I would be surprised if many had done this to such new vehicles to be honest as they would not then technically be legal to drive on the road and would invalidate the remaining warranty on the engine at the very least. But I may of  course be mistaken.

On 04/12/2020 at 03:25, Trekkkie said:

I would be surprised if many had done this to such new vehicles to be honest as they would not then technically be legal to drive on the road and would invalidate the remaining warranty on the engine at the very least. But I may of  course be mistaken.

I think you would probably need a tune as well, so the engine knows about the less restrictive exhaust (and to stop the obvious error messages about the missing GPFs).

That is so irresponsible, the de-catting in particular. All for the sake of some crap noises I would hate to have coming from the car. Come the first MOT it will cost a fortune to put right.

others may well think differently of course. 

What I am surprised by is them putting this out on a YouTube video. Simply doing the cat and gpf removal opens them to some pretty serious fines if the vehicle is found on the road

The law

Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

The potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van, lorry or bus.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 75) it is an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful. A person altering the vehicle (if they knew or believed that the vehicle would be used on the road) could be found guilty of an offence under the Act.

Potential penalties are unlimited fines.

Yep, these SA guys are skating on pretty thin ice. No mention in this "advertising video" of some thing that is mentioned on their website.. "Removal of a PPF is likely to make your vehicle illegal for use on a public road" - except that there is no "likely" about it. 

You would, of course, also (effectively) be driving without insurance, as no insurance company would cover you of they knew about this mod. And immediate "voiding of policy" if discovered in the event of an accident (or a Police stop), which means that it would be very difficult to get insurance cover in the future. And, as you say, all for what?

Wow butchery at its finest!!! can't see me ever doing anything like that. It going to drone and that farting all the time after about 30 seconds I would hate it. Plus all the legalities and loss of warranty etc. nahhhhhhh.

I like the noise off Big Ron 👍🏼 in sport mode he sounds just fine. 

I reckon you’d get away with doing the GPF as the car would still pass emissions come MOT time if the Cat is there and to the naked eye the GPF will look like it’s still there. You’re also not going to get black smoke like you would on a diesel.

Not something that interests me personally, I’d rather have the clean exhaust pipes

Read about this when I started looking into tuning.

The risks simply aren’t worth it. Changing the exhaust etc makes sense if you want a different tone from it. Removing the GPF and having to put it all back for every MOT (or find a dodgy mot station) just doesn’t warrant the returns you will get.

It’s not just a case of refitting the GPF you’d need to recode it every time as well as the air flow and temps

will be wildly different and throw up numerous codes. This just seems a complete faff for a bit more noise (And maybe 20-30hp). Is that really worth it?

As enthusiasts who love that bit of extra power there’s always a debate that goes into each decision we do.

The answer always returns to the end result: No.

Jon

40 minutes ago, muzza said:

Read about this when I started looking into tuning.

The risks simply aren’t worth it. Changing the exhaust etc makes sense if you want a different tone from it. Removing the GPF and having to put it all back for every MOT (or find a dodgy mot station) just doesn’t warrant the returns you will get.

It’s not just a case of refitting the GPF you’d need to recode it every time as well as the air flow and temps

will be wildly different and throw up numerous codes. This just seems a complete faff for a bit more noise (And maybe 20-30hp). Is that really worth it?

As enthusiasts who love that bit of extra power there’s always a debate that goes into each decision we do.

The answer always returns to the end result: No.

Jon

If using the method in the above video, to the naked eye the GPF is still there so it would pass an MOT if the cat is untouched. The MOT tester would have no way of checking if the GPF was working or not, as unlike a diesel you won’t have any issues with black smoke or anything else like that.

Like you though, I wouldn’t bother

47 minutes ago, Deano said:

If using the method in the above video, to the naked eye the GPF is still there so it would pass an MOT if the cat is untouched. The MOT tester would have no way of checking if the GPF was working or not, as unlike a diesel you won’t have any issues with black smoke or anything else like that.

Like you though, I wouldn’t bother

I love pushing grey lines when I can. This is beyond that line. I get what you’re saying though. Most people would be happy with stage 2 (400bhp ish) which is apparently possible with Revo. Only downside is it’s so new most people haven’t tried it yet. I’m going to take a week or two to think on it as it doesn’t make sense to me how they have managed it but top tuners (unicorn for example) haven’t.

Jon

1 hour ago, PaulR said:

It just has to pass emissions. If it does no issues. The minimum in terms of law is that exhaust gasses have to pass through a silencer. 

Thats’s incorrect. Any modification to a vehicles emissions systems is an MOT failure

On 10/12/2020 at 11:56, muzza said:

I love pushing grey lines when I can. This is beyond that line. I get what you’re saying though. Most people would be happy with stage 2 (400bhp ish) which is apparently possible with Revo. Only downside is it’s so new most people haven’t tried it yet. I’m going to take a week or two to think on it as it doesn’t make sense to me how they have managed it but top tuners (unicorn for example) haven’t.

Jon

absolutey doesn’t.

Any sign of welding or modification of the GPF filter will be an instant fail on an MOT.

Unless you know a dodgy mot station it simply isn’t worth it. Even with the contacts I have it’s not worth the risk. It’s not something I would risk honestly especially with how hot the police are with mods and modded car around here.

Don’t risk it mate.

Jon