Golf mk8 R order thread - post your order details!

Since when is that infotainment update in place?

I read about it in Jan/Feb or so
Wow! Ours are ordered at exactly the same time. I think mine was ordered 27th May by James at Medway.

I’m celebrating today
exactly 1 year from ordering !!!
(Apr 21, 2021)
f8477bcef76603c31f89472f89fe2d32.jpg
Do I get a sobriety chip or something ?
  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here she is! What a beast! She come with Hankooks (no PP) literally in love! 

Collected earlier on this afternoon.   Top drawer service from VW Stockport I have to say! There were a few people actually waiting for it to be driven out and a couple came over to tell me

😉

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, AHG said:

I thought so too ... however I've not heard of anyone on here who recently received their R saying they've had the new hardware.

Maybe VW have a parts bin of the old hardware that they need to use up first.

Or, as I mentioned earlier, maybe our cars have already been partially built but parked up in a field somewhere waiting for parts.

Who knows (well VW do, but they aint telling us)

Update:

Ordered the 18th May 21.

Latest email reply: We

We have checked the VW system and today your order shows an estimated build week of week 28, which is 11th to 17th of July, however this can change.have

That 70S Show Reaction GIF by Laffchecked the VW system

8 hours ago, AHG said:

I’m celebrating today
exactly 1 year from ordering !!!
(Apr 21, 2021)
f8477bcef76603c31f89472f89fe2d32.jpg
Do I get a sobriety chip or something ?

If you change your car every three years or so better start thinking about the replacement for the R soon and get it ordered...

2 hours ago, Shug said:

If you change your car every three years or so better start thinking about the replacement for the R soon and get it ordered...

My lease is for 4 years once it arrives, but I've already started looking for the next one to wait for...

I’m planning on keeping this one for many years
Probably at least 4-6 years (hopefully more)
as long as I’m happy with it, of course.
(maybe add a 500e, for run around, at some point)

My first Golf was a 1998 1.6 manual mk4
which I bought as new and kept for 11 years
That was the most economic car I ever had
if you consider it full life cycle cost (LCC)

Here is how it looked right before selling it
It wasn’t impeccable but did 40mpg at age 11
Just yearly service, clutch service & fuel pump swap,
never detailed it or anything - just kept it clean.

d5eba7cf70e79df31b52737afa28fd9c.jpg

My other Golf was a GTI MK6 w/6MT
which I bought at 1yo and held for 4 years
also nothing but annual service (5yo in The pic)

533415f7cc47ea121296814ebd0556e9.jpg

Just checked in with Medway, ordered last June has been delayed many times but last update was early March, stating week 19 (early May). 

Today this has been delayed to week 32 (august/September), blaming Ukraine and the 2 week factory shutdown. 

What a complete mess. 

58 minutes ago, Brad182 said:

Duplicate. Sorry! 

I only see one reply haha but damn that sucks, if those who ordered in June or earlier are getting September build weeks, I'll be afraid to ask what mine is now! I'm half expecting them to say may 2023 in which case I'll probably cancel unfortunately.

21 hours ago, NunoR said:

Since when is that infotainment update in place? The bw of my R was last week and it's supposed to be shipped (I hope) next week. Shoud it have that update?

Fairly likely yes. It was implemented around the year change, and even with spill over parts bin, cars built from February forward should have the new hardware. 

On 20/04/2022 at 00:12, Battleshipgray said:

Still no word but I'm assuming the dealer has been closed over Easter - hopefully will hear a bit more this week. Starting to pace the floor now :)

Got a call from the dealer this afternoon - car has arrived!

I'm away with work most of next week (great timing on my part 😄) but it's here. Picking it up next Friday 🤞

15 minutes ago, Son-of-skywalker said:

Ordered early May 21. Build week 9 - stock white with front winter pack only. Update today - car at port of exit awaiting a ship. Should be here in 2-3 weeks...assuming there's no other disasters like the ship being torpedoed by the Russians! 😅

That's great news, but I guess this confirms for me that there's no logic behind confirmed build slots. If only VW would come out and give more of an insight as to what gets prioritised and what doesn't. Unless they don't even know themselves....

I have a feeling that any explanation would make customers angrier than they already are, and hurt their future sales. They usually chose the least irritating option.

I know how that sounds to you :-)
But it’s like insurance would charge you exactly a penny less than the amount you’d say “I’ll risk it” at, so now VW are prioritizing those who have more alternatives and less patience (both geo and model wise) and may run off, and this way us “devoted disciples” come last, since we are the smallest flight risk.

I also think that’s why Toyota is targeting the US with the Corolla GR (80% US)