Golf mk8 R order thread - post your order details!

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here she is! What a beast! She come with Hankooks (no PP) literally in love! 

Collected earlier on this afternoon.   Top drawer service from VW Stockport I have to say! There were a few people actually waiting for it to be driven out and a couple came over to tell me

😉

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dopper99 said:

When did you order your car? Adding 1 week to the lead time isn’t bad and I’m half thinking about adding HUD. 
I ordered mine in April but I don’t want to add like 10 weeks to the delivery time!

Get it added Andy, you wont regret it when the car arrives

8 minutes ago, JaseW said:

Get it added Andy, you wont regret it when the car arrives

Yeah I had HUD on my Merc C63S and quite liked it Jase. But for whatever reason I just didn’t bother on my 8R order. Probably because it’s a nice to have rather than something essential like DCC. But I kind of fancy it now especially as the months go by and I’m saving loads of money with not having a car!

Just don’t want it to jeopardise the lead time else I’ll leave it. 

I’ll see what James says. 

2 hours ago, Brad182 said:

I added HUD to my order last week, I should have just done it when I first ordered the car but there we go. 

Car went from build week 47 to 48 but I’m not expecting it to be built in either of those based on others dates being pushed. 

Well I’m surprised it’s only added one extra week! 🤯👍🏼That’s great but yeah like you say, not expecting it to be built then anyway 😆😂 Also great that you have been given week 47 (now 48) having ordered end of June. Ive been advised week 47 having ordered mid May ! 🤦🏻‍♂️ But to be honest I don’t mind the wait, I would rather them sort out the current gremlins 🤔(here’s to living in hope 😂)

But I’ve decided that the only way I’m going to put this to bed is to call the local VW dealer and see if they have car with that option so I can see it with my own eyes 👀 My concerns are that I won’t like the glare from the unit on windscreen or having the reading in my line of vision 😵 (not having had it before)

Were these two things of any concern for you, or have you had HUD before ? 

Thanks for letting me know about the waiting time 👍🏼

4 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Well I’m surprised it’s only added one extra week! 🤯👍🏼That’s great but yeah like you say, not expecting it to be built then anyway 😆😂 Also great that you have been given week 47 (now 48) having ordered end of June. Ive been advised week 47 having ordered mid May ! 🤦🏻‍♂️ But to be honest I don’t mind the wait, I would rather them sort out the current gremlins 🤔(here’s to living in hope 😂)

But I’ve decided that the only way I’m going to put this to bed is to call the local VW dealer and see if they have car with that option so I can see it with my own eyes 👀 My concerns are that I won’t like the glare from the unit on windscreen or having the reading in my line of vision 😵 (not having had it before)

I was worried about the HUD being a distraction initially but after seeing a couple of videos of it in use I added it to my order about 3 weeks after I initially ordered. 

This is my first car with HUD and I love it. With it being quite low, I can completely ignore it if I want to. It isn't 'in your face' at all. Even though there is the outline of the unit on the screen too, I have forgot about it to be honest and it really doesn't bother me. 

100% spec it again.

1 minute ago, JaseW said:

I was worried about the HUD being a distraction initially but after seeing a couple of videos of it in use I added it to my order about 3 weeks after I initially ordered. 

This is my first car with HUD and I love it. With it being quite low, I can completely ignore it if I want to. It isn't 'in your face' at all. Even though there is the outline of the unit on the screen too, I have forgot about it to be honest and it really doesn't bother me. 

100% spec it again.

Same here. Never had it before but fancied giving it a go and it’s second nature to have the HUD now. Don’t find it a distraction at all.  

14 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

You can alter the position and brightness of the HUD display so there is some leeway like that.  It’s configurable in the Vehicle Settings if you do get chance to test one out. 

I must say, if I hadn’t had to pay so much tax and the prices here were like in the UK, I would have gone full Booth-mode and checked just about every box except sunroof (which I really hate) and winter packs (no actual winter here. winter tires are a myth, we’ve heard of them but they don’t actually exist here).

Unfortunately, such a package here would have run me at £100k so I had to curb my enthusiasm and settle for HK and DCC only (still coming to 85k).

I believe that you regret things you don’t do more than you regret things you did do … my spouse said that to me 15 years ago, that’s why I’m a father today :-)
(kidding, of course)

8 minutes ago, AHG said:

I must say, if I hadn’t had to pay so much tax and the prices here were like in the UK, I would have gone full Booth-mode and checked just about every box except sunroof (which I really hate) and winter packs (no actual winter here. winter tires are a myth, we’ve heard of them but they don’t actually exist here).

Unfortunately, such a package here would have run me at £100k so I had to curb my enthusiasm and settle for HK and DCC only (still coming to 85k).

I believe that you regret things you don’t do more than you regret things you did do … my spouse said that to me 15 years ago, that’s why I’m a father today 🙂
(kidding, of course)

I exercised a modicum of restraint.  😉   I didn’t tick sunroof (not a fan of them) or Pro Nav (a lot of money for not much extra) and left off a few other things.  😁  But I figured that if I was going to go over the luxury tax threshold (which I was) then I may as well spec it just to my needs and desires.  No regrets!  

Thanks guys @JaseW & @Booth11that’s much appreciated! 👍🏼 It gives me great confidence and reassurance that it’s an awesome product 🤗 Especially knowing that you haven’t owed a car with it before and now you love it! 

O boy… the missis won’t be happy 😆😂

But it’s a safety feature 😇😂

I exercised a modicum of restraint.     I didn’t tick sunroof (not a fan of them) or Pro Nav (a lot of money for not much extra) and left off a few other things.    But I figured that if I was going to go over the luxury tax threshold (which I was) then I may as well spec it just to my needs and desires.  No regrets!  

Only way to go
Never look back
2 hours ago, Booth11 said:

I exercised a modicum of restraint.  😉   I didn’t tick sunroof (not a fan of them) or Pro Nav (a lot of money for not much extra) and left off a few other things.  😁  But I figured that if I was going to go over the luxury tax threshold (which I was) then I may as well spec it just to my needs and desires.  No regrets!  

2 hours ago, AHG said:

I believe that you regret things you don’t do more than you regret things you did do … my spouse said that to me 15 years ago, that’s why I’m a father today 🙂
(kidding, of course)

So much hate for the sunroof.. I love mine 😜 it’s better than the 7.5 one, full width this time which is an improvement. I did have a few squeaks and creeks with the 7.5 - nothing this time around. Despite rarely getting the weather for it.. I love it 🥰 should have spec’d DCC tho 🥲

2 minutes ago, Peter Wynne said:

So much hate for the sunroof.. I love mine 😜 it’s better than the 7.5 one, full width this time which is an improvement. I did have a few squeaks and creeks with the 7.5 - nothing this time around. Despite rarely getting the weather for it.. I love it 🥰 should have spec’d DCC tho 🥲

Haha, no hate for the sunroof from me, just no love for it. 😁

Are you finding the stock ride a bit harsh Peter?  Wonder if the Hankook tyres are contributing factor?  

2 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Haha, no hate for the sunroof from me, just no love for it. 😁

Are you finding the stock ride a bit harsh Peter?  Wonder if the Hankook tyres are contributing factor?  

Isn't the golf 8R using silly high tyre pressures of 3.2 bar/46PSI, thats 10PSI higher than a Mk7R and probably more to do with emissions than performance and also won't do the comfort side any favours either

So much hate for the sunroof.. I love mine it’s better than the 7.5 one, full width this time which is an improvement. I did have a few squeaks and creeks with the 7.5 - nothing this time around. Despite rarely getting the weather for it.. I love it should have spec’d DCC tho 🥲

Oh no, definitely not hate.
My son actually loves it very much (see pic).b76b4f3205ebb89b27974fd43baa8435.jpg

I’m just very sensitive to the sun, and the sunroof on my S3 lets it all in, even with the internal cover on. After getting sunburned on my scalp one time after a long ride, I decided that if I can avoid it, I will.

As per DCC, the ride on my S3 (w/o MagRide) is pretty harsh and I have 18s on, I don’t think I would’ve survived riding on 19s (that is why I did spec the DCC in the 8R).

You can switch to 18s or try other tires. Michelin pilot sport 4 are significantly softer than Bridgestone, so maybe you should try them. It wouldn’t be a waste of money, that’s for sure, they are great tires.

Isn't the golf 8R using silly high tyre pressures of 3.2 bar/46PSI, thats 10PSI higher than a Mk7R and probably more to do with emissions than performance and also won't do the comfort side any favours either

Actually I think the high pressure is to protect the rim, as the Estorils are fairly fragile.

See pic of a guy here with a GTI w/Estorils who dented one of them on a pothole within weeks from purchase.
d7637f9f91a243b0157bf02cac20be81.jpg

I bet that on the 18s the pressure is like in the old GTI/S3 between 38-42.