JM97

Launch Control Problems

Still new to all of this so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I've looked around the forum and can't find the same issue elsewhere so I'm hoping I can get some advice. I bought a 2017 MK7 R DSG last September, and besides a flat tyre it's been faultless, I launched it a few times after buying it but once it was out of my system I didn't want to wear the car down too much so I didn't launch it for two months or so till I took my dad out for a spin, when I switched the ESC off it popped up saying 'front lane assist' or something along those lines was unavailable, if it always does this I never noticed it before, but when I pressed the brake and tried to get the revs up instead of holding at the 3-4k whatever it usually does, it barely revved past idol, it just wouldn't launch, tried it again a few days later different conditions and same again. Car's throwing up no warnings, even on diagnostics and performs perfectly otherwise. Hoping it's an easy fix or I'm just doing something wrong, don't plan on launching it very often but I'd prefer that it still could.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers

You are not doing something properly.
Front assist warning is quite ok.
Not sure if it is same on Golf, but you need to keep ESP button pressed few seconds, so it disables TCS first and puts ESP to Sport.
If it is DSG, put it in Sport or Manual.
Hard press on brake and you know rest of that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, JM97 said:

Still new to all of this so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I've looked around the forum and can't find the same issue elsewhere so I'm hoping I can get some advice. I bought a 2017 MK7 R DSG last September, and besides a flat tyre it's been faultless, I launched it a few times after buying it but once it was out of my system I didn't want to wear the car down too much so I didn't launch it for two months or so till I took my dad out for a spin, when I switched the ESC off it popped up saying 'front lane assist' or something along those lines was unavailable, if it always does this I never noticed it before, but when I pressed the brake and tried to get the revs up instead of holding at the 3-4k whatever it usually does, it barely revved past idol, it just wouldn't launch, tried it again a few days later different conditions and same again. Car's throwing up no warnings, even on diagnostics and performs perfectly otherwise. Hoping it's an easy fix or I'm just doing something wrong, don't plan on launching it very often but I'd prefer that it still could.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers

Sounds to me like it wont rev past idol because your foot is on the brake and the car is actually trying to pull away because it isnt properly setup for a launch.

Put the car in race mode, hold the ESP for 3 second, left foot hard on the brake, right foot on the accelerator, if the revs dont increase and the car feels like its squatting down something is wrong. 

Also you need to make sure the car is hot before you launch, particularly the gearbox oil/fluid.

If it still doesn't work my first though would be the battery if its throwing up random alarms/warnings when pressing buttons?! I am sure its a setup issue though.

Good luck

I had this, turned out I wasn't pushing the brake pedal hard enough. You will see the message on the dash saying launch program active or something? I really had to push it hard with my left foot, not had a problem since! 

My guess is the ESP is not fully off. So what the car thinks you're trying to do is an old school launch - :D 

1. Car in Race or DSG in S also works for me regardless of Drive Mode.

2. ESP fully off - ~3 second hold.

3. Press hard on the brake - e.g. at least 50% - and make sure the throttle is floored. You'll feel a click as you press the throttle all the way down, that's what initiates kick-down when you're on the move but I found it's needed to give a proper launch.

Mine is also a 2017 R DSG - pre facelift.

13 minutes ago, Penguin said:

8 months in to R ownership.  Stage 1 remap and TCU tune and I still haven't launched it 😊

Overdue...

It’s stuff of novelty factor.  I launched mine a handful of time early in ownership (mainly to make my kid laugh) but haven’t had the slightest inclination to since.  😄

Just now, Booth11 said:

It’s stuff of novelty factor.  I launched mine a handful of time early in ownership (mainly to make my kid laugh) but haven’t had the slightest inclination to since.  😄

Same here Bex, launched it twice on a road that runs next to Aberdeen airport and nearly put the car on the runway, hence I've never did it again since!

6 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

i've launched mine a couple of times ........... only because I bought a Dragy and was curious what times it would do. 😎

Well....?  C’mon.  Share please.😀