Jump to content
Msportman

FL RS3 or Pre Facelift RS3? Does FL RS3 justify price hike?

Recommended Posts

Any RS3 owners like to chime in on this?

 

Looking for opinion on whether the earlier pre FL RS3 is that far behind the Aluminium block 2017 FL RS3 in terms of overall handling on a stock car?

 

I know you start with a 400bhp starting point with the FL and it has a lighter engine but the price difference in the two cars used is quite significant.

 

Ive seen a few cheap but low mileage 2015-16 RS3’s but good spec FL cars can be nearly £8-12k more for a 17-18 plate car.

 

Was thinking maybe a early stage RS3 with a stage 2 and some KW’s and get brakes sorted??

 

Or just blow budget on FL RS3??

 

or revert back to another year saving for A45S before we all go electric !!! Pah! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel I have a good viewpoint here, I have "tested" a pre facelift rs3 and I own a facelift. Going off the mods you have done to your R and the track time it sometimes gets I would recommend the facelift. the handling out of the box is on par with the golf if not a little better imo compared to disappointing PFL handling which I put down to weight and setup of the car. 

From a modification standpoint the FL is much more tuneable and dare I say it more reliable also and this I would say is a big deciding factor also as they come alive with some magic. 

 

The most important question though is what draws you to the RS3 over your R? 

 

PFL Stage 2 is generally not worth doing as the outlay does not get you much for your £ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sequence said:

I feel I have a good viewpoint here, I have "tested" a pre facelift rs3 and I own a facelift. Going off the mods you have done to your R and the track time it sometimes gets I would recommend the facelift. the handling out of the box is on par with the golf if not a little better imo compared to disappointing PFL handling which I put down to weight and setup of the car. 

From a modification standpoint the FL is much more tuneable and dare I say it more reliable also and this I would say is a big deciding factor also as they come alive with some magic. 

 

The most important question though is what draws you to the RS3 over your R? 

 

PFL Stage 2 is generally not worth doing as the outlay does not get you much for your £ 

 

I second this.

 

The FL RS3 is very much on a par with the  mk7 R as stock in terms of handling , much more neutral setup than the PFL which was set up with the usual Quattro understeer, the FL is much more playful when pushing on and can even be provoked into a little oversteer in the wet . The stock damping is spot on for fast road IMO just supple enough to not be "crashy" over rough surfaces but weights up superbly. I suspect with a good coilover kit , stiffer ARB's and some camber adjustments it could be seriously quick on track . Some people have had issues with camber adjustment plates causing clunking and others haven't but that could just be down to installation issues. 

 

The PFL cast block cars sound phenomenal especially with the RS sports exhaust, the FL Aluminium block cars are slightly muted by comparison but honestly it still sounds tremendous (the RS exhaust is a must have option). Tuning options for the FL are bonkers with stage 2 cars regularly making circa 550bhp.

 

If you manage to get a test drive in 1 check what boots it is wearing , the OE pirelli can be a bit lethal in the wet but stellar in the dry. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sequence said:

I feel I have a good viewpoint here, I have "tested" a pre facelift rs3 and I own a facelift. Going off the mods you have done to your R and the track time it sometimes gets I would recommend the facelift. the handling out of the box is on par with the golf if not a little better imo compared to disappointing PFL handling which I put down to weight and setup of the car. 

From a modification standpoint the FL is much more tuneable and dare I say it more reliable also and this I would say is a big deciding factor also as they come alive with some magic. 

 

The most important question though is what draws you to the RS3 over your R? 

 

PFL Stage 2 is generally not worth doing as the outlay does not get you much for your £ 


The draw was yet another wet weekend of boredom and “what could I replace my R with” either next year or year after.

 

The thought of that 5 pot warble is a great draw as we move ever closer to the hybrid / electric era now looming.

 

I tried a M2 Comp recently and it was nice when dry but skittish and nervous in the damp or dry. Replacing rear tyres ain’t my thing showboating ( Joe Achilles!)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can put up with small (but useable) rear seats then get the TTRS. 

 

I’ve had a Golf R, PFL RS3, lengthy drives in FL RS3’s and now on my second TTRS. 

 

PFL RS3 is just outrageously loud and brilliant for it.  If you are after a true 5-pot warble, it’s the one to buy. 
 

FL RS3 (pre OPF) sounds much quieter inside but still great from the outside.  It’s marginally quicker but not much in it, however, it tunes really well and actually is possibly more interesting to listen to.  The engines really are chalk and cheese.  The biggest difference though is the handling.  FL car feels like it’s 100kg lighter over the front axle, never mind 26kg. 
 

But as above, if you can put up with the slightly less practical side of it then go for the TTRS.  Handling is a serious step up over even a FL RS3, it’s usefully lighter, faster and the interior is a quantum leap forward.  And the best bit is that despite costing £8k more new, they can now be had for the same price like for like.  A stage 1+ tune will have you to 3.0s and 7.0s to 60/100mph. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Msportman said:


The draw was yet another wet weekend of boredom and “what could I replace my R with” either next year or year after.

 

The thought of that 5 pot warble is a great draw as we move ever closer to the hybrid / electric era now looming.

 

I tried a M2 Comp recently and it was nice when dry but skittish and nervous in the damp or dry. Replacing rear tyres ain’t my thing showboating ( Joe Achilles!)

 

 

It is a nice sound I will give you that though I'm now seriously considering stage2 so I can actually hear it! mine is an opf car so even more so quieter than pre opf but these are so well insulated you really don't hear much. 

 

I have now had my RS for 9 months and I miss some parts of the R like a generally lighter and more agile car, my R made more noise and at lower speeds etc so was a much more exciting daily car. It was also more comfortable as a daily as the RS gearbox is not as intuitive as the 7 speed in the R and you find yourself having to intervene quite often as it wants to just lug the engine all the time and sport mode is just not usable unless you are hammering it.

 

A TTRS as mentioned could be a good option but I don't have experience of these.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes TBH I hadn’t considered the TTRS

 

I’m going to have a quick trawl and see what’s about.

 

Is adaptive dampers standard on the TTRS?

 

If they are would you go Bilstein or KW or is the ride too good to swap it out for track use?

 

The TTRS looks that more aggressive than the stock and TTS.

 

Ste running costs similar to the R?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm literally in the same boat of looking at all those vehicle's mentioned. From what i can tell on some RS3 groups, majoirty all favour/suggest the FL RS3 (they still sound decent enough) is the one to go for instead of the PFL RS3

Most keep telling me to the keep hold of the Clubsport instead as i will find it boring? or if anything go for the M2 Comp.

I was eyeing up a TTRS though, what a stunning car!

I really need to try and get out in an RS3 though to expierence it myself. only thing is, i'm only after 1 colour choice, daytona grey. I'm thinking when the new 2021 RS3 comes out then some of the older ones go even cheaper? 

Also, was all FL RS3's not equipped with the OPF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Msportman said:

Yes TBH I hadn’t considered the TTRS

 

I’m going to have a quick trawl and see what’s about.

 

Is adaptive dampers standard on the TTRS?

 

If they are would you go Bilstein or KW or is the ride too good to swap it out for track use?

 

The TTRS looks that more aggressive than the stock and TTS.

 

Ste running costs similar to the R?

Running costs are a good chunk more expensive than the R but not unmanageable. 

 

1 minute ago, r600_clubsport said:

i'm literally in the same boat of looking at all those vehicle's mentioned. From what i can tell on some RS3 groups, majoirty all favour/suggest the FL RS3 (they still sound decent enough) is the one to go for instead of the PFL RS3

Most keep telling me to the keep hold of the Clubsport instead as i will find it boring? or if anything go for the M2 Comp.

I was eyeing up a TTRS though, what a stunning car!

I really need to try and get out in an RS3 though to expierence it myself. only thing is, i'm only after 1 colour choice, daytona grey. I'm thinking when the new 2021 RS3 comes out then some of the older ones go even cheaper? 

Also, was all FL RS3's not equipped with the OPF?

2017/18 RS3 FL are non opf  2019/20 are opf  

 

Handling will be a downgrade over a clubsport for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sequence said:

2017/18 RS3 FL are non opf  2019/20 are opf  

 

Handling will be a downgrade over a clubsport for sure.


ah ok, cheers for clearing that up for me, i guess IF i do decide to go for one, i'd try aim for the 17/18 FL instead. But i have been watching fair videos lately of the OPF one's with a "valve controller" ? sounds decent if don't wanna start going down that bypassing filter stuff
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, r600_clubsport said:


ah ok, cheers for clearing that up for me, i guess IF i do decide to go for one, i'd try aim for the 17/18 FL instead. But i have been watching fair videos lately of the OPF one's with a "valve controller" ? sounds decent if don't wanna start going down that bypassing filter stuff
 

Valve controller is ok it allows more sound at lower revs as the valve control is in the engine map on the RS3 and cant just be coded open like Gti and R, this is beneficial as the valves even in dynamic only open after around 3000 rpm But ultimately you are still getting the same volume. 

 

Also if you are a fan of overrun/pops you get none at all on opf cars without a tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sequence said:

Valve controller is ok it allows more sound at lower revs as the valve control is in the engine map on the RS3 and cant just be coded open like Gti and R, this is beneficial as the valves even in dynamic only open after around 3000 rpm But ultimately you are still getting the same volume. 

 

Also if you are a fan of overrun/pops you get none at all on opf cars without a tune.

 

yeah i like the overun noise, yeah read thats why most go get tuned to get that back but i don't think i could be doing with the headache come MOT day where OPF delete has been done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save yourself the money and get a secondhand pre OPF car. 
 

Running costs are extremely reasonable.  7th gear is longer which helps on longer runs, tyres are similar cost, Audi will price match local garages for servicing etc etc.  And strong residuals also make up for a lot so it probably wouldn’t end up costing any more than a Golf R.  
 

I loved my Golf R and still think it’s the best daily I’ve had.  But an RS3/TTRS really is a step up, and so it should be for the additional cost.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...