• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh my God, I have a blue car!  😁  (after 20+ years of black cars).     I love Lapiz! A few very quick pics in between driving duties!     Pics from when I first clapped eyes o

Few more pics!  Ignore the dirt!  😁                       Interior 

I’ve had my 8R just over a couple weeks now and done around 530 miles in it.  Those were essential and work mile trips on a combination of motorway, dual carriageway, rural country roads and round the

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Hol said:

Me running my golf on bridgestone s001's out of choice.... 🤡 I think i'm going to go for either PS4 or goodyears next time 😂

😂  Not everyone hates them Holly....but most of us do.  😁  Trouble with S001s is they never die!  Take ages to wear out. 

What size wheels are you on Holly?  PS4S (as opposed to PS4) are now available in for 18s as well as 19s now so that’s good.  But Goodyear also a great choice.  

4 hours ago, Booth11 said:

😂  Not everyone hates them Holly....but most of us do.  😁  Trouble with S001s is they never die!  Take ages to wear out. 

What size wheels are you on Holly?  PS4S (as opposed to PS4) are now available in for 18s as well as 19s now so that’s good.  But Goodyear also a great choice.  

Oh god, might just end up changing them then! To be fair I only went for them as they were on previously and it was around Christmas time when money was tight 😂

im pretty sure I’ve got 19”, it will most likely be which ones have an offer on as I often see like £10 off 4 etc on black circles 😊

On 26/03/2021 at 01:09, Booth11 said:

If you think Continentals are quiet you want to get Michelin PS4S, they make Contis seem rowdy!  And so far, I’d say Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports are even quieter than MPS4S but maybe just placebo and affected by DCC and the actual car itself. 

Conti 6 are very good...less noisy equally grippy as PS4.

Oddly I’m trying to wear them out....I have MPS4S on the front. I’d say very similar noisy levels.

14 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Had the chance to drive some of my favourite localish roads this morning (to and from Covid vaccination centre).  Predominantly in Individual mode with everything set to Race (gearbox in S) except the engine sound in Pure. And DCC set on level 7 just below half way in the 15 level range. 

Fast long roads with sweeping corners and challenging camber - some single carriageway, some dual carriageway.  A great test of the car’s overtaking ability, which is truly rapid, and really good opportunity to feel the torque vectoring in play as the camber and bends kicked it in.  Really felt the power shifting to the off-side wheels and then shifting again, equalising as accelerating out of the bend onto the straight, the road levelling, before loading it up again into abd out of another bend with the power diverting again.   Loads of feedback and absolutely glued to the road as throughout.  The car has such improved turn in, the lack of understeer is a treat.  And it’s on these type of roads where the feedback and engagement is very apparent.   Non of the numbness and sterility that the mk7 had a tendency to display.  The torque is constant, it just keeps on going and going.  DCC soaked up the bumps.  Then back into town where it goes all Golf again, lol.  All in all a thrilling ride!  

Interesting first review.

I suppose at least with the 7R you can do some simple cost effective improvements to get better turn and feel. Superpro Caster set, swap out the  rear ARB and springs to improve its overall feel and handling.

At least the 8R has improved on the stock 7R like for like.

I see Autocar vid wasn’t complimentary about the interior and in general the digital touch screen controls.

6 hours ago, Msportman said:

Interesting first review.

I suppose at least with the 7R you can do some simple cost effective improvements to get better turn and feel. Superpro Caster set, swap out the  rear ARB and springs to improve its overall feel and handling.

At least the 8R has improved on the stock 7R like for like.

I see Autocar vid wasn’t complimentary about the interior and in general the digital touch screen controls.

Yes Ian I agree.  Out of the box, the mk8 R is a better car in terms of drive, handling, driving dynamics, steering, braking etc.  My mk7 was not modified at all, other than adding a much needed pedal box, so when I’m comparing the mk7 amd mk8 here I’m comparing both in stock form. 

Of course you can modify, relatively inexpensively, the mk7/7.5 to improve some of the areas which we know it is a bit lacking, and loads of owners on here have done that and felt the benefits.   The appearance of the mk8 R doesn’t render the 7/7.5 any less the great car that it is, but it has addressed the areas where the 7/7.5 was lacking, and has addressed those areas very well.  I think VW have done well to invest the money and energies into the chassis and drivetrain.  Even the throttle response is much much improved, in the driving I’ve done over the last 11 days, in various modes, I’ve not found it needing a pedal box as yet.  

The interior quality is undoubtedly poorer and cheaper which is a bit hard to swallow given the price of the base car, but I personally will take that compromise for the better driving car.  As for design of the cabin, I think the seats (cloth and leather) are a big improvement and are so much more comfortable than the previous models, which I think is important, especially for longer trips, and general day to day driving.  

The dash design and layout I actually really like and in the flesh I think it looks much better than in photos.  I’ve never liked a cluttered fussy or highly stylised cabin and VW have always got it right there for me in the past, and given the widespread changes to car tech, I think they’ve struck a good balance with the mk8 cabin, it’s lacking physical buttons of old, yes, but it’s not the barren desert of a Tesla interior.  

So far, in near to 500 miles driving it every day over 11 days I’ve had the car, I’ve found the controls - haptic buttons, slider controls and touchscreen to be absolutely fine to use, both stationary and in motion (when required).  In fact I’d go as far as to say I most definitely prefer it and find it more intuitive in many ways to the mk7.   The structure, architecture and positioning of most of the interior is better ime.  From the positioning of switchgear - to the improved height of the infotainment screen (to access info on there and at a glance see maps etc), to the useful driver information available on the digital dash display - too the positioning of the haptic buttons - to the climate system, I especially like the air con venting and trim that runs underneath the displays and spans the width of the cabin.  I find the aircon vents far better positioned than in the mk7 and generally the whole interior aircon / heating system makes it a more comfortable environment to be.  Add into that electric and memory function on the leather option which means even more comfort in the cabin.  

Some of the very early cars (not Rs) have had lots of software issues and very glitchy tech, which has understandably caused negative experiences but so far on the later software and hardware, apart from the occasional laggy screen function, I’ve found daily use of the tech very good. It’s not perfect and it’s got it’s gremlins, but it’s absolutely useable and not the useless crap it’s been portrayed to be by some. It’s actually quite a natural progression I feel.  Not everyone is going to like it or get on with it instinctively, it’s a learning curve but not a big one by any means.  If you can get a decent duration test drive, that would be a very good idea.  

I’ll post up some bulleted comparison points on other things over the weekend.  But of course more cars are coming through now so that gives the benefit of others experiences and views on all of this which can hopefully provide a wider experience base over time.  

6 hours ago, Msportman said:

Conti 6 are very good...less noisy equally grippy as PS4.

Oddly I’m trying to wear them out....I have MPS4S on the front. I’d say very similar noisy levels.

I’ve not had Conti 6 tyres Ian, I was comparing Conti 5P, sorry should have made that clear.  I found the 5Ps transmitted a fair amount of road noise and could be quite crashy over poor roads (had 3 sets of them I over my last 2 Golfs, incl 7R) compared to the PS4S (had 2 sets of those on 7R) which to me were a quieter tyre and more compliant in absorbing nerve jangling bumps.  Maybe the Conti 6 are better in that respect over the 5Ps?  

@Booth11 - lovely car and spec, looks like its being well enjoyed too - congrats indeed.

A quick Q for you madam when you have a moment - with the Akra do you get any drone etc from it at M'way speeds? its one of the few things I didn't spec on Big Ron 👍🏼 but as and when I go for the 8R I do fancy the Akra too this time. But I do a lot of m'way miles and don't want any more noise than I have to have. I love the pops n crackles in sport or race (surprisingly good from the standard exhaust, because I can control as and when) but drone is a big noooo for me.

cheers 

1 hour ago, DustyBones said:

@Booth11 - lovely car and spec, looks like its being well enjoyed too - congrats indeed.

A quick Q for you madam when you have a moment - with the Akra do you get any drone etc from it at M'way speeds? its one of the few things I didn't spec on Big Ron 👍🏼 but as and when I go for the 8R I do fancy the Akra too this time. But I do a lot of m'way miles and don't want any more noise than I have to have. I love the pops n crackles in sport or race (surprisingly good from the standard exhaust, because I can control as and when) but drone is a big noooo for me.

cheers 

Thanks Dusty!  Very much enjoying it.  

I’ve clocked up just under 500 miles since I got the car of which a good few of those have been  motorway miles.  The first few I didn’t notice any drone but then I did have music playing.  @Cogito asked me a similar question and at that time I’d not noted any drone.   However, the last few motorway trips I’ve done with the stereo off to observe various sounds and there is a low drone (at lower revs) from the Akra but I don’t find it obtrusive at all, and it doesn’t bother me, but whether you might find it annoying is another matter.  In Race mode, Special mode and DSG in S, especially at higher revs, it gives some lovely crackles and nice burbles as you say.  If you’re daily doing lots of motorway miles then I think you might not get on with it from what you say.  From the video sound clips I’ve head of the 8R standard exhaust, that is much improved over the previous standard exhaust and that also gives some nice sounds, so maybe that would be the better option for you?  There’s a few members now with cars arrived with the standard exhaust so hopefully they can report back on how that is in motorway driving as well as more spirited driving.    

On 26/03/2021 at 01:08, Booth11 said:

I also got up close and personal with the boot today and I’m pretty sure it is a bit smaller than the 7R. Of course I could be imagining it.  🤷‍♀️

And then I had a strange moment with the tailgate interior trim.  I’d not closely looked at it until today but was putting a few things in the boot including my mobile detailing kit as this car already is the most attractive thing on the planet to pigeons and seagulls (trumping my black mk7R which was much beloved by the feathered fiends) and I looked up to view the inside of the open hatch.  Now I always close the boot using the inner hand recesses, and as I was about to do that gazing upwards I focused in on central area which just looked odd.  It looked as though there was a trim section missing as there’s a couple open area and wiring looms are visible.  I don’t recall seeing similar on the mk7.  It bothered me so I emailed James at JCB Medway and he swiftly replied after going to look at a few other golfs in the dealership to check. He confirmed they are all like that and it’s likely where a warning triangle clips in for countries where they are compulsory.  That makes sense and of course am aware of the warning triangle and it not being required in UK, but I still think that bit of the hatch looks a little odd.  I think on the mk7 it was much more hidden.  Pics to show what I’m talking about.  Obviously overthinking it. 😂

4DF59991-89D8-4E7A-8FCA-42C0CC3CB770.thumb.jpeg.4d975edd11d3d89527bca605f4aec4fa.jpeg

7E4BA269-F127-4AA9-9D8C-E9BBDA169104.thumb.jpeg.9c2fa83f0c8b7e6b9bf573f852898fbc.jpeg

1BF480A4-16EE-4340-A41C-749D7C13614A.thumb.jpeg.3a7ef80e08d6cf81861356fd8c93b661.jpeg

Oh wow.....that is awful.  I assume you’d be able to get the clips and a warning triangle which would make it look a lot better, but even then there should be a cover.  Not fitting a warning triangle just because it isn’t required by law is bad enough (I know the MK7 was the same, I had to buy one).

Really pleased to hear it’s exceeding expectations in terms of how it drives, which is much more important that the cost cutting of course. 👍

But it would niggle me all the time, which is an entirely personal thing, but isn’t what you want when spending £45k

4 hours ago, Booth11 said:

I’ve not had Conti 6 tyres Ian, I was comparing Conti 5P, sorry should have made that clear.  I found the 5Ps transmitted a fair amount of road noise and could be quite crashy over poor roads (had 3 sets of them I over my last 2 Golfs, incl 7R) compared to the PS4S (had 2 sets of those on 7R) which to me were a quieter tyre and more compliant in absorbing nerve jangling bumps.  Maybe the Conti 6 are better in that respect over the 5Ps?  

Yep I agree re the Conti 5P’s.

At the time they were the tyre of choice and the grip levels were soooo much better than the other leading brands hence they were voted tyre of the year some years ago.

Yes they are noisier than the Conti 6 which are a softer compound but are on par nearly with the MPS 4’s.

They are a great tyre and super absorbent for shorter undulations and bobbly road surfaces but still perform very well for fast road and wet conditions.

My Cups take it to the next level for some circuit use but tbh they can’t compete with ultimate grip, heat management  and stability of a Dunlop Direzza which I run on my track toy.

Then it again it would be a PITA swapping tyres on rims hence the Cup 2’s are a nice compromise. I given up these days looking for ultimate lap

times.

I definitely think you made the right choice with your options and it certainly is a better choice than an S3.

1 hour ago, DustyBones said:

cheers 

I run the APR system which is the next best system when it comes to quality IMO.

They are already busy making a system for 8R and S3.

There very little drone in all modes and the only time you hear the deeper tone is pulling up motorway hills as when feathering throttle its as quiet on the 7R. I suspect it will be similar on the new OPF cars.

15 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

Oh wow.....that is awful.  I assume you’d be able to get the clips and a warning triangle which would make it look a lot better, but even then there should be a cover.  Not fitting a warning triangle just because it isn’t required by law is bad enough (I know the MK7 was the same, I had to buy one).

Really pleased to hear it’s exceeding expectations in terms of how it drives, which is much more important that the cost cutting of course. 👍

But it would niggle me all the time, which is an entirely personal thing, but isn’t what you want when spending £45k

Yes I’m with you in that Martin.  I think it’s awful finishing.  The mk7/7.5 has a trim cover which is why I thought there was a section missing, I even hunted around for a bit of loose trim in the boot and under the boot floor.  Then emailed the dealer who checked some other cars and confirmed that’s how it when you don’t have a warning triangle.  I don’t think he’d been aware of it until that point.  I went shopping this morning and when unloading the boot, my eyes are drawn to the two gaping holes   Ah well I’ll just have to train myself not to look at it.  Or buy the triangle kit.  I think VW should have produced a trim piece for those cars who don’t require the warning triangle. 

But aside from that, the car is really exceeding expectation in many areas, most importantly the way it derives and handles, but also including the interior cabin and tech, which I never thought I’d say.

3 minutes ago, Msportman said:

I run the APR system which is the next best system when it comes to quality IMO.

They are already busy making a system for 8R and S3.

There very little drone in all modes and the only time you hear the deeper tone is pulling up motorway hills as when feathering throttle its as quiet on the 7R. I suspect it will be similar on the new OPF cars.

That could be a great option then for those looking for something more than the standard exhaust who can’t tolerate any amount of drone.  👍

8 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Yes I’m with you in that Martin.  I think it’s awful finishing.  The mk7/7.5 has a trim cover which is why I thought there was a section missing, I even hunted around for a bit of loose trim in the boot and under the boot floor.  Then emailed the dealer who checked some other cars and confirmed that’s how it when you don’t have a warning triangle.  I don’t think he’d been aware of it until that point.  I went shopping this morning and when unloading the boot, my eyes are drawn to the two gaping holes   Ah well I’ll just have to train myself not to look at it. I think VW should have produced a trim piece for those cars who don’t require the warning triangle. 

But aside from that, the car is really exceeding expectation in many areas, most importantly the way it derives and handles, but also including the interior cabin and tech, which I never thought I’d say.

The open cup holders would annoy me every day, but the rest of the interior looks fine to me and I’ve never been concerned about the tech/touchscreen/heater controls, they are all things you’d get used to quickly and make the interior look more modern.

After about 12 years with BMW iDrive, the last of which was touchscreen as well, I though moving away from that would be frustrating but my current car has got 2 touchscreens and I got used to it really quickly, just need to use a glass cloth every day!  It is helped by having more traditional controls as well, so you don’t have to (but you can) use the touchscreen for temperature, heated/cooled seats, drive modes, volume, suspension, stop/start, lane assist etc.