Golf mk8 R order thread - post your order details!

@MK8TOM Your R looks just superb in the pics.  😎😎😎 

Thanks for taking the time to post up your early thoughts Tom.  And some good honest and objective early feedback. Both the positives and the negatives make a lot of sense.  

A great initial write up. 👍   

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Collected earlier on this afternoon.   Top drawer service from VW Stockport I have to say! There were a few people actually waiting for it to be driven out and a couple came over to tell me

Boys, Girls, Gentlemen and Gentlewomen !!   She’s officially here!   Turns out both seller and I got confused with the wheel color😂   I guess “nero, superfice lucida” (bl

Posted Images

Nice review! I still think the shape of the front is strong and I ordered in black too so it’s good to finally see more pics of it.

my concern was why they didn’t choose provide a contrasting option of some sort around that front intake just to help lift and add some distinguishing details but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker. 

maybe some AM mods in the coming months to help do something there.

looks sweet though man. Just gutted I’ve been nudged down to an unconfirmed wk26 for build. Hoping it comes forward!!

Hey y'all, managed to put about 250km on the car between Friday and today, here are my initial thoughts:

This is my first R, first Golf, first VW

Scores:
IRL Looks: 8.5/10 - Handling: 9/10 - Sound: 9/10 - Acceleration: 8.5/10 -  Brakes - 9/10 - Quality/Feel: 8.5/10 - As a whole, daily hot hatch: 10/10

What I really like: The rear looks so so so good! Especially with the Spoiler and Akra, the car is a real head turner and all the younglings cant stop staring at it hahaha. It's incredibly user friendly, confidence inspiring and easy to drive. It immediately feels very tight, and extremely competent. The overall looks and feel is miles ahead compared to a MK7. I cant speak on the driving dynamics of the 7. But in terms of looks and perceived quality, this thing is on a whole other planet. You need to see one in the flesh to appreciate the whole package. The interior is bomb, the blue leather is so unique on a hot hatch and the ambient lights, screens, and steering wheel make the car feel super current. The seats are also great! You immediately notice how tight and hugging they are. 
The sound is impressive for a 2021 PPF car, doesn't pop as much as a MK7 but the car is new and after 250km the sound is noticeably fuller.
In Nurburgring mode the pops are significantly louder, and more common.  
Comfort mode is really surprising, it feels like a standard golf, I was amazed by such a big change in character. 
Driving wise, once you start pushing a bit the 8R is incredible, It's stiff, very responsive, and very capable. You can really feel the torque vectoring working one all 4 wheels and the confidence it gives you, even on winter tires, is really something. 
It could use a little tune tho, just to get that extra punch. (but that's just me)

What I don't like as much: The front is not this car's best angle... It looks good in black but it's much better in blue or white. The black really hides any design element from the front, but really brings out the back. What I really don't like tho, is 'sport' mode, it's not sporty enough. The steering weight and suspension is perfect but the exhaust is closed, and the car just feels slow.. I don't know how else to put it.. The car is really fast in Race mode but the fuel consumption is drastic if you always drive it like that. I immediately resorted to Individual, setting Suspension/Steering to Sport, and Engine/Sound to Race and then I switch the gearbox from S to normal.
On the interior, the centre console that houses the gear knob is real cheap plastic, the matt, oily, scratchy type. Its a shame because everything else is 10/10 and I don't understand why they wouldn't use the same "carbon look" material from the dash.  

Other nitpickings:
- Lane-Keep Assist turns back on at every start-up 
- The seat doesn't go as far down as I would want (I'm 188cm, 6,2 in)
- I'm not a big fan of the projected R logo from the mirrors
- The climate control sliders (those under the centre screen) on DO NOT illuminate at night.. forcing you to adjust temp through the screen. It's just a small thing that doesn't make a lot of sense. You also end up resting you hand on them a lot while using the screen and all sort of menus start popping up, it's a bit of a mess. It's gonna take some getting used to. 

Overall, the 8R is THE pocket rocket! I think it's a much much much better package compared to it's competiton. You can see the new R-brand direction VW is taking. 
It's a car that doesn't take itself too seriously, but still does everything perfectly, I really love it. 
Sorry for the long 'review'
IMG_4178.thumb.jpg.0029b3b027cffd3757a6ea9c3b8dd623.jpg
IMG_4181.thumb.jpg.d3c13e0d31d073444d446e0061c5f755.jpg
IMG_9885.thumb.jpg.e5eacdbe3ea68e873c03bd9d98f14de2.jpg
IMG_9877.thumb.jpg.838ae0bd4288c39b9c7e22b1c7c198b5.jpg
3048D303-B02F-41E0-AD5D-2953FD93B2DA.thumb.jpg.0dfc97b77b2e4d6871a15df762f8cbf3.jpg
IMG_9870.thumb.jpg.ea7c5a55d0c4b9b7a3627d7b321adbb8.jpg
IMG_9868.thumb.jpg.f6da68b79674f7e47beb2df9732421b8.jpg

Best review so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
41 minutes ago, MK8TOM said:

I'm guessing that it's the same with the automatic start/stop function ... that's one of the things that annoys me the most about my Golf 7.

I hope the seats won't cause any trouble for me. I'm 194cm 😬

21 minutes ago, Darlo said:

Thanks very much @MK8TOM

Only thing that is concerning me is the seat height. I like mine nice and low being same height as you. I think the climate buttons will be something I will get use to. 

It’s nothing to be too concerned about at our height, you’ll lfind a good position! I just hoped it went a tadd bit lower for my optimal position

15 hours ago, MK8TOM said:

Hey y'all, managed to put about 250km on the car between Friday and today, here are my initial thoughts:

This is my first R, first Golf, first VW

Scores:
IRL Looks: 8.5/10 - Handling: 9/10 - Sound: 9/10 - Acceleration: 8.5/10 -  Brakes - 9/10 - Quality/Feel: 8.5/10 - As a whole, daily hot hatch: 10/10

What I really like: The rear looks so so so good! Especially with the Spoiler and Akra, the car is a real head turner and all the younglings cant stop staring at it hahaha. It's incredibly user friendly, confidence inspiring and easy to drive. It immediately feels very tight, and extremely competent. The overall looks and feel is miles ahead compared to a MK7. I cant speak on the driving dynamics of the 7. But in terms of looks and perceived quality, this thing is on a whole other planet. You need to see one in the flesh to appreciate the whole package. The interior is bomb, the blue leather is so unique on a hot hatch and the ambient lights, screens, and steering wheel make the car feel super current. The seats are also great! You immediately notice how tight and hugging they are. 

The sound is impressive for a 2021 PPF car, doesn't pop as much as a MK7 but the car is new and after 250km the sound is noticeably fuller.

In Nurburgring mode the pops are significantly louder, and more common.  

Comfort mode is really surprising, it feels like a standard golf, I was amazed by such a big change in character. 

Driving wise, once you start pushing a bit the 8R is incredible, It's stiff, very responsive, and very capable. You can really feel the torque vectoring working one all 4 wheels and the confidence it gives you, even on winter tires, is really something. 

It could use a little tune tho, just to get that extra punch. (but that's just me)

What I don't like as much: The front is not this car's best angle... It looks good in black but it's much better in blue or white. The black really hides any design element from the front, but really brings out the back. What I really don't like tho, is 'sport' mode, it's not sporty enough. The steering weight and suspension is perfect but the exhaust is closed, and the car just feels slow.. I don't know how else to put it.. The car is really fast in Race mode but the fuel consumption is drastic if you always drive it like that. I immediately resorted to Individual, setting Suspension/Steering to Sport, and Engine/Sound to Race and then I switch the gearbox from S to normal.

On the interior, the centre console that houses the gear knob is real cheap plastic, the matt, oily, scratchy type. Its a shame because everything else is 10/10 and I don't understand why they wouldn't use the same "carbon look" material from the dash.  

Other nitpickings:

- I'm not a big fan of the projected R logo from the mirrors

- The climate control sliders (those under the centre screen) on DO NOT illuminate at night.. forcing you to adjust temp through the screen. It's just a small thing that doesn't make a lot of sense. You also end up resting you hand on them a lot while using the screen and all sort of menus start popping up, it's a bit of a mess. It's gonna take some getting used to. 

Overall, the 8R is THE pocket rocket! I think it's a much much much better package compared to it's competiton. You can see the new R-brand direction VW is taking. 

It's a car that doesn't take itself too seriously, but still does everything perfectly, I really love it. 

Sorry for the long 'review' 😂

IMG_4178.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9877.jpg

3048D303-B02F-41E0-AD5D-2953FD93B2DA.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg

IMG_9868.jpg

Thanks for your honest review Tom...:afro:...Loved reading it...Very informative, interesting and entertaining...and thanks for the awesome pics too....Awesome first hand review of the Mk 8 R...Brilliant stuff...:wink:...Really does look good in black....except the front that is...:lol: