PJD

Golf 8R reviews

4 minutes ago, Wrex said:

🤔 wonder if the standard seats are that bad ? 

Yeah...I'm a little worried about that.  Not sure I like them after seeing more images of them...wish they were plain like the Clubsport! 

7 minutes ago, Wrex said:

🤔 wonder if the standard seats are that bad ? 

Agree first time i have read it......Hard to think that they are worse than the GTI, or R-line... But it is different type of material that might feel cheaper but  isn`t ....🤪

Impressive performance but the Mk8 is just not doing it for me.  Ugly front end, ugly cabin, too much touchscreen stuff, higher prices.  Nice to see a bit of extra BHP and torque and the new rear diff but that is almost the least they could have done.

The only thing that would have piqued my interest is a 370bhp 'factory mod' (ie. no warranty and insurance hassles)  but doesn't look like that is going to be the case in the UK (a work colleague on the continent reports his VW dealer has said that it will be an option there, and he is going to order one on that basis ... he has previously had a Mk7 R).

If they tweaked the looks and cabin design in a quick facelift, I might reconsider.  Otherwise will be sticking with my trusty Mk7 for the next few years and probably go electric after that.  With ICE being phased out after 2030 we are getting close to the end of the window for buying a petrol/diesel car IMO.  I suppose PCP/PCHers aren't going to be too worried about it though.

Review of the 8R vs the GTI CS in today's Auto Express*, which made the front cover.

Pretty predictable stuff and nothing that would really surprise anyone on here.

One thing I didn't realise though.. the seats are exactly the same, just different fabrics..

The 'side-box' on how these cars can be financed was actually more interesting than the main article!

*Not available on line yet, as they hold that back for a few days after the print version comes out.

AE cover March 2021.jpg