Golf mk8 R order thread - post your order details!

3 hours ago, McDoogle said:

I think the main issue is I've never experienced high quality tires so don't know what I'm missing. By all means the Bridgestones I have on my gti do the job but there is a distinct lack of grip at higher speeds and I know with the elsd it has it can handle a lot better. I might ask the dealership to swap the tires it comes with, with some pilot sports (depending on how much they'd charge and assuming it doesn't come with them anyway)

Bridgestones are colloquially nicknamed Tombstones..

Trust me, you'll fall in love with driving again once you try to proper tyres.

I think you're far better off purchasing your tyres after receiving the car. The Dealership is only gonna charge you a steep markup.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here she is! What a beast! She come with Hankooks (no PP) literally in love! 

Collected earlier on this afternoon.   Top drawer service from VW Stockport I have to say! There were a few people actually waiting for it to be driven out and a couple came over to tell me

😉

Posted Images

4 hours ago, McDoogle said:

I think the main issue is I've never experienced high quality tires so don't know what I'm missing. By all means the Bridgestones I have on my gti do the job but there is a distinct lack of grip at higher speeds and I know with the elsd it has it can handle a lot better. I might ask the dealership to swap the tires it comes with, with some pilot sports (depending on how much they'd charge and assuming it doesn't come with them anyway)

Wait until you get the car before deciding what to do.  You never know you might get lucky and get Goodyear F1 SS, and if so, they are very good tyres so really would not need swapping out.  I’m finding them a superb tyre and that’s after a couple sets of PS4S on my 7R.   I doubt it will come with the Michelin PS4S as that’s not one of the three tyres listed for factory fit on the 8R.  

Bridgestones by comparison to the likes of performance Michelin, Goodyear and Conti tyres, are to be polite, very very average, and unfortunately they take forever to wear down and die. 

You will not regret spending out on quality rubber befitting of a car like the R. 

On 21/04/2022 at 21:53, Battleshipgray said:

Got a call from the dealer this afternoon - car has arrived!

I'm away with work most of next week (great timing on my part 😄) but it's here. Picking it up next Friday 🤞

Called past the dealer this afternoon in case my R was parked up outside the showroom. Still to be prepped but I got a good look around the outside. I'm very impressed. Can't wait until Friday! 😍

Bridgstones haven't been great historically, but the new Potenza Sport gets good reviews, as a 'sporty' tyre anyway. 

From the 2022 Tyrereviews UHP test (it came 3rd) 

The Bridgestone Potenza Sport continues to be an exciting tyre to drive, with sporty handling and excellent dynamic properties in the dry and wet. This does compromise the aquaplaning ability, comfort levels and rolling resistance of the tyre, and as the only tyre with the starting tread depth below 7mm, this is a tyre for the enthusiast that prioritises driving enjoyment. 

2 hours ago, Martin2 said:

Bridgstones haven't been great historically, but the new Potenza Sport gets good reviews, as a 'sporty' tyre anyway. 

From the 2022 Tyrereviews UHP test (it came 3rd) 

The Bridgestone Potenza Sport continues to be an exciting tyre to drive, with sporty handling and excellent dynamic properties in the dry and wet. This does compromise the aquaplaning ability, comfort levels and rolling resistance of the tyre, and as the only tyre with the starting tread depth below 7mm, this is a tyre for the enthusiast that prioritises driving enjoyment. 

Yes I think the newer Bridgestone Potenza Sport seems a lot better that Bridgestone's before it (especially the god awful run flats that BMW insisted on installing on most of their cars).

New 8R's are coming through with 3 tyres and one of them is the Bridgestone S005. I think most people that have this tyre have been pleasantly surprised and said its not that bad.

3 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

Yes I think the newer Bridgestone Potenza Sport seems a lot better that Bridgestone's before it (especially the god awful run flats that BMW insisted on installing on most of their cars).

New 8R's are coming through with 3 tyres and one of them is the Bridgestone S005. I think most people that have this tyre have been pleasantly surprised and said its not that bad.

S005 supposed to be a notable improvement on the S001s.  Always worth waiting to see what tyres you get before deciding on change.  

Quite exciting times tyre wise with these new generations from all the main manufactures!  Choices, choices!  😄

HI All,

Just a quick one for you guys.

Does anyone know how I can track the status of the car if I have the VIN number? Last update I had was that it was at the port, ready to sail. That update was from last Thursday, but wasn't using recent information. Just trying to get an idea as to when it could be in the UK/ delivered.

I cant go to the dealer, as it's a lease vehicle and communicating with the lease company is very long winded.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Seb said:

HI All,

Does anyone know how I can track the status of the car if I have the VIN number? Last update I had was that it was at the port, ready to sail. That update was from last Thursday, but wasn't using recent information. Just trying to get an idea as to when it could be in the UK/ delivered.

I cant go to the dealer, as it's a lease vehicle and communicating with the lease company is very long winded.

Thanks!

You can try punching the vin into myvw but I doubt that would give you any tracking information. If the lease company is the ones doing pdi and registering the car, they'd be the only ones able to track it unfortunately 

2 hours ago, Simon75 said:

Oh well order was week 23, now moved to week 38 unconfirmed. Order was placed end of October ‘21. So will be over a year now before it arrives. 

Looks like we'll possibly share a build week. I've also got week 38 and ordered October(14th for me)

58 minutes ago, Seb said:

HI All,

Thanks!

My car took 20 days from leaving the factory to a uk port. And then another 10 days from then until collection, which is this Saturday!

Hope that gives you some incite to the transport times. 😅 

1 hour ago, McDoogle said:

Looks like we'll possibly share a build week. I've also got week 38 and ordered October(14th for me)

I hope so, but think this will push out to ‘23. Too much time between now and wk 38 & the lack of information from the dealer gives me not a lot of hope. 

16 minutes ago, Simon75 said:

I hope so, but think this will push out to ‘23. Too much time between now and wk 38 & the lack of information from the dealer gives me not a lot of hope. 

Stay positive, I ordered mine (GTD) 4.5 months before you guys and I don't have a build date in sight 🤔

It'd definitely a build week lottery at the moment....