Hi Rebecca, well I completely expected to see you as one of the first new owners of the Mk8R but what happened to Black 😮

Absolutely love the Lapiz and options, looks a cracker - enjoy.

Phil.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh my God, I have a blue car!  😁  (after 20+ years of black cars).     I love Lapiz! A few very quick pics in between driving duties!     Pics from when I first clapped eyes o

Few more pics!  Ignore the dirt!  😁                       Interior 

I’ve had my 8R just over a couple weeks now and done around 530 miles in it.  Those were essential and work mile trips on a combination of motorway, dual carriageway, rural country roads and round the

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Raffe said:

Hi Rebecca, well I completely expected to see you as one of the first new owners of the Mk8R but what happened to Black 😮

Absolutely love the Lapiz and options, looks a cracker - enjoy.

Phil.

Thanks Phil!  😊

Yes it was time to make the move into an new car after a great 5.5 years in the mk7.  Also time to have a change from black, and very happy with the Lapiz, it’s a stunning colour and when the sun comes out...🤤  This is the first time I’ve been an early adopter of a new model, so hopefully won’t live to regret it!  😁  

Hope you’re still enjoying your beautiful TTRS! 

Fitted new front wiper blades between WFH meetings.

Although a new car, I’ve always found the standard fit Valeo blades to be a pretty rubbish and from using the car in recent rains, nothing has changed, despite being brand new and clean (and used in a clean screen), they skip areas of the screen and make an annoying rubbing noise.  So last week ordered my go to wiper blade, Bosch Aerotwins for front and rear.  The arrived today so just fitted them.  Well, fitted the fronts which are the same as the 7/7.5 fit being A846S set.  

However VW have changed the rear wiper so the oem blade is smaller than the 7/7.5 blade and the fitment is also slightly different and Bosch A282H blade doesn’t fit.  I’ll return it.  

9B2BC3AB-5BB7-4B43-8142-8364DF03CE6D.thumb.jpeg.115fceb28a0fe59e2870373a3cdca608.jpeg

New front Aerotwins on.  

95C0652B-218D-4336-ACB3-8C5A289F899C.thumb.jpeg.bba65e55e804d7b20f4d94347a8d3513.jpeg

On 21/03/2021 at 19:05, Booth11 said:

That’s very good to hear about Goodyear! (rhyme international!  😂)

They seem to have better rim protection than the PS4S which which is just as well with the diamond cuts!  

Hi, absolutely lovely spec! 8R envy from a prospective buyer later in the year...

With reference to the tyres - the Goodyear are excellent in this regard as I had them on previous BMWs and the rims didn't take anywhere near as bad a beating as any car I've had without, so definitely no bad thing. Overall performance was excellent too.

Gary

33 minutes ago, garykane1980 said:

Hi, absolutely lovely spec! 8R envy from a prospective buyer later in the year...

With reference to the tyres - the Goodyear are excellent in this regard as I had them on previous BMWs and the rims didn't take anywhere near as bad a beating as any car I've had without, so definitely no bad thing. Overall performance was excellent too.

Gary

Thank you Gary!  I love the car and the spec. 

And thanks for the feedback on the GYEF1SS tyres as that’s really good to know. The rim protection on the GY is definitely welcome and so far I’m not missing my previous MPS4S as the performance seems superb. 

And last but not least.....welcome to VWROC!  Great to hear you’re likely to become an 8R owner later this year!  What sort of spec are you looking at atm?  

Thank you Gary!  I love the car and the spec. 

And thanks for the feedback on the GYEF1SS tyres as that’s really good to know. The rim protection on the GY is definitely welcome and so far I’m not missing my previous MPS4S as the performance seems superb. 

And last but not least.....welcome to VWROC!  Great to hear you’re likely to become an 8R owner later this year!  What sort of spec are you looking at atm?  

Thanks for the welcome!

I’ve come from a previous history of Japanese hot hatches, then Fast Ford, with a 2013 Golf GTi and some BMW family cars in between. My last hot hatch pictured.

e8c25e2467559aa9c057e5d9a995925d.jpg

Always fancied an R and having toyed between a 7.5R and an 8R for the last few months, joining here has finally convinced me the 8 is the way forward and best suited to me - looks sophisticated, I like tech (so the interior is a plus despite its foibles) and has the get go to match.

The only issue is the price, so I’m going to have to resist my usual full options default and look more at essentials:

Colour: 1st choice White, 2nd Choice Lapiz
Must haves: DCC, Estorils, HK, Winter Pack
Stretch/like to haves: pan roof, camera
If my numbers come in: your spec!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
44 minutes ago, garykane1980 said:

Thanks for the welcome!

I’ve come from a previous history of Japanese hot hatches, then Fast Ford, with a 2013 Golf GTi and some BMW family cars in between. My last hot hatch pictured.

e8c25e2467559aa9c057e5d9a995925d.jpg

Always fancied an R and having toyed between a 7.5R and an 8R for the last few months, joining here has finally convinced me the 8 is the way forward and best suited to me - looks sophisticated, I like tech (so the interior is a plus despite its foibles) and has the get go to match.

The only issue is the price, so I’m going to have to resist my usual full options default and look more at essentials:

Colour: 1st choice White, 2nd Choice Lapiz
Must haves: DCC, Estorils, HK, Winter Pack
Stretch/like to haves: pan roof, camera
If my numbers come in: your spec!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Gary!  😎  

Sounds a great hot hatch history you have and a nice path to the.....Golf Mk8 R!   

Good spec you have there with some additional wish list things should your numbers come up!   The price is steep but if you can secure decent discount via a broker then it all helps.  Hopefully you’ll be able to make the move and get your preferred spec but either way the base car is so good!  

I’m with you on the tech.  Despite early misgivings when it was first unveiled, I’m loving the tech even though it has the odd glitchy moment.  Nothing major as yet just the odd slow screen.  

Hope you’re finding the forum helpful and informative and it’s great to have you aboard!  👍

On 23/03/2021 at 07:26, Booth11 said:

Thanks Phil!  😊

Yes it was time to make the move into an new car after a great 5.5 years in the mk7.  Also time to have a change from black, and very happy with the Lapiz, it’s a stunning colour and when the sun comes out...🤤  This is the first time I’ve been an early adopter of a new model, so hopefully won’t live to regret it!  😁  

Hope you’re still enjoying your beautiful TTRS! 

The Lapiz is stunning, and a great choice.

Yes enjoying the TTRS but all things being equal I will be upgrading to something with double the cylinders or wearing a Stuttgart badge later this year.

39 minutes ago, Raffe said:

Yes enjoying the TTRS but all things being equal I will be upgrading to something with double the cylinders or wearing a Stuttgart badge later this year.

Aha!  Well I look forward to you starting a new ride thread on that new baby!  😍

3 hours ago, Raffe said:

Trust me, you need 4WD with one of those engines, especially if you are used to haldex. 🙂

1 hour ago, Msportman said:

So how does it compare driving the 8 to the 7R Becky?

Road noise/ steering/ gearbox/ pick up etc?

How do you rate interior quality / sound system compared to Dynaudio etc?

Hi Ian, I’m going to do a bit of an 7R to 8R comparison summary/review at the weekend and post it in here. Haven’t had chance yet as work is very busy plus wanted more time driving the car this week to have a better frame of reference, so after work each might this week I’ve been taking the car out for a run on different roads to get to know it more.  Watch this space : ) 

One thing I can say from a number of drives along major A roads and motorways this week doing brisk motorway speeds with the stereo off so I can hear the engine, exhaust, car etc...is that there is a reasonable amount of noise around the driver’s door with respect to wind noise from the outside.  Not talking road noise transmitted through tyres but wind noise from the side.  Quite obtrusive at times on fast straight roads.  Now obviously the daily weather conditions and wind levels, cross wind etc, will play a part including the topography of the road (flat where I was with nothing meaningful in the way of windbreaks) but I’d say by comparison to my 7R the 8R is a noisier car in that respect.  Now it may be that I’m listening out for it or just tuned into these things.  I’ve had my daughter as a passenger on some of my post work driving test trips so I’ll have to ask her if she noticed.  

I think the doors on the 8R are lighter and thinner and perhaps seem to have less sound deadening.  They still close with a decent sound but not as solid a thunk as previous golfs, to the point where on a few occasions I’ve closed the door with the same level of effort as I usually do and it’s not shut properly.  Maybe coincidence or different reason, but on a number of dealership promo pics I’ve seen recently the 8R is pictured with the drivers door very very slightly ajar, almost imperceptible but actually not properly shut.  

But conversely I find there’s much less road noise transmitted through the car ground up, which may well be in part the tyres (Goodyears EF1SS) but also the DCC.