VaDeR

To tune...?

I just picked up a 2013 R and I had budgeted for a chip and intake, but I'm really thinking about just leaving it stock. My VWR intake comes tomorrow, my APR appointment is set for next week, but I'm thinking about returning the intake and enjoying the car OEM. Is the 300 hp worth the potential hassle of tuning weirdness?

I just picked up a 2013 R and I had budgeted for a chip and intake, but I'm really thinking about just leaving it stock. My VWR intake comes tomorrow, my APR appointment is set for next week, but I'm thinking about returning the intake and enjoying the car OEM. Is the 300 hp worth the potential hassle of tuning weirdness?
It's a risk reward thing, I had mine taken to stage 1 whilst still being under warranty.

The big name off the shelf tunes as well as reputable customer tuners are well tested and very safe these days.

Stage 1 is well within the hardware tolerances and these cars take to tuning like ducks to water.

It's always a gamble though, you pay to play. Keep some money knocking around in case you blow the turbo or engine and hopefully you'll have many years of getting to places more quickly.

What's the service history of the car? Is it a manual?  I would make sure everything is in fine fettle before tuning; oil, plugs, filters, Haldex, DSG (if it is), brakes.  Just mitigate as much risk as possible. 

Who is doing the map?  Will they health check the car beforehand (any reputable place should do).  If you have a manual, is it still on the original clutch? 

Personally, I'd just mitigate as much risk as possibly before getting the tune.   Stock cars can go bang, tuned cars can go bang.  Sometimes it's just bad luck, sometimes it's due to poor maintenance and lack of mechanical sympathy.  

Stage 1 is awesome on the R and from what I've heard the APR map is very good.  I'd go for it but as above, do your best to reduce the likelihood of any issues and also have a contingency fund, should you just get unlucky. 

The VWR intake went on this morning. 70 miles burned a 1/4 tank of playtime. The car still has a really sweet disposition, but a bit more effortless now. The mod has been really nice so far. Stage 1 comes Wednesday. Thanks for all the replies.