Msportman

FL RS3 or Pre Facelift RS3? Does FL RS3 justify price hike?

If you can put up with small (but useable) rear seats then get the TTRS. 

I’ve had a Golf R, PFL RS3, lengthy drives in FL RS3’s and now on my second TTRS. 

PFL RS3 is just outrageously loud and brilliant for it.  If you are after a true 5-pot warble, it’s the one to buy. 

FL RS3 (pre OPF) sounds much quieter inside but still great from the outside.  It’s marginally quicker but not much in it, however, it tunes really well and actually is possibly more interesting to listen to.  The engines really are chalk and cheese.  The biggest difference though is the handling.  FL car feels like it’s 100kg lighter over the front axle, never mind 26kg. 

But as above, if you can put up with the slightly less practical side of it then go for the TTRS.  Handling is a serious step up over even a FL RS3, it’s usefully lighter, faster and the interior is a quantum leap forward.  And the best bit is that despite costing £8k more new, they can now be had for the same price like for like.  A stage 1+ tune will have you to 3.0s and 7.0s to 60/100mph. 

Just need to find one without the daft 20” wheels!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Save yourself the money and get a secondhand pre OPF car. 

Running costs are extremely reasonable.  7th gear is longer which helps on longer runs, tyres are similar cost, Audi will price match local garages for servicing etc etc.  And strong residuals also make up for a lot so it probably wouldn’t end up costing any more than a Golf R.  

I loved my Golf R and still think it’s the best daily I’ve had.  But an RS3/TTRS really is a step up, and so it should be for the additional cost.  

Brakes are quite a bit more expensive though but that said, even with some hard daily use but no trackdays, my discs and pads lasted four years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Doc83 said:

Save yourself the money and get a secondhand pre OPF car. 

Running costs are extremely reasonable.  7th gear is longer which helps on longer runs, tyres are similar cost, Audi will price match local garages for servicing etc etc.  And strong residuals also make up for a lot so it probably wouldn’t end up costing any more than a Golf R.  

I loved my Golf R and still think it’s the best daily I’ve had.  But an RS3/TTRS really is a step up, and so it should be for the additional cost.  

Completely agree wifh the a above

Ive had both pfl and fl, the facelift is a much better ride and the handling is alot different and better than the pfl

The only thing my pfl had over my fl was the noise, they sound amazing. Neither cars felt that quick untill i got a remap on the fl. Complete animal now

Had my FL (2018) RS3 since March...

Golf R is probably better value for money, but all is forgotten as soon as you hear the sound of the Audi 5 cylinder - the sports exhaust is a 'must'. For me the pre FL RS3 wasn't a big enough step up over an R in terms of power and tech, hence I choose the FL.

Sure, there's a new RS3 just round the corner but it won't be massively faster and it'll start at £50k, so probably cost £55k by the time you've added a couple of nice options.

I had an 8P RS3 for 3 years and loved it.
Also had the 8V when it came out in 2015 and loved that even more, sold it in 17 for a FL G7.5R because I’d always liked the Golf.
Had the R for 6 months then was offered a deal on the new FL RS3 that meant 5K off list.
Had the FL RS3 since then and I’m seriously wondering what could ever replace it, as it does everything so well as a daily driver.

Did look at a TCR Golf earlier this year but it didn’t have the event factor the RS3 has.
The Daza 2.5 is such a superb engine and responds very well to some light fettling/mods.

Couple this with some choice suspension / brake / tyre change mods and it’s damn near perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been having thoughts about changing to a FL RS3  , I couldn't decide between saloon or fastback but owing to hobbies requiring load space the FB was really the only option

I also toyed with the idea of A45s but don't like the styling and I got the R instead of an A45 because of the harsh ride

In the end I have decided I would gain very little over the R for another £30K so have finally decided to go stage 1 and keep the R

Out of interest a standard RS3 is cheaper to insure than a tuned R by about £60 for me