Penguin

5 Cyl Cupra Formentor Confirmed

There's been talk of it for a while, after one was heard/spotted during testing at the Ring but now Cupra have confirmed a 5 Cyl. ~394bhp Formentor is on the way.  Not a bad looking car IMO and certainly a lot more compact than I initially thought it was.  Looking at the Cupra configurator they're also pretty well spec'd as standard.  

Would love to see this powertrain go into the much talked about (fabled) Golf R 400 (or whatever it's going to be called)

CUPRA_Formentor_VZ5_Teaser.jpg

https://www.evo.co.uk/cupra/203193/hot-cupra-formentor-spied-testing-with-a-five-cylinder-warble

14 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Cupra have confirmed a 5 Cyl.

Haha @Penguin - I saw this earlier today on YT.....it looks a bit of a Beast, even with the R lump it goes very well....

Have to be vigilant when looking out for the Sweetest spots in the VAG Group Parts bin offerings it seems.   Scan the Skoda and Seat/Cupra offerings.   A thumping Discount always helps to sweeten the badge and looks (very Aggressive Cupra Formentor  imho)😳

17 minutes ago, EcosseGolfR said:

@Penguin Wow, didn’t see that coming! I actually like the Formentor, it’s got decent styling and with that 5 cylinder warble it’ll sound immense. Any thoughts on price?

The current range has two trim levels with the 310PS 7Spd DSG from the Golf R; they are £39,830 and £42,200.   I suppose the 5 Cyl. could be anywhere from £45-50K 🤷‍♂️  No word on pricing yet but more info is going to be released later this month. 

10 minutes ago, NRW said:

Haha @Penguin - I saw this earlier today on YT.....it looks a bit of a Beast, even with the R lump it goes very well....

Have to be vigilant when looking out for the Sweetest spots in the VAG Group Parts bin offerings it seems.   Scan the Skoda and Seat/Cupra offerings.   A thumping Discount always helps to sweeten the badge and looks (very Aggressive Cupra Formentor  imho)😳

Yeah I think if you can get a hefty discount to offset the usual poor residuals of a SEAT/Cupra then it could make it a very good buy (relative to the current crazy pricing with VW group).

I do like the look of them though, a bit like a really aggressive looking Lexus.  Take a look on the configurator, the nappa blue interior and bronze accents on the top of the range model is pretty nice IMO. 

1 minute ago, EcosseGolfR said:

Brings up the old question as to why VW don’t put that 5 cylinder engine in a Golf? It’s frustrating to say the least!

I think it's because the Golf would likely steal a lot RS3 sales.  Whereas Cupra/SEAT seem to traditionally get a bit of wiggle room as they are slightly behind on the overall interior quality but they seem to moving in the right direction.  

There's been talk of it for a while, after one was heard/spotted during testing at the Ring but now Cupra have confirmed a 5 Cyl. ~394bhp Formentor is on the way.  Not a bad looking car IMO and certainly a lot more compact than I initially thought it was.  Looking at the Cupra configurator they're also pretty well spec'd as standard.  

Would love to see this powertrain go into the much talked about (fabled) Golf R 400 (or whatever it's going to be called)

CUPRA_Formentor_VZ5_Teaser.jpg

https://www.evo.co.uk/cupra/203193/hot-cupra-formentor-spied-testing-with-a-five-cylinder-warble

I posted about this on ASN months back.
It was met with the usual negative replies
Could well be my next car as I like the Formentor and hate the 8Y interior / exterior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, veneeringman said:

I posted about this on ASN months back.
It was met with the usual negative repliesemoji23.png
Could well be my next car as I like the Formentor and hate the 8Y interior / exterior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be in a rush to have that removed from my drive that’s for sure 😃👍

17 minutes ago, veneeringman said:

I'm still in the honeymoon period with my 7.5R and not looking to change.  I've already made peace with the fact that I'm not going to be tempted by an 8R estate as I just don't like the mk8.  Maybe a facelift will change my mind.  If the facelift comes at the same time as the R+ then even better! 

So far the only other car I've seen as a worthy swap would be an A45S Shootingbrake...but I would go and take a look at the Formentor as I think it's a handsome, well equipped car and now with a bloody good engine too.  My only reservation is that I don't usually 'do SUV's' 😊

The problem is that once you start tuning the R, even with a modest stage 1, there's very few cars that would be as capable and practical as a daily, without having to spend a lot more money.