Sign in to follow this  
Wrex

Discover media pro

Just now, Wrex said:

Thanks 👍🏻 
wondering if it was worth adding it 

No problem.  It's difficult to work out the differences, the Pro Nav has voice and gesture control and I assume it's a connected system so you can download maps directly to it, but then it says that you need to connect your phone to get live traffic etc.

I would use Waze/Google Maps with the standard navigation and not bother with the upgrade.

25 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Think ill stick with the standard system. I use Apple CarPlay now with google maps, I don’t think it’s worth the £1600 extra 

The other main difference is that supposedly you only get dual map display with pro nav (as well as gesture control and ‘natural’ voice control).  That means that the maps display in the central DIS as well as on the infotainment screen.  If that is the case, it’s a bit weird as you currently get that with a 7.5 but seems not in the mk8 unless you spec pro nav.  Either way I don’t see that pro nav is worth £1600 so I’ve passed on it myself. 

11 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

The other main difference is that supposedly you only get dual map display with pro nav (as well as gesture control and ‘natural’ voice control).  That means that the maps display in the central DIS as well as on the infotainment screen.  If that is the case, it’s a bit weird as you currently get that with a 7.5 but seems not in the mk8 unless you spec pro nav.  Either way I don’t see that pro nav is worth £1600 so I’ve passed on it myself. 

Yes, there's dual display as well, forgot about that.   I assume it's the same as on the 7.5, so if you have the standard Nav you can display the map on either screen but the Pro Nav allows you to display the map on both screens at the same time.  I don't really see any benefit in that either, I've got 3 x screens in my car and the good thing is I can display 3 things at once, I've never duplicated the same display on 2 screens.

Doesn't really matter if you use Waze as CarPlay/Android Auto doesn't allow the map to be displayed on the instrument panel anyway.  Or the HUD, which is why I've never used CarPlay on the last couple of cars I've had as I like the junction display on the HUD, but I use it all the time on the Golf as the standard Nav is poor.

9 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

Yes, there'e dual display as well, forgot about that.   I assume it's the same as on the 7.5, so if you have the standard Nav you can display the map on either screen but the Pro Nav allows you to display the map on both screens at the same time.

Doesn't really matter if you use Waze as CarPlay/Android Auto doesn't allow the map to be displayed on the instrument panel anyway.  Or the HUD, which is why I've never used CarPlay on the last couple of cars I've had as I like the junction display on the HUD, but I use it all the time on the Golf as the standard Nav is poor.

Ah so on 7.5 it also only displays on both screens if you have pro nav too?  I’d thought the standard nav allowed that but am wrong there. Thanks for clarifying. So I guess the mk8 pro nav v standard nav is consistent with that.  

No it’s not something that bothers me at all. I currently have a mk7 with pro nav so use CarPlay all the time, I’ve not used the in-built nav for about 5 years and have never missed having DIS map display.  Gesture control is also something I can happily live my driving life without! 

I know on the 7.5 you can have the map in either display, but not both at the same time.

Not overly fussed about having it as I’m sure someone will be able to code it in future. 
Have no need for gesture control so that’s pointless for me