Golf mk8 R order thread - post your order details!

Welcome along [mention=29968]Noobtacular[/mention] (great name)!  

That’s a superb spec 8R you’ve got!  Congratulations on getting it!  And earlier than you anticipated.  Sounds like first impressions are good.   Be sure to share some pics and more thoughts on it. 

Not sure if you meant to hide your original post but it ca. be reinstated if you wish. 

Cheers Booth11, I wondered where the post went as I just signed up to Tapatalk to make posting easier on the phone and couldn’t see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here she is! What a beast! She come with Hankooks (no PP) literally in love! 

Collected earlier on this afternoon.   Top drawer service from VW Stockport I have to say! There were a few people actually waiting for it to be driven out and a couple came over to tell me

😉

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Noobtacular said:

Cheers Booth11, I wondered where the post went as I just signed up to Tapatalk to make posting easier on the phone and couldn’t see it!

Somehow it got hidden, probably a Tapatalk issue, tbh TT is not the best way to access the VWROC forum as some things don’t work on it.  And the VWROC website is mobile friendly. Anyway that aside, I’ve unhidden your original post which is on the previous page so all is good!  

10 hours ago, dopper99 said:

I think 6 months delivery is very optimistic. Some of us that ordered in April are hoping we'll actually get our cars by March/April.

I think they will move much faster in 2022 than in 2021. Lets hope i am not in a hurry

9 hours ago, Noobtacular said:

Hello everyone, new to the forum but great to see such an engaged and passionate VW group!

I received delivery of my MK8 R this week having ordered back in July, among the lucky few that got it on time/early, original date was December 2021. Even the dealer was surprised that the car came through at this time. 

Harmon Kardon

Winter Pack

Nappa Leather

Proactive Passenger Protection

Head up display 

Rear view camera

DCC 

Performance Pack

Sunroof

Haven’t taken it out for a long drive yet but so far impressed with many parts of the build, although I definitely feel the Dynaudio in my previous MK7.5 R was punchier?

Not 💯 sure but I would think your speakers need time to bed in . Should sound 

better in time 

4 minutes ago, Fletch..gti said:

Not 💯 sure but I would think your speakers need time to bed in . Should sound 

better in time 

Definately needs those burning in hours for the speakers.  You can’t compare a mature Dynaudio to a brand new HK system.  It will improve @Noobtacular  Mine’s developed a better sound now as the hours have gone on (8 months in and 6300 miles).  Overall I find the HK has better clarity but is a little lacking in depth compared to the Dynaudio.  

Definately needs those burning in hours for the speakers.  You can’t compare a mature Dynaudio to a brand new HK system.  It will improve [mention=29968]Noobtacular[/mention]  Mine’s developed a better sound now as the hours have gone on (8 months in and 6300 miles).  Overall I find the HK has better clarity but is a little lacking in depth compared to the Dynaudio.  

Thanks for the clarity fletch..gti and Booth11, the sound is by no means bad in any case but great to hear(!) it improves over time.

On 15/11/2021 at 05:01, Booth11 said:

I personally think it takes a longer than a test drive to get accustomed to the infotainment system and cabin changes in the 8R.  It’s quite a big change from the 7/7.5 with minimal dash architecture and buttonless infotainment system, and there’s no denying that some of the materials are poorer quality, but once you get over that initial shock as it were, and use the car on a daily basis it becomes familiar and you appreciate its finer points and streamlined design.  I very much like the majority of the cabin on the 8R, exceptions are the door card drabness and the lack of cup holder cover, but overall I think it’s an decent evolution and I haven’t missed the buttons or design of old.  

Still, we all have to make decisions based on what we can and can’t accept in those terms, and if there another option that greater meets needs and is within budget etc, then that’s obviously the way to go.  

I haven't been following MK8 topics lately because the arrival of MK8 Rs for sale in the States is still uncertain.  But this weekend I read two separate reviews in US enthusiast magazines that raise concern.  In essence both found the infotainment system baffling enough to render the car less competitive.  One article was a comparison of the R against a (previous generation) Honda Civic Type R.  By almost every measure the MK8 produced superior results.  Yet, the testers essentially eliminated it from consideration because they found the infotainment system so unintuitive it interfered with safe operations and declared it an unacceptably retrograde step.  Another publication nominated the R and GTI for Car of the Year.  Both models were clearly contenders until it came to  infotainment quality, on which they were summarily disqualified.  Among complaints about seemingly endless, illogical menu searches for routine functions and unresponsive pokes and swipes, testers noted that too often they'd accidently touch a button on the steering wheel which would unexpectedly change a setting.  Then they'd have to stop to figure out how to restore it.   Bear in mind this is a car I've been seriously considering to replace the MK7.5 R.  Three thoughts come to mind:  1)  As Becca notes it takes more time to adapt to this system than even an extended road test can provide.  2)  If it's as bad as seasoned testers who otherwise love the car say, VW may need to rethink the architecture if they want to be successful in the US market.  3)  This is not a car to commit to without a thorough demonstration/orientation session.    

3 minutes ago, phope said:

Wolfsburg factory may have an extended Christmas shutdown break lasting into the first fortnight of January... not ideal for anyone whose car build week is already delayed into the new year

1220471608_Screenshot2021-11-29at15_47_22.thumb.png.de3ea02f0584641d3a5b4b2d4c6b5db5.png

my monthly check in is coming up next week and last month I was told it was delayed till week 1 having been put back multiple times. This is prepping me for more dismay as it sounds like it will be going back again. 

ordered mine in April and so far VW have a lot to answer for with all the delays as other manufacturers don’t appear to be as bad. I feel sorry for all the dealers and their sales teams due to all of this going on. 

7 minutes ago, MattH84 said:

Update from dealer , status 38 car is at port awaiting vessel, should arrive before new year.

Ordered mid march.

Spec:

Leather
Ark exhaust
Rear camera
Heads up
Blue color
Non PP

DCC

H and K sound.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

forgot two extras

DCC

H and K sound.

Edited by MattH84
forgot two extras

Just tried to buy a spare wheel and toolkit from VW and they won’t sell you one as it effects the emissions and said I should have ordered one when ordering the car. Unfortunately I don’t remember it being an option available? Anyone managed to get one in advance, I have emailed James to see what he says.