guy9159

Dealer refusing to replace bonnet insulation

Hi all,

First MOT due for my 67 reg 7.5R. I purchased it from a VW dealer around 6 months ago. It still has 7 days of original manufacturer's warranty remaining and also a 2 year approved used VW warranty running concurrently (since it was purchased).

I raised the issue of the shrunken bonnet insulation with the dealer and they said they "will not replace the bonnet insulation as it has been wet in the past" (huh?). As the MOT is due in 3 days they said they can remove the bonnet insulation and do the MOT, otherwise it would fail due to the loose bonnet insulation posing a "fire risk". I agreed to this and asked them to put the bonnet insulation back on afterwards. I then went back to the dealer to take pictures of the loose bonnet insulation (before start of MOT) and the car is undergoing its MOT now.

Clearly, the bonnet insulation couldn't have shrunk during the time I owned the car and it is still under manufacturer's warranty aswell as a 2 year approved used VW warranty. However, the dealer is refusing to replace the bonnet insulation.

Do I have to contact VW UK now? Ideally, I don't want to be paying for the replacement as it should have been replaced when I purchased the car but it was overlooked.

Here is what it looks like:

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 15.18.48.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 15.18.47.jpeg

had mine replaced under warranty, fair few have. I did though ave like 5 other issues at the time so maybe they just thought the ol whilst it's here we'll just do it. Speak to VW HQ though, i find them very good to deal with

Mine went the same place , it’s because of the heat from the turbo . Replace no problem but it’s gone again but out of warranty now . They should replace it mate loads have 

I had mine replaced while the car was under its three year warranty. Its since shrunk again and although I have an extended VW warranty they won't replace it as they are calling it 'trim' which isn't covered by their extended warranty. I tried to argue that it wasn't trim as it wasn't decorative and  its there for a purpose but the dealer was having non of it.

I asked VW customer services about it and all they said was if the dealer says its trim then its not covered.

No issues with and MOT for me with it in place though and as it will no doubt shrink again if I did get it replaced I've just left it as is.

^^ As above. Lots of people have had their bonnet insulation shrink and not because it got wet.  Mine shrunk and I can tell you mine has never got wet, I’ve never jet washed my engine bay nor has it got a soaking by any other means but it still shrunk.  It looks much more to me like heat shrink as fletch states.  See pics of it. 

658EA3E3-C36A-49E2-A7C5-AAFC0A2452D0.thumb.jpeg.bb24e8ae7c1d5c07cf80ea5c1f81b35c.jpeg

1BE09C34-B061-4D3C-94A1-1A21D98CB0D5.thumb.jpeg.3ce83ca1e16102722eabd72d5354bfd9.jpeg

It getting replaced under warranty seems to be luck of the draw like most things with VW dealers.  Some have had it replaced under warranty no question, others have had it refused.  

There are a few threads on it like below and lots of mentions of it in various posts in the ‘What warranty work have you had done thread 

It might be worth digging out some of the relevant posts and showing them to the dealership to try and convince them it’s a known issue and it has been covered by warranty in quite a few cases.  

22 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

^^ As above. Lots of people have had their bonnet insulation shrink and not because it got wet.  Mine shrunk and I can tell you mine has never got wet, I’ve never jet washed my engine bay nor has it got a soaking by any other means but it still shrunk.  It looks much more to me like heat shrink as fletch states.  See pics of it. 

658EA3E3-C36A-49E2-A7C5-AAFC0A2452D0.thumb.jpeg.bb24e8ae7c1d5c07cf80ea5c1f81b35c.jpeg

1BE09C34-B061-4D3C-94A1-1A21D98CB0D5.thumb.jpeg.3ce83ca1e16102722eabd72d5354bfd9.jpeg

It getting replaced under warranty seems to be luck of the draw like most things with VW dealers.  Some have had it replaced under warranty no question, others have had it refused.  

There are a few threads on it like below and lots of mentions of it in various posts in the ‘What warranty work have you had done thread 

It might be worth digging out some of the relevant posts and showing them to the dealership to try and convince them it’s a known issue and it has been covered by warranty in quite a few cases.  

I have emailed VW customer services explaining the situation to them. I'm slightly disappointed as I was told that the bonnet insulation would be fitted back onto the bonnet after the MOT & Brake fluid change. However, when I went to collect the car it was in the boot and I was told that they wouldn't fit it back onto the bonnet due to "fire hazard/risk". 

Also, is it common practice to disable the dashcam before entering the workshop?

The whole experience with this dealer/branch was quite patronizing and very much different from the VW dealer that I purchased the car from. This experience reminds me of the dealer where I viewed a MK7R at and they were behaving the same way so I didn't buy and thankfully that was the right choice as I'm happy with my 7.5R

Yeh, seems quite normal now for garages to want dash cam turned off, or they’ll do it. Something to do with recording private conversations or something like that, I think. I’m sure others will have more complete and accurate information!

18 minutes ago, guy9159 said:

I have emailed VW customer services explaining the situation to them. I'm slightly disappointed as I was told that the bonnet insulation would be fitted back onto the bonnet after the MOT & Brake fluid change. However, when I went to collect the car it was in the boot and I was told that they wouldn't fit it back onto the bonnet due to "fire hazard/risk". 

Also, is it common practice to disable the dashcam before entering the workshop?

The whole experience with this dealer/branch was quite patronizing and very much different from the VW dealer that I purchased the car from. This experience reminds me of the dealer where I viewed a MK7R at and they were behaving the same way so I didn't buy and thankfully that was the right choice as I'm happy with my 7.5R

So if it’s shrunk enough to present a fire risk and can’t be put back in place, then surely that’s good enough reason for replacement under warranty!   I think there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence on here to show that it’s a common issue and not from getting wet.  I hope you get some joy out of VW CS but they gave a tendency to support the dealership.  

My dealership insists on dashcam being unplugged, if I forget, they do it.  As above I think it’s a being filmed at work thing.  To be honest I don’t have a problem with it. 

1 hour ago, guy9159 said:

A lot of main dealers seem to have an issue with dash cams ... I wonder why ... perhaps because it may show the minimal amount of time that they actually work on the car. 🤔

The last time my car went into a man dealer I told them not to disconnect the dash cam as it had a loose connection, if they disconnected it it would likely break and they would be responsible for replacing it. I said if they didn't want anything on show they could put a piece of paper on the windscreen. 😀

3 hours ago, DustyBones said:

hmmmm just looked on fleabay and its not exactly pennies, especially considering what it is....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk7-Bonnet-Insulation-Sound-Proof-New-Genuine-5G0863831/254838081666?hash=item3b55888882:g:1-QAAOSwABdgBboI

This sort of thing can / will lose a repeat sale for the brand.   A 3 yr Manufacturers Warranty should cover this in the eyes of many (most) owners.  
For me, on a range topping car- VW Local Dealer and VW UK are just crazy to mess a customer about like this. 
Still happens tho 🙄

They spend millions in advertising attracting customers, but risk losing them for a £70 part + Fitting. 

7 hours ago, Booth11 said:

So if it’s shrunk enough to present a fire risk and can’t be put back in place, then surely that’s good enough reason for replacement under warranty!   I think there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence on here to show that it’s a common issue and not from getting wet.  I hope you get some joy out of VW CS but they gave a tendency to support the dealership.  

My dealership insists on dashcam being unplugged, if I forget, they do it.  As above I think it’s a being filmed at work thing.  To be honest I don’t have a problem with it. 

They said to me that it looks like it has become wet before (white/water marks and on under bonnet in pictures) and therefore they will not replace under warranty. I'm not quite sure what relation this has to the bonnet insulation shrinking - and even still, I have only had the car for 6-7months and its only been washed once which was 1 day before MOT (yes I know this is bad🤣). So how is their excuse of its become wet in the past valid for not replacing it?

This dealer also put an advisory on the MOT: "Slight damage around positive battery terminal" but I think the terminal is fine. After VW customer service get back to me, I think I will use a different VW dealer in my area for any further servicing or MOTs.