PJD

First Golf 8R reviews

Good find and seems a positive review overall. Will be interesting to see other reviews over the next few weeks.

Few errors though, referring to 20" wheels, I thought the max size is 19" as an option. 

Also the 0-60 they refer to, I thought it was 0.1s quicker than the old car (prob WLTP car). Not that it really matters.

Hard plastics and the slow responding touch screen don't sound great.

The drive sounds like its good.

1 hour ago, PJD said:

It was also posted up in the other thread too thus morning, with a bit of comment on it in there. 

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/37387-mk8-golf-r-reveal-4-nov-on-dtd-c2c-and-vw-configurator/?do=findComment&comment=562335

I wonder if the 20" wheels is a typo.

The 0-62 time in most reviews back in 2017 was 4.6 seconds with the 7 speed DSG, so I was surprised that the MK8 times are slower, yet the reviews now say it is quicker?

I’ll sticky this thread and slightly amend the title.  If people could please post up other 8R reviews in here then it keeps them all in one place and easy for anyone interested to find.  Thanks all.  👍

50 minutes ago, Juicetin said:

Those wheels look big on the car, perhaps they are 20s. although no mention of that anywhere in the specs. 

Replacement 20”Tyres @ £215 a piece. 😳

Here is the Evo one. Being Evo, its all the 'mechanical stuff', with barely a mention of the interior. The thing that caught my eye was the claim that it was 17 seconds faster than the Mk 7 (presumably 7.5) around the Nürburgring. I know that's a 13 mile circuit, but giving the mk 7 seventeen seconds start is quite a lot! Obviously on super sticky tyres, etc.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/21153/2020-volkswagen-golf-r-priced-from-ps39270

That seems like a really lazy "review". It's more a first impressions piece at best. The wheel size may be a mistake, but they also talk about DCC like it's standard and conclude that at it's base price, which doesn't include DCC or larger wheels, it supposedly offers a lot for the money. Does it really? I still can't see how the R is value when it's more expensive than a similarly specced S3. 

I'll wait for a decent review before making judgements but the touch controls, fixed headrest, insane price and that feeding manta ray front end are doing nothing for me.

7 minutes ago, Rex2017 said:

That seems like a really lazy "review". It's more a first impressions piece at best. The wheel size may be a mistake, but they also talk about DCC like it's standard and conclude that at it's base price, which doesn't include DCC or larger wheels, it supposedly offers a lot for the money. Does it really? I still can't see how the R is value when it's more expensive than a similarly specced S3. 

I'll wait for a decent review before making judgements but the touch controls, fixed headrest, insane price and that feeding manta ray front end are doing nothing for me.

Exactly what I was thinking, lazy, poorly constructed, typos etc.

I don't think the EVO one is a review, they don't talk about actually driving it like they do with Autocar. I'm sure we sill start to see the driving views appearing from today onwards.