NRW

What will make you switch to an Electric Car?

1 hour ago, Richard_Nottm said:

Something i didn't consider was motorbikes, an enthusiasts toy!   

The 100 mph average Isle of Man TT has already been cracked by an Electric Bike  👍

19 hours ago, Cranester83 said:

Problem they have is that if they engage ludicrous mode they will probably have to limp to the nearest charger 🤣

the power is a great toy - but in real world it decimates range more so than caning a 2.0 4pot would. 

another thing that puts me off is the differential in range depending on where you live in the world / ambient temperature. Range is noticeably different in the winter than it is in the summer on most cars. 

True.  When I refer to my hypothetical acceptance criteria of five minute full recharge and > 300 mile range, that's under worst-case conditions, i.e. broiling hot weather with a/c going full blast, bitter cold and full heat, mountainous terrain, continuous Interstate/Motorway/Autoban speed, liberal use of the Ludicrous button, etc.  No babying, no reduced power, no exceptions, no nonsense. 

Unless you are really, really sold on the idea of electric cars, my advice would be to sit tight for at least 5 years. Current cars are very much ‘first generation’ (yes, including Tesla’s) because they are all based on very old (Li ion) battery technology. Manufacturers are trying to improve batteries by tweaking this tech, but it’s never going to work. As a result, batteries are way too heavy (by at least a factor of 2), take far too long to recharge, and are badly affected by extremes of temperature, especially sub-zero conditions in winter. All this will result in a lot of “range anxiety”, especially given the pretty awful state of our rapid-charging infrastructure. OK for popping down the shops in your Renault Zoe I suppose, but only if you can afford the £27k asking price, and that includes a £3k govt grant that isn’t going to be around forever. Crazy prices for a little city car.

Solid state batteries are the way forward, but scaled up versions suitable to power high performance cars are still several years away. Relax and enjoy your ICE car while you still can. 2030 is a very ambitious target anyway (only about 6% of new UK car sales in 2020 were pure e-cars) and the date may well be revised - especially if we get a new government in 4 years’ time. Petrol itself will also continue to be freely available for at least the next 15 years. And finally, as others have said, the e-car brigade aren’t going to get away without paying VED (or some other form of driving tax) for much longer either.

Just as an amusing aside, here is a bloke who couldn’t really handle the immediate power delivery of his new Porsche Taycan. You will have to scroll down a bit for the video…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8970109/Parking-fail-Porsche-hits-SUV-driveway-careers-wall-lands-car.html

I think a number of you are underestimating the current trends in electric car production. On current trends a typical eclectic car will cost £1.5k more than petrol car to produce by some point in 2022 and the same price by 2024 so cost to purchase will not be an issue in a very few years. Whilst battery capacity is not likely to make massive steps, changes in the costs, materials - less exotic trace elements and longevity will be quite significant. Even now Tesla owners are now reporting as little as 10% loss in capacity over 100,000 miles

All well and good but given how expensive Teslas are, they probably don’t live in an area that only has on street parking or in a block of flats with no garage so they probably don’t have an issue charging. What about people living in cities who come home from work and can’t park outside their house?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wheel size, passengers, air con etc will all impact range i guess.  Is the ambient temp and range related to how batteries perform?

I'm also worried about getting knocked over by a silent hypercar crossing the road with my ageing golden retriever!

Something i didn't consider was motorbikes, an enthusiasts toy!   

.......or something with a ‘bike engine in it........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 24/11/2020 at 06:30, PeggySue said:

I think a number of you are underestimating the current trends in electric car production. On current trends a typical eclectic car will cost £1.5k more than petrol car to produce by some point in 2022 and the same price by 2024 so cost to purchase will not be an issue in a very few years. Whilst battery capacity is not likely to make massive steps, changes in the costs, materials - less exotic trace elements and longevity will be quite significant. 

I'd love to see some links to substantiated research that supports your assertion.  Can you please show us some ?  

2022 is not very far away when you consider designing a new car and making a factory to produce the car and associated bits (batteries, electric motors, control units, wiring, chargers etc), then you need to pass all regulatory hurdles (crash testing, proving claims re consumption, range etc).  Not to mention building up to the volumes needed to get decent economies of scale (pure electric cars sales are currently a miniscule %ge of total car sales).

2022 seems wildly optimistic to me given the current prices for electric cars vs an equivalent petrol car.

Twin engined Tesla 3 seems to be improving incrementally.  D one a bit reading, checking, watching.
A useable range, and the mid spec model seems to go quite well.  Just the looks and the cockpit that irks. So like a new R then😂

If ICE car sales ceased, I’d have to seriously consider one. 
Must admit tho, they don’t exactly set me alight. 

1 minute ago, NRW said:

Twin engined Tesla 3 seems to be improving incrementally.  D one a bit reading, checking, watching.
A useable range, and the mid spec model seems to go quite well.  Just the looks and the cockpit that irks. So like a new R then😂

If ICE car sales ceased, I’d have to seriously consider one. 
Must admit tho, they don’t exactly set me alight. 

Tesla interiors don't inspire me either, but that's easily remedied.  If Tesla doesn't do it, its competitors will.  Electric car prices will likely become more competitive as well, though who knows when.  It's the range and recharge time that remains a question mark.

My current thoughts are, and have been for a while that I will keep the 'R' for quite some time as it's only just over a year old and paid for. Not sure it will ever become a classic to everyone, but It does everything I want so well when I do use it rather than my wife's diesel fiesta .
My decision will come in the next 3-4 years time when the fiesta needs changing, what then??? It might seem strange at that point to pay a large chunk of cash out on another petrol/diesel car? But what will be available electric wise in another 3-4 years time?
And if I do keep the 'R' indefinitely, what will be the cost implications? Some people I speak to think fuel may become cheaper or stay a relatively similar price due to supply and demand? But then as others have pointed out I'm sure the government will want to claw back some cash when a large percentage of the population have stopped paying road tax as they have gone electric?
What about all the people who have older classic cars?? My neighbour has two mk1 GTI's, are they just going to become expensive garage artwork?
So many questions..................

Somebody will steal the two Mk1 Golfs and crash them....Like the loss of a child they’re so loveable and precious....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk