tune can damage your turbo due to over-spooling.

Have you declared all the mods on insurance policy; mapped or standard?

Yh I have added on the extras except from a remap as I do not know if it has one or not. I’m going to book with mrc later on for a stage 2. 

Yh I have added on the extras except from a remap as I do not know if it has one or not. I’m going to book with mrc later on for a stage 2. 

MRC have a great rep with this platform so should be able to tell if mapped and / or remap it.

Enjoy.

49 minutes ago, slider09 said:

MRC have a great rep with this platform so should be able to tell if mapped and / or remap it.

Enjoy.

Just wondering if anyone on here has got a rtech stage 2 tune on their r?
the price difference is huge mrc ecu and tcu is 1350 and rtech is around 500

But I haven’t heard much about rtech for the 7r. For the mk5 they were the place to go. 

Am I safe to say there is no dsg map since it still up shifts on its own in manual mode?

at the same time I tried my first launch control which was sitting at 4krpm which suggests maybe dsg was remapped? 

and finally here’s a couple pics. Didn’t take any myself still from the original advert

D5149878-BB63-4DF1-BE8E-813876600024.thumb.jpeg.78240d57f9deff32d8d3d5fc9bf6fd00.jpeg

664F2ABD-02B0-42A4-A9C9-2D562D2D0C84.jpeg

26 minutes ago, DRK said:

Am I safe to say there is no dsg map since it still up shifts on its own in manual mode?

at the same time I tried my first launch control which was sitting at 4krpm which suggests maybe dsg was remapped? 

Some DSG (TCU) remaps will upshift at the redline (eg TVS Stage 2+ can be customised according to the owner's preferences).

Probably a better indication of a TCU tune is if when driving gently in D the DSG keeps changing up to a higher gear too soon, with the result that the engine is being forced to run at very low revs (eg 1,100 to 1,300 rpm) so the engine feels like it is lugging much of the time.  Most drivability tunes will have the revs at 1,500 to 1,700 which feels much more comfortable.

1 hour ago, gregozedobe said:

Some DSG (TCU) remaps will upshift at the redline (eg TVS Stage 2+ can be customised according to the owner's preferences).

Probably a better indication of a TCU tune is if when driving gently in D the DSG keeps changing up to a higher gear too soon, with the result that the engine is being forced to run at very low revs (eg 1,100 to 1,300 rpm) so the engine feels like it is lugging much of the time.  Most drivability tunes will have the revs at 1,500 to 1,700 which feels much more comfortable.

Never heard of TVS mate are they any good? I’m currently looking for a good local place to get a stage 2 from near North London.  Does TVS do custom maps? 
atm I’m leaning towards rtech since I’ve been there before on the mk5 gti and also the price is on point £425 for both ecu and tcu stage 2. 

8 hours ago, DRK said:

Never heard of TVS mate are they any good? I’m currently looking for a good local place to get a stage 2 from near North London.  Does TVS do custom maps? 
atm I’m leaning towards rtech since I’ve been there before on the mk5 gti and also the price is on point £425 for both ecu and tcu stage 2. 

TVS have an excellent reputation for TCU tunes for DSG 'boxes.  Many people couple them with an engine tune from a different supplier.  From what I've seen TVS engine tunes are less well known. 

Have a look around on this forum for more info about tuners - many people are prepared to pay more for the engine tune that they believe is better for their car.

The most talked about custom ones on this forum are mrc and unicorn. 
unicorn is a 8 hour round trip although it may be worth it I’m not bothered. Mrc was my choice from day one but seeing their prices kind of put me off when rtech does it for nearly 1/3 of the price. 
I’ve been checking out the rtech Facebook page and see a few mk7 R there with some decent figures. 
https://m.facebook.com/RTechRemaps/photos/pcb.3464967436895497/3464967126895528/?type=3&source=48&refid=52&__tn__=EH-R

problem is there’s not much reviews on the forums for rtech and tsi engines.