Golf mk8 R order thread - post your order details!

Just had mine delayed another 8 weeks from March 2020 so looking at October . Also I maybe paranoid but if as someone said they are now building a 1000 golfs a week, why is there is there a shortage of Chips for our R builds. Sounds like they are putting volume of sales before us. Or am I wrong?  🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here she is! What a beast! She come with Hankooks (no PP) literally in love! 

Collected earlier on this afternoon.   Top drawer service from VW Stockport I have to say! There were a few people actually waiting for it to be driven out and a couple came over to tell me

😉

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, chillly said:

Just had mine delayed another 8 weeks from March 2020 so looking at October . Also I maybe paranoid but if as someone said they are now building a 1000 golfs a week, why is there is there a shortage of Chips for our R builds. Sounds like they are putting volume of sales before us. Or am I wrong?  🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

They've been doing that for a long time. They'll will produce the cars that are most profitable to sell. It's good logic I suppose, from a purely market-profil perspective.

It’s not only that. They will prioritise the cars that they will lose more sales over (more common ones) over those that they nearly won’t (specialty ones, like R). Again, makes business sense, but still annoying.

34 minutes ago, AHG said:

It’s not only that. They will prioritise the cars that they will lose more sales over (more common ones) over those that they nearly won’t (specialty ones, like R). Again, makes business sense, but still annoying.

But is that fair? Or morally correct considering people have been waiting  for over a year?

1 minute ago, NRW said:

Morally Correct?
This is VW………..(?Dieselgate still within memory)😂

You have a point. Shameful thou that we all don’t have details to contact someone in VW to express our views. 

2 hours ago, chillly said:

I really feel for you as I ordered in March 2021 and I collected it 9 weeks to the day. I've driven it for a year and 9.2K miles and just sold it yesterday and you still don't have yours! Hope you get some better news soon.

12 minutes ago, mactrack said:

I really feel for you as I ordered in March 2021 and I collected it 9 weeks to the day. I've driven it for a year and 9.2K miles and just sold it yesterday and you still don't have yours! Hope you get some better news soon.

Good for you mate. I assume you had a standard R? You probably sold it for same if not more that you paid?

2 hours ago, AHG said:

Think you’re dead right with sales of more common cars

R buyers will have reviewed the various options and decided that is the model they want, whereas people looking for a family hatchback might fancy a Golf but would but something order else that can be delivered from stock in a couple of months. Most R’s are spec’d with options but I would guess lower models are mainly bog standard 

30 minutes ago, Shug said:

R buyers will have reviewed the various options and decided that is the model they want, whereas people looking for a family hatchback might fancy a Golf but would but something order else that can be delivered from stock in a couple of months. Most R’s are spec’d with options but I would guess lower models are mainly bog standard 

Enthusiastic owners/buyers aren’t always the norm, agree @Shug  

Many will just tootle into a dealership and buy something from dealer stock. Near ish to what they fancied on the way there. So far removed from the way I do it😂

Ive got friends who have gone into town shopping on Saturday and returned home with a new car, they saw, liked and bought.  It’s more like a West Wing Plot for me😂😂

34 minutes ago, Shug said:

Even standard cars with certain specs  need chips. You couldn’t order any car with pan roof as an option a couple of months also. Now it’s Harmon Kardon your unable to spec. 
🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, chillly said:

Even standard cars with certain specs  need chips. You couldn’t order any car with pan roof as an option a couple of months also. Now it’s Harmon Kardon your unable to spec. 
🤷‍♂️

Yeah, get that, but R buyers will wait for their car as is clear on here.

Many people aren’t as selective and decide they want a new car and pop to the local showroom to see what’s available. Would guess a lot on here spend weeks looking at reviews, options etc, so would dream of (say) a focus instead, whereas the lower spec model buyer isn’t that fussed

13 minutes ago, Shug said:

Yeah, get that, but R buyers will wait for their car as is clear on here.

Many people aren’t as selective and decide they want a new car and pop to the local showroom to see what’s available. Would guess a lot on here spend weeks looking at reviews, options etc, so would dream of (say) a focus instead, whereas the lower spec model buyer isn’t that fussed

Totally understand. Just people are or seem to be pushed to the back of the que due to them using the chips for volume of cars as previously mentioned. Or is it not the case?

Simple example: Land Cruiser
Delivery of a Corolla is 4-16 weeks
Delivery of Land Cruiser is 48 months
Why ? Because those who want a land cruiser would wait as long as they need. They’ll buy a used one in between and lose no value over it.

In places where a product is percieved as premium or unique, scarcity only makes it more desirable (and more can be charged for it), so longer delivery times are not a problem. In a product that is perceived as commodity delivery times is a parameter like payment plan, MPG and other aspects you compare by. So there, scarcity = less sales.

Simple logic, really.
Some of you remember that back when iPhones were “a thing” there was a very limited amount in stores on launch day, and then they’d increase volumes, and people were pre-ordering them and storming the stores. Now it’s all commodity, you go in and buy one, and if they don’t have it you go buy somewhere or something else. So they don’t do scarcity.

But is that fair? Or morally correct considering people have been waiting  for over a year?

I know of zero big businesses that consider “fair” as a parameter. Even local vendors and service providers only practice it as it can quickly affect their rep and income.

Same as you’d expect a hospital to prioritize “flight risks” (or worse) prior to elective procedures, when it runs at capacity. Nothing immoral, just business as they are.

Big corporations will consider churn-rate and loss of sales, so fairness to businesses (all of them, VW isn’t special in that way) is something that exists in the realm of public perception and factor through its effect on revenue (otherwise 80% of Pharma companies wouldn’t exist).

If you were a share holder, you’d want them to do so.
This is not illegal. No one is lying or deceiving.
It’s just not fun for us, as we are the ones waiting.
(Personally I think it’s economic. As every year you spend with an older car, you lose less in value + they can solve some gremlins :-)
2 hours ago, AHG said:

Simple example: Land Cruiser
Delivery of a Corolla is 4-16 weeks
Delivery of Land Cruiser is 48 months
Why ? Because those who want a land cruiser would wait as long as they need. They’ll buy a used one in between and lose no value over it.

In places where a product is percieved as premium or unique, scarcity only makes it more desirable (and more can be charged for it), so longer delivery times are not a problem. In a product that is perceived as commodity delivery times is a parameter like payment plan, MPG and other aspects you compare by. So there, scarcity = less sales.

Simple logic, really.
Some of you remember that back when iPhones were “a thing” there was a very limited amount in stores on launch day, and then they’d increase volumes, and people were pre-ordering them and storming the stores. Now it’s all commodity, you go in and buy one, and if they don’t have it you go buy somewhere or something else. So they don’t do scarcity.

I know of zero big businesses that consider “fair” as a parameter. Even local vendors and service providers only practice it as it can quickly affect their rep and income.

Same as you’d expect a hospital to prioritize “flight risks” (or worse) prior to elective procedures, when it runs at capacity. Nothing immoral, just business as they are.

Big corporations will consider churn-rate and loss of sales, so fairness to businesses (all of them, VW isn’t special in that way) is something that exists in the realm of public perception and factor through its effect on revenue (otherwise 80% of Pharma companies wouldn’t exist).

If you were a share holder, you’d want them to do so.
This is not illegal. No one is lying or deceiving.
It’s just not fun for us, as we are the ones waiting.
(Personally I think it’s economic. As every year you spend with an older car, you lose less in value + they can solve some gremlins 🙂

I think that says it all. But for the minority who lead the way from there flag ship then it’s another story. I like you have said have adopted the same mindset. But it doesn’t make it right. Unless the few who lead the way in flagship vehicles stand up there is no hope for the masses. 
still not right what they are doing