4 minutes ago, AHG said:

I actually find it quite bearable and even useful at times (when I have to blow my nose, for example ;-))

Here it is a law since 2018 to have lane assist and crash avoidance (camera or radar), either integrated or an aftermarket one that just beeps (I prefer the first).

It all started with a company called MobileEye that sold those as after market systems (and then as integrated, as the one’s in your VWs).

Also, it is easy to cancel (in my car it’s just a press on the stalk, no OK needed) but I rarely see it as a problem , just as long as I signal when I change lanes (which we all should).

For me, the really annoying one is start/stop. I almost tried to import a 8R from US as their manuals have no start/stop (ours do, since 2012).

Its slightly worrying that blowing your nose might result in your car actually leaving the lane you’re in!  😁  How hard for you blow it! (rhetorical).

I’m in agreement on Stop Start which also gets turned off every trip (it’s one my shortcut buttons).  I coded it off permanently on my mk7 and if the opportunity to do the same on the 8 arises I’ll take it.  

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread should be re-named first world problems  

😂  I’m with your friend on that!     Sounds a great way to spend the inheritance, lol.  I’m really glad my parents started spending their money on themselves in their later lives and they

I put my car into WBAC and the price they offered is such that if I sold it, the car would've cost me for full ownership the equivalent of £84.27 per month across the past 38.86 months @ 11,240 miles

Posted Images

Looks like the prices have started to fall now. WBAC’s recent valuation of my car is £1300 less than 4-5 weeks ago.

In recent weeks I have started thinking about selling my car; not due to its value being strong as it’s all relative and the next car may well be strong too. I’ve owned my car nearly 5 years now, plus, approaching the big Hawaii 5-0, is it time to get away from a car slowly being destroyed by its new young audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, slider09 said:

WBAC’s recent valuation of my car is £1300 less than 4-5 weeks ago.

You might do well to check out Motorway too.  Used and highly rated on here.  Their prices seem still to be very firm.  5 y.o is a natural time to change for many - but don’t rush in because of a milestone, a planned change of car is often best.

I’m continuing to monitor prices on my own  but wouldn’t change before 3 year old for a variety of reasons. The build times for new cars need to be included……

Its slightly worrying that blowing your nose might result in your car actually leaving the lane you’re in!    How hard for you blow it! (rhetorical).

I’m in agreement on Stop Start which also gets turned off every trip (it’s one my shortcut buttons).  I coded it off permanently on my mk7 and if the opportunity to do the same on the 8 arises I’ll take it.  

I really laughed out loud to this :-)

I meant that I can leave the steering wheel and use two hands to do it more comfortably, and not use my knee to keep the car in lane.
30 minutes ago, AHG said:

I really laughed out loud to this 🙂

I meant that I can leave the steering wheel and use two hands to do it more comfortably, and not use my knee to keep the car in lane.

It gets worse!   😁

You might do well to check out Motorway too.  Used and highly rated on here.  Their prices seem still to be very firm.  5 y.o is a natural time to change for many - but don’t rush in because of a milestone, a planned change of car is often best.
I’m continuing to monitor prices on my own  but wouldn’t change before 3 year old for a variety of reasons. The build times for new cars need to be included……

I won’t be buying a brand new car, we (as in the mrs) are still waiting for a delivery date for her Mini JCW; ordered in April.

I’ll be going more sensible for my next car, I’ve been looking at perhaps getting a VW Tiguan R-Line 4motion DSG (2017/18).

Cars are no longer my primary focus. Retiring as soon as possible has become my number one motivation goal over the last 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
31 minutes ago, slider09 said:

Retiring as soon as possible has become my number one motivation goal over the last 6 months.

A JCW available on your drive will be nice!  
I know what you mean about changing circumstances and priorities.  The lockdown etc has allowed some reflection. Not sure we need 2 cars in the longer term.  Usage has hugely changed, and I start to ask if we’ll need 300+ bhp to knock about locally, shopping, social/ domestic use.  Want vs need, haha, and have to buy strategically over the next few years while the ICE is still in production.

@NRW was thinking this this morning. I saw a YT review from Malaysia about my car and the bloke said he couldn't wait to give it back. Not because it was bad, but because you couldn't use the full range of the car's ability on the road. Was thinking whether I'd be just as happy with a 320d or 330e, and I came to the conclusion that I probably would. 

With VW Golf, would you be as happy day to day in a GTE/GTD? For the most part day to day, I suspect the answer is yes. I like pottering around in my Amarok. Slow and steady - big and comfy. Not very fuel efficient. 

6 hours ago, Charles M said:

@NRW was thinking this this morning. I saw a YT review from Malaysia about my car and the bloke said he couldn't wait to give it back. Not because it was bad, but because you couldn't use the full range of the car's ability on the road. Was thinking whether I'd be just as happy with a 320d or 330e, and I came to the conclusion that I probably would. 

With VW Golf, would you be as happy day to day in a GTE/GTD? For the most part day to day, I suspect the answer is yes. I like pottering around in my Amarok. Slow and steady - big and comfy. Not very fuel efficient. 

I’ve had this very discussion with the wife. I’ve loved the power the car has especially when tuned but in reality there is no place to use it all consistently. A GTD DSG would more than cover the every day driving that I do and although I’d miss the spirited moments, they are exactly that, moments. 

I input the details of my car into motorway and they say 29k odd which is not bad at all!. More than I expected anyway.

If I take photos etc and get offers, am I obliged to take the highest bidder?. I’d only sell if I got over the 30k mark when it’s to good to turn down and lump off some of the mortgage and have a gtd to potter about in.

Jon

1 hour ago, Muzza said:

More than I expected anyway.

Jon…for a  newer car so carefully and thoughtfully modified, to go and look as well as yours…have you thought of approaching “Dream Car Giveaway” that runs prize competitions for desirable cars.   Sell it to them, they’d give it as a prize in a  competition. 
Yours would make them plenty, so they might offer a Truly decent price better reflecting your spend.  Just an idea..but worth a try ?

8 hours ago, Charles M said:

With VW Golf, would you be as happy day to day in a GTE/GTD?

Truthfully - a 150Ps  Petrol dsg Golf/Audi A3/ Leon would be perfectly adequate.  My R is an indulgence for me.😀

5 hours ago, Clarkie48 said:

I don’t use the car to it’s full potential but it’s all the other bits that make it a R that I would miss

I did not, Wayne, mean to imply in any way, shape or form that I would either welcome or enjoy such a change.  I know how quickly I get accustomed to a level of kit and performance, and the “bond” made with your car.   Downgrading would hurt. 😮💨

7 hours ago, Clarkie48 said:

I’ve tried going back to normal cars before and it’s only lasted a few months.I know I don’t use the car to it’s full potential but it’s all the other bits that make it a R that I would miss.

Same here, I enjoyed the humility of driving a more normal car, but at the same time it got boring pretty quick.

Interesting discussion. Also makes me very glad I managed to sell at the peak (I also highly regard Motorway for selling). Usually I get this sort of thing totally wrong!

I loved my R but my circumstances (mostly motorway driving) meant I didn't have that many opportunities to use it hard. I think sometimes I did it just because I could and not because I wanted to.

So, now I have my Mum's 2005 Audi A3 SE 2.0 TDi DSG packing all of 138bhp but almost as much torque as the R. I'm over a month into owning it now and am so happy. I can park it anywhere and not worry (I actually parked between 2 cars at Sainsbury's the other day!!), squeeze it between parked cars and granite walls down service lanes in Cornwall without sweating etc. Last week, some seagulls danced, slept and shat all over it for a week. I would have cried whilst pulling out the DA if it had been the Golf. It has enough power for the real world and, as I said, my Golf wasn't used in the fantasy world of runs across the North Yorks moors at dawn etc.

It has the same kit level as the Golf plus electric seats and auto dimming side mirrors, less CarPlay. I bought a Pioneer stereo (makes the most of the standard 9 speakers plus sub) with integrated smartphone holder. It all works well enough that I don't think I'll bother with a Carplay unit. The car does not have a single squeak or rattle and has similar refinement to the Golf with, naturally, a more pliant ride. It's essentially a posh Mk5 Golf.

Now, I wouldn't have bought a 16 year old A3 if I hadn't known it from new of course. But something from the last 5 or 6 years and otherwise equivalent would have been equally great.