daz auto

Keeping the price under £40k ?

I didn't think I would have to consider the higher rate road tax for a while. Then VW released the new Mk8 Golf R!

I know that less than £1 a day extra to tax a car, is not worth worrying about. Though, it did get me thinking - if you wanted to keep the price under £40k what options would you pick and why?

I believe that the total price has to be less than £40,870. So you can only have up to £1600 of extras.

So for me it would be Lapiz £755 and DCC £785 = £1540. Total car price £40,810. Not sure I could live with a white car or standard suspension. I would miss the rear view camera, heated seats and HUD (there is one on my wife's BMW), but I can live without them.

Just hypothetically, keeping the total price under £40,870, what options would you choose? 

I never had DCC on my mk7 R and had no issues so would give it a pass.

I don’t mind white so gone for that on my lease (not had a white car before so probably just a change for me). 

Heated seats at £270 isn’t bad but should be included with the heated steering wheel we get as standard so chose that as my only option.

Would probably take it as it is and pocket the rest for a few beers at the pub we can’t currently go to 🤣

54 minutes ago, Jordi93 said:

Would probably take it as it is and pocket the rest for a few beers at the pub we can’t currently go to 🤣

lol, good option 👍

I've had white before. Nowt wrong with white. Just too many mucky tractors on my bumpy county roads. So my choices are due more to circumstance than preference. 

It's not just me thinking about this. Someone was asking this question for the Mk7.5 R - before the Mk8 price rise.

What’s included in a car’s list price?  | What Car?

"It doesn't include the first registration fee or the cost of first vehicle licence (VED)"

Why pay a tax if there is no real need to. I can think of other things I would rather spend £325 a year on. :unsure:

If paying the extra road tax bothers you then get a lease as it'll be included. Yes the cost of the extra tax will be factored into the lease cost, but it still could be cheaper overall vs a PCP with regards deposit and monthlies + road tax. (ie overall cost over the term).

Then you might be able to have the options you want and get it cheaper than a PCP with over-inflated road tax.

I decided against an option I wanted to keep the cost under £40k, but that was a single option, there are too many I'd want (need!) to add to a Mk8R to make keeping it under an option.   As it turned out, the dealer made an error and our sub £40k car is in the higher bracket, but they sent us a cheque for 3 years additional rate so all OK in the end.

13 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

I decided against an option I wanted to keep the cost under £40k, but that was a single option, there are too many I'd want (need!) to add to a Mk8R to make keeping it under an option.   As it turned out, the dealer made an error and our sub £40k car is in the higher bracket, but they sent us a cheque for 3 years additional rate so all OK in the end.

I think the Mk 8 R is already well equipped. A lot of options I would want are already there - DSG, IQ lights, Adaptive cruise. I would not want a car without those options and DCC. Heated seats, reversing camera, HUD etc. are a luxury. Even if they do add to the experience - the car will go fine without them.  

5 minutes ago, daz auto said:

I think the Mk 8 R is already well equipped. A lot of options I would want are already there - DSG, IQ lights, Adaptive cruise. I would not want a car without those options and DCC. Heated seats, reversing camera, HUD etc. are a luxury. Even if they do add to the experience - the car will go fine without them.  

Oh, it will be more than fine without them.  My issue is it's my wife's car that I use fairly regularly, so memory seats are a must and you can't add those without blowing the £40k.

1 hour ago, Martin2 said:

Oh, it will be more than fine without them.  My issue is it's my wife's car that I use fairly regularly, so memory seats are a must and you can't add those without blowing the £40k.

My wife refused to pay for memory seats in her BMW. She just prefers to complain every week when I drive her car. :rolleyes:

On the plus side - now we use the BMW at weekends, so she does not mess up my driving position in my Golf. :cool:

Such first world problems. :embarrassed:

I borrowed my mother’s bmw 320 for a few weeks when someone went into my Cupra and found the reversing camera created more of a distraction when parking than actually aiding me.

Mirrors do just fine with the standard motion sensors.

Surprised it isn’t standard though on a 40k car. 

I spent ages trying to get under £40k with different variations. As @dopper99 stated a lease incorporates the tax but some of the cost is passed to you. However my budget was strick on monthlies so I ended up with wheels and paint to stay under £40k (by £75!).

I was also debating white, wheels, winter Or blue, winter and HK. 

I will miss heated seats, but I have them on for about two mins when I do use them and it means the Mrs will borrow it less now it doesn’t have the heated seats 😂. Heated seats are a must with leather, not with cloth. The flip side is I now have a heated steering wheel which I have never had before.

I was worried I made the wrong choice as I have been in her A35 with the burmester all week and I do love my music but im

sure there will some sort of aftermarket upgrade upgrade available at some point. Which is a lot cheaper than changing colour of getting a setting of bigger wheels I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Darlo said:

I spent ages trying to get under £40k with different variations. As @dopper99 stated a lease incorporates the tax but some of the cost is passed to you. However my budget was strick on monthlies so I ended up with wheels and paint to stay under £40k (by £75!).

I was also debating white, wheels, winter Or blue, winter and HK. 

I will miss heated seats, but I have them on for about two mins when I do use them and it means the Mrs will borrow it less now it doesn’t have the heated seats 😂. Heated seats are a must with leather, not with cloth. The flip side is I now have a heated steering wheel which I have never had before.

I was worried I made the wrong choice as I have been in her A35 with the burmester all week and I do love my music but im

sure there will some sort of aftermarket upgrade upgrade available at some point. Which is a lot cheaper than changing colour of getting a setting of bigger wheels I suppose. 

According to the guy above, you can still go to £40,870.

Can you not get the winter pack added and still stay under the tax level? Would be worth giving the dealer a shout. 

13 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

According to the guy above, you can still go to £40,870.

Can you not get the winter pack added and still stay under the tax level? Would be worth giving the dealer a shout. 

100% not mate... trust me I tried. My monthly with wheels and paint was £339. Add winter pack it should have been £344. When he put it computer it came out at £363. He didn’t understand why so he rang the finance team.... it was the road tax that push it over the threshold. 

the pd11 value of my order is £39925

If VW increase the price of the r over the £40000 road tax threshold before it is delivered you have to pay the higher rate tax. I had decided on a spec below the threshold but when I heard about the long delivery times I haven’t placed the order yet. It would be great if the chancellor increased the threshold because it has been at that level for many years but it’s probably not a priority at the moment!

18 minutes ago, Scotty10 said:

If VW increase the price of the r over the £40000 road tax threshold before it is delivered you have to pay the higher rate tax. I had decided on a spec below the threshold but when I heard about the long delivery times I haven’t placed the order yet. It would be great if the chancellor increased the threshold because it has been at that level for many years but it’s probably not a priority at the moment!

I just wish some clever clogs at VW would sit and think about the pricing. They’d sell more cars with options by starting them at 35k and discounting less allowing more scope for optioned up orders which can still avoid higher tax brackets.