camelsac2002

Thermostat housing.

I had the thermostat housing leak affliction earlier in the year so had it replaced along with the water pump. Question is - did VW modify the thermostat housing to prevent future leaks or are we fitting a duff part with another duff part?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

I had the thermostat housing leak affliction earlier in the year so had it replaced along with the water pump. Question is - did VW modify the thermostat housing to prevent future leaks or are we fitting a duff part with another duff part?emoji848.png

I’ve read (on forums) that VW revised the thermostat housing to one with metal components.  However no idea if this is true and there’s a few people in here have had more than one fail!   Mine had a new one fitted a few weeks back and I meant to ask but forgot.  

I’ve read (on forums) that VW revised the thermostat housing to one with metal components.  However no idea if this is true and there’s a few people in here have had more than one fail!   Mine had a new one fitted a few weeks back and I meant to ask but forgot.  

Maybe a proper one on the mk8 will be an option in the Performance Pack whereas base model, poverty spec cars will have the old one.

21 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

Maybe a proper one on the mk8 will be an option in the Performance Pack whereas base model, poverty spec cars will have the old one. emoji23.png

PP gets the revised termo housing along with battery cover, lower engine cover, full under tray and bonnet insulation that doesn’t shrink.  And I’m sure I’ve missed half a dozen other things. 😂

If only it had the gas bonnet struts though! 😠

PP gets the revised termo housing along with battery cover, lower engine cover, full under tray and bonnet insulation that doesn’t shrink.  And I’m sure I’ve missed half a dozen other things. 

If only it had the gas bonnet struts though! 

You’re just being silly now.......

2 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

I had the thermostat housing leak affliction earlier in the year so had it replaced along with the water pump. Question is - did VW modify the thermostat housing to prevent future leaks or are we fitting a duff part with another duff part?emoji848.png

I've read that VW have made several different revisions, but have no idea if they finally managed to make one that doesn't leak (and if they have. I'd like to know the part number so I can make sure I don't get one of the old leak-prone ones if when I have to replace mine)

My thermostat housing is now leaking coolant & GSF sell an INA housing & water pump for £185 (if you use their discount code). Wondering if it’s worth a punt because genuine parts seem to fail at an alarming rate.

My thermostat housing is now leaking coolant & GSF sell an INA housing & water pump for £185 (if you use their discount code). Wondering if it’s worth a punt because genuine parts seem to fail at an alarming rate.

Do you think this part will be any better?

Just now, camelsac2002 said:

Do you think this part will be any better?

Not really, but if it’s going to fail anyway I’d rather fit a cheaper version. I only wanted to know if non OEM would work okay. I’m planning on fitting myself so don’t mind paying £200 every time it needs replacing. 

10 hours ago, PEHZY said:

I’ve been told the original part number started with an A but is now at M!

That seems to indicate some quite serious faults in the VW "upgrading" process if it takes that many iterations to fix a known issue (and does anyone know if the latest version is actually leak-proof ?  I have my doubts judging by past performances.....)

I don't understand why a 3rd party manufacturer hasn't seized the opportunity to make a more robust cover that doesn't fail as often as the OEM crap that VW has been churning out.  It seems that it wouldn't be too difficult to produce an actual improvement (rather than keep making different "upgraded" versions that still leak).

Just for the record... R estate, 16 Plate, 78k miles here. Chalk up another victim of the thermostat housing leak issue.

Had coolant alarm with coolant level sudden drop, leading to diagnosis of thermostat housing leak.

Replaced water pump & thermostat at local VW garage at a cost of £950 (local indie quoted the same). Deeply unimpressed 😕