Msportman

Merc C63s....too much power on a Country B road blast.

One of my clients recently bought a C63S.

Its a 2018 fully loaded car with the all important sports diff but steel brakes.

He’s an experienced pilot having many high powered RWD cars including his other current toy a 2019 911GT 3 RS.

Before lockdown he wanted to see how engaging his new C63 was and how much he could deploy 500bhp to the rear MPS4S tyres it is fitted.

I followed him on some local roads close to me the road conditions were dry but damp patches.

Unsurprisingly the C63 even is format is no real B road blast machine. Far to heavy, early braking to haul up its mass and surprisingly quite slow corner speed. 
Out of corners the traction was non -existent 🤔sideways back and forth yawing at the wheel trying to keep it on track. TBH I wasn’t even on it to keep pace and was easily able on the straights to keep it in check due to the incredible traction and stability of the bargain bucket R.

After our short blast we both agreed the R has to be the performance bargain of the last 6 years.

It made my mind up Re running a turbo charged V8 and the associated running costs.

I agree, the r is a performance bargain.

In pretty much all situations it would eat my previous car (manual e90 m3) for breakfast. 

There is a but though, in my opinion the r has literally no sense of occasion in comparison. 

The e90 was slower, at least until 80/90, the gearbox was hard work sometimes, it used twice the amount of fuel, triple the road tax cost but that really didnt/doesn't matter. 

From just the initial fire up of the engine it was special, cold start cycle making it sound like the exhaust had fallen off, revs dropping like a stone on a cold gear change.. brilliant.

Just cruising about it had presence and just sounded epic (it had a modded exhaust).

There's something about a v8, more than just the sound, that the r will never compete with regardless of if its faster or slower. 

One of my clients recently bought a C63S.
Its a 2018 fully loaded car with the all important sports diff but steel brakes.

He’s an experienced pilot having many high powered RWD cars including his other current toy a 2019 911GT 3 RS.

Before lockdown he wanted to see how engaging his new C63 was and how much he could deploy 500bhp to the rear MPS4S tyres it is fitted.
I followed him on some local roads close to me the road conditions were dry but damp patches.
Unsurprisingly the C63 even is format is no real B road blast machine. Far to heavy, early braking to haul up its mass and surprisingly quite slow corner speed. 
Out of corners the traction was non -existent sideways back and forth yawing at the wheel trying to keep it on track. TBH I wasn’t even on it to keep pace and was easily able on the straights to keep it in check due to the incredible traction and stability of the bargain bucket R.
After our short blast we both agreed the R has to be the performance bargain of the last 6 years.

It made my mind up Re running a turbo charged V8 and the associated running costs.

Had the same thing with some moron in a C63S coupe - he thought I was racing him. I just wanted to get past a truck before single carriageway started after a roundabout. Left him wrestling with his steering and actually saw him sideways in my mirror.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In pretty much all situations it would eat my previous car (manual e90 m3) for breakfast. 
There is a but though, in my opinion the r has literally no sense of occasion in comparison. 
The e90 was slower, at least until 80/90, the gearbox was hard work sometimes, it used twice the amount of fuel, triple the road tax cost but that really didnt/doesn't matter. 
From just the initial fire up of the engine it was special, cold start cycle making it sound like the exhaust had fallen off, revs dropping like a stone on a cold gear change.. brilliant.
Just cruising about it had presence and just sounded epic (it had a modded exhaust).
There's something about a v8, more than just the sound, that the r will never compete with regardless of if its faster or slower. 

Depends if a sense of occasion means going through a hedge backwards, sideways, upside down.......yes the V8 sounds special but the C63S just does nothing for me. Just a waste of power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The R does everything pretty much Drama free.  Gets you across your favourite roads quickly. No fuss, no drama, does the job asked.
Others seek and yearn for the drama, the sounds, squeals, screeches and yowls whilst you are at Max. Chat mode.  Sometimes you don’t get between the two points much, if any quicker. But it feels quicker.

Re C63 and M3 - I’m sure I’ve heard from Andy, @dopper99 - that an R would often show Four Tips to either on many an occasion😂.    Doesn’t make you popular with your neighbours tho!

2 hours ago, Deep Pan said:

Its a shame they never gave the F30 M3/4 or M2 Comp a better sounding engine.

The M2 CS also has adaptive suspension...why oh why did the Comp never have that fitted? Another marketing ploy by BMW to justify the £70k asking price of the M2 CS...shame.

But now the forthcoming M3/M4 with X drive will have 4WD but again with current DPF filters the sense of occasion will be lacking I fear.

As for the E90 M3 great car and now sensible money even the Comp but they will be only be going up now nice low mile E46 M3’s have been bought up.

With regards to the R they are typical of all the current 4 pot turbo cars....at least they get some bark with a decent exhaust if needed ( APR) but they do punch well above their weight when needed are reasonable to run and can do it all.

At least the E90 M3 had a better lump than Audi’s RS4 that has a bad habit of power loss even when new!

As for the all of the German performance manufacturers it’s been a power race for far too long.....300-350bhp is more than enough for road use.

11 minutes ago, NRW said:

The R does everything pretty much Drama free.  Gets you across your favourite roads quickly. No fuss, no drama, does the job asked.
Others seek and yearn for the drama, the sounds, squeals, screeches and yowls whilst you are at Max. Chat mode.  Sometimes you don’t get between the two points much, if any quicker. But it feels quicker.

Re C63 and M3 - I’m sure I’ve heard from Andy, @dopper99 - that an R would often show Four Tips to either on many an occasion😂.    Doesn’t make you popular with your neighbours tho!

Yes indeed Neil, this time of the year the R will easy cover ground quicker than both M3 and C63 due to 4WD vs RWD and the fact the R is a more agile car around tight twisties.

My last car was a C63s which I had for 8 months. Great car for the engine noise from the glorious 4.0 V8, great drama, pops and bangs (proper loud in Sport+).....

But at the end of the day its no sports car and more of a GT tourer. I'm sure I read its over 1800kg so its never going around B roads as quick as an R.

The "fun" part of the drive came from the engine for sure and straight line performance (in the dry and above 10 Deg C!) but not the handling.

Whereas the R is fast enough and has handling to put a smile on your face. I've never looked back TBH.

image.png.a59c80d97d96518211c601b670de5a75.png

image.png.81e2cf1956ec84586ce5b3dda4f79c56.png

19 minutes ago, Msportman said:

But now the forthcoming M3/M4 with X drive will have 4WD but again with current DPF filters the sense of occasion will be lacking I fear.

The problem with the new M3/M4 (beside the £70K price tag) is the damn thing is too big and weighs too much. 1805kg according to BMWs website, and that's for the RWD car. So you could probably add on another 100kg for the xdrive version. Its getting virtually as heavy as an M5!

I'm a big BMW fan (well, was), but the way their 3 series size cars have increased in size and weight gas put me off them these days. The M340i is 1810kg and although I dont doubt it'll be quick in a straight line and should handle/grip well enough through the twisties due to xdrive, it'll never feel as agile as the R.

The 6 pots are great, but you can feel them nose heavy compared to a 4 pot.

2 minutes ago, Count Drunkula said:

Tell c63 owners to enjoy it while they can , next gen C63 is going to be a 4pot turbo with hybrid assistance 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/next-mercedes-amg-c63-swap-v8-hybrid-four-pot

Sad times 

Interesting but sad 

What info is there on next RS3?

7 minutes ago, Msportman said:

Interesting but sad 

Looks like it'll be Sept:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/rs3/108238/new-2021-audi-rs-3-get-400bhp

Although I guess it'll be silly money for one of them, and make the Golf R look cheap in comparison. Probably looking at £55K+ with one or two options.

1 hour ago, Msportman said:

Interesting but sad 

1 hour ago, dopper99 said:

Although I guess it'll be silly money for one of them, and make the Golf R look cheap in comparison. Probably looking at £55K+ with one or two options.

Not read anything set in stone but rumours suggest still using an updated version of the 2.5 DNWA lump with 400+bhp .

Probably get the same trick rear diff as the mk8 so it gets "drift mode" 

9 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Our of my budget then!

10 hours ago, Count Drunkula said:

Not read anything set in stone but rumours suggest still using an updated version of the 2.5 DNWA lump with 400+bhp .

Probably get the same trick rear diff as the mk8 so it gets "drift mode" 

Just quickly scanned the magazine article on the new RS3.....just a few subtle changes.....software I wonder or uprated turbo ? Who knows yet but it’s only a 20bhp hike.

Not sure on this new diff and how good it will make the car for track. Maybe the last proper RS3 ?

May fit in nicely if end of the year if my budget limit allows.....I’ve bought into the wife’s plan on new kitchen extension etc etc!

Still the old 7R is still a good place to be.