Rdubz

Golf 8 R logo

3 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Well it looks the part!  

What dilution have you used it at?  

I’ve always found it effective not just on wheels but also on tailpipes too at a ratio of around 1:8 for light mainly cleaning whilst not prematurely stripping sealant. Obviously a stronger mix has more cleaning power but degrade the protection quicker.   I tend to alternate between Bilberry and Wo-Wo Wheel Cleaner which I also find effective ( the latter comes pre diluted).

I didn’t dilute it just sprayed it on to see how it performed. At full strength it wasn’t great compared to autoglym. 
I don’t worry about wheel coatings as the wheels get a blast of autoglym aqua wax after a wash just like the rest of the car.

I try to keep the process simple and affordable. I believe a dirty car will just be another dirty car no matter how much time and money is spent getting it clean. 

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Well the possible upside to minimal and primarily touchless washing is the absence of swirls and marring, so look at it that way!  Unless you’ve been brushing up against the paintwork 😱  which I’m sure you haven’t and doesn’t bear thinking about.   Sounds like it’s a very forgiving colour.  It is a lovely colour clean too!  

That’s interesting about the tailgate staying cleaner possibly down to the bigger sports spolier, I hope that’s transpires to be the case with the 8R PP spolier.  How about the titanium exhaust tips Hertsman?  How do they fare with carbon?  

A good shed clean is cathartic and gets you into the right mindset for progressing into the actual car.  I tidied my shed up over Christmas but so far I have been reluctant (mind and body) to brave the cold and attend to the car.  But it needs it!  This is its current state of it in my driveway.  :embarrassed:

AA74-C8-FD-041-B-4920-94-FE-3956-C55-E1-

D32896-BA-BA83-4-D0-C-80-D6-31-CCA9-E1-A

Good question, the akrapovic tips are an absolute joy, aside from how great they look and sound you get some of your money back in not having to purchase metal polish and time back in elbow grease.

Pretty Much a bucket of hot soapy water and they are clean, and maybe on a forensic clean in spring. some metal polish to remove some carbon film, but thats all it will be, 

My R tips on its return, despite some valiant effort, had some ingrained coke and pitting and they used to get coked (and lose some of their eye appeal) pretty quickly after cleans. 

The cost of the akrapovic does bite but once you have them, you would not want to part with them, even as walk up to the car and view them, you get a sense of they the added purpose they give to the car. 

My daughter is home after uni, riding out this unsettled time, saving ££ and has brought her boyfriend who she shared a flat with and we have all their stuff shoved in different areas of the house, so that major cleanse did in early lock down (if not serving any functional purpose you are gone which humans and cats were exempt from) has been halted, but as soon as they move on in spring/summer, the second part of that operation will swing into action (when warmer as it definitely hibernate season now with box sets) 

- made nearly £1000 on E-Bay with selling on of some decent but long term unused items and as you said its all been very cleansing for the mind, there is very little left here now thats not decent and in use, with only a few sentimental items that missed my pretty ruthless cull - the litmus test is that have zero thoughts to anything either dumped, charity shop or sold on. 

3 hours ago, delboy01 said:

I didn’t dilute it just sprayed it on to see how it performed. At full strength it wasn’t great compared to autoglym. 
I don’t worry about wheel coatings as the wheels get a blast of autoglym aqua wax after a wash just like the rest of the car.

I try to keep the process simple and affordable. I believe a dirty car will just be another dirty car no matter how much time and money is spent getting it clean. 

Everyone had their prefers approach that works for them. 

I don’t use wheel coating, but do apply a decent sealant regularly to the wheels, which gets an additional top up with WetCoat when I use that.  Some sealants are more durable against brake dust, heat of brakes etc than others.  For me the worth of any protection is, in part, how it facilitates the return to very clean from dirty with minimal touch.    

1 hour ago, Hertsman said:

Good question, the akrapovic tips are an absolute joy, aside from how great they look and sound you get some of your money back in not having to purchase metal polish and time back in elbow grease.

Pretty Much a bucket of hot soapy water and they are clean, and maybe on a forensic clean in spring. some metal polish to remove some carbon film, but thats all it will be, 

My R tips on its return, despite some valiant effort, had some ingrained coke and pitting and they used to get coked (and lose some of their eye appeal) pretty quickly after cleans. 

The cost of the akrapovic does bite but once you have them, you would not want to part with them, even as walk up to the car and view them, you get a sense of they the added purpose they give to the car. 

My daughter is home after uni, riding out this unsettled time, saving ££ and has brought her boyfriend who she shared a flat with and we have all their stuff shoved in different areas of the house, so that major cleanse did in early lock down (if not serving any functional purpose you are gone which humans and cats were exempt from) has been halted, but as soon as they move on in spring/summer, the second part of that operation will swing into action (when warmer as it definitely hibernate season now with box sets) 

- made nearly £1000 on E-Bay with selling on of some decent but long term unused items and as you said its all been very cleansing for the mind, there is very little left here now thats not decent and in use, with only a few sentimental items that missed my pretty ruthless cull - the litmus test is that have zero thoughts to anything either dumped, charity shop or sold on. 

Thanks Hertsman, that’s great to know about the Akra both on ease of cleaning and it’s worth.  I’ve made peace with the cost of it, lol.  

A full house for you then.  I hope your daughter is coming through the difficulties of disrupted uni education and online learning, can’t be easy but at least saving some money.  Sounds like up to that point there’s was some major decluttering going on at your house and a good bit of cash from shifting unused stuff.   Roll on part 2!  

We have a similar approach in my house, in fact my 14 year old daughter is the mistress of flogging unwanted gear and pocketing the proceedings, conveniently choosing to ignore that fact that her parents paid for it all in the first place, lol.  But she’s inherited her dad’s entrepreneurial and shrewd business qualities so we can’t really knock it, plus she uses the sale income to fund her other desired purchases.  I think if any humans and cats stand still long enough we might find ourselves listed on gumtree!  😁  

Apologies for the thread digression!  

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Thanks Hertsman, that’s great to know about the Akra both on ease of cleaning and it’s worth.  I’ve made peace with the cost of it, lol.  

A full house for you then.  I hope your daughter is coming through the difficulties of disrupted uni education and online learning, can’t be easy but at least saving some money.  Sounds like up to that point there’s was some major decluttering going on at your house and a good bit of cash from shifting unused stuff.   Roll on part 2!  

We have a similar approach in my house, in fact my 14 year old daughter is the mistress of flogging unwanted gear and pocketing the proceedings, conveniently choosing to ignore that fact that her parents paid for it all in the first place, lol.  But she’s inherited her dad’s entrepreneurial and shrewd business qualities so we can’t really knock it, plus she uses the sale income to fund her other desired purchases.  I think if any humans and cats stand still long enough we might find ourselves listed on gumtree!  😁  

Apologies for the thread digression!  

Thread digression is ok, some of the oddments of conversations outside of the car talk is always good to read these days as an addition, as we all navigate our way through these weird times together, just think some go on the toxic pit thats twitter, so this is the much preferred social interaction. :) 

Daughter completed her third year in the first lock down, which given it was illustration and physical briefs went to digital was a challenge for her, which happy to say she met and graduated with a tantalising 68% so its the masters thats been deferred and she doing a mix of entrepreneurial online and living on the all inclusive living thats called mum and dads - my other daughter is in southern hemisphere so its been good to have the youngest around through all this. 

Hope the young ones get back to things they should be doing at their age more and more through this year, as a parent and being involved in grassroots you really understand the need for that to happen, but sounds like yours is making good use of the time, she might not need to go back to school, might be writing her first how to be a success book :) 

The cats in this house are the sacred beings, it would be us out before them aha. 

Just broke up some WFH with a walk into the local wilds, with a drive thru fetched Starbucks (picnic??) :) (have to drive! need sounds of the TCR to lift the mood) 

4 hours ago, delboy01 said:

Glad someone finds Bilberry wheel cleaner to their liking. I found it as useful as a bottle of ribena at wheel cleaning. 😐

Thats weird I use Bilberry and find it really effective even at a 10:1 dilution.

37 minutes ago, Hertsman said:

Thread digression is ok, some of the oddments of conversations outside of the car talk is always good to read these days as an addition, as we all navigate our way through these weird times together, just think some go on the toxic pit thats twitter, so this is the much preferred social interaction. :) 

Daughter completed her third year in the first lock down, which given it was illustration and physical briefs went to digital was a challenge for her, which happy to say she met and graduated with a tantalising 68% so its the masters thats been deferred and she doing a mix of entrepreneurial online and living on the all inclusive living thats called mum and dads - my other daughter is in southern hemisphere so its been good to have the youngest around through all this. 

Hope the young ones get back to things they should be doing at their age more and more through this year, as a parent and being involved in grassroots you really understand the need for that to happen, but sounds like yours is making good use of the time, she might not need to go back to school, might be writing her first how to be a success book :) 

The cats in this house are the sacred beings, it would be us out before them aha. 

Just broke up some WFH with a walk into the local wilds, with a drive thru fetched Starbucks (picnic??) :) (have to drive! need sounds of the TCR to lift the mood) 

I agree some general chat in amongst the topic discussion can be very welcome and puts some meat on the bones of forum members as we aren’t any of us just one dimensional  characters in an internet chat room.  And it’s especially important in these times of reduced real world in the flesh social interaction although that said, I’ve had enough actual verbal talk (via zoom meetings) with the general public this week to last me through to next week!   Writing on a forum is a welcome antidote to that.   

Good to hear your eldest has graduated her first degree, that’s one under her belt!  All inclusive living too, lol.  You’ll miss her when she’s gone again!  

My daughter is getting on fine with schooling, she’s a very motivated, very organised kid, and if anything the home education suits her character better than the school environment.  It’s the out of school stuff she’s desperately missing.  She does gymnastics four times a week and at weekends, and as well as the absence of the physical side of it (though she’s doing what she can at home) it’s the whole in-person club and social side and the camaraderie she’s missing.  But her and her mates have fallen into a good system of video get togethers of an evening, chatting, laughing and playing interactive games etc, so they’ve replicated the real thing as best they can.  She’s an only child so otherwise it’s boring parents for company, lol.  

That’s quite a funny coincidence as I punctuated my working day at lunch with a quick R drive to nearby Starbucks with said daughter (who is a Starbucks junkie!) followed by a further drive to the mobile food truck on the industrial estate where her Gymnastics club to get her a bacon french stick as a lunch treat!  Also gives the car battery a turn over!  

Cats are sacred beings full stop!  

22 hours ago, Booth11 said:

I agree some general chat in amongst the topic discussion can be very welcome and puts some meat on the bones of forum members as we aren’t any of us just one dimensional  characters in an internet chat room.  And it’s especially important in these times of reduced real world in the flesh social interaction although that said, I’ve had enough actual verbal talk (via zoom meetings) with the general public this week to last me through to next week!   Writing on a forum is a welcome antidote to that.   

Good to hear your eldest has graduated her first degree, that’s one under her belt!  All inclusive living too, lol.  You’ll miss her when she’s gone again!  

My daughter is getting on fine with schooling, she’s a very motivated, very organised kid, and if anything the home education suits her character better than the school environment.  It’s the out of school stuff she’s desperately missing.  She does gymnastics four times a week and at weekends, and as well as the absence of the physical side of it (though she’s doing what she can at home) it’s the whole in-person club and social side and the camaraderie she’s missing.  But her and her mates have fallen into a good system of video get togethers of an evening, chatting, laughing and playing interactive games etc, so they’ve replicated the real thing as best they can.  She’s an only child so otherwise it’s boring parents for company, lol.  

That’s quite a funny coincidence as I punctuated my working day at lunch with a quick R drive to nearby Starbucks with said daughter (who is a Starbucks junkie!) followed by a further drive to the mobile food truck on the industrial estate where her Gymnastics club to get her a bacon french stick as a lunch treat!  Also gives the car battery a turn over!  

Cats are sacred beings full stop!  

The out of school stuff is so important which have some bias as been grassroots coach with girls football, they get so much out of it: off the scale really in both physical and mental benefits - Had decided to have a break prior to COVID as work change and some other matters needed more of my time but as soon as its truly possible again intend to jump right back in as these kids will need these activities more than ever. 

Having 2 daughters know my place, which is to be bank of dad and constantly outvoted haha. 

Picked a good day to do the fetch coffee and walk thing yesterday as its bleak today and waterlogged today locally, and this is the day where have most conference calls, pretty much back to back, but have done a linear movement over the years away from customer facing to client facing to internal so do not envy you on the public engagement :) 

Ok, best let good folk get back to the car talk, and waiting on their newly ordered R (v exciting!)