Bec’s Lapiz 8R

7 hours ago, Msportman said:

Can you not use the garage to the rear to tuck your R up? 
Similar set up to myself although our garage has been utilised with utility and bikes! Needs a good sort out!

My MK2 is in another garage during the winter months although it’s garaged all year round. One thing I’ll look for next time if we move is a bigger garage!

TBH with a good sort out I could squeeze it in.

No, our existing garage is not accessible for cars.  It’s long since been split with a dividing wall and one part is utility and bikes storage, and the other part is a gym (has had wall insulation and internal cladding and heating added) so the existing garage is a non car arrangement and a no-go.  Then I have my detailing shed where I keep all detailing stuff (plus koi pond gear) and we have some other sheds for gardening gear.  So it’s just the car lacking a home! Lol.  A few years ago we did look at a rural place that had a beautiful standalone rustic triple design garage building with garage, car ports and an office above it, and that was perfect, but the house that went with it, whilst reasonably attractive, needed a lot spending on it both internally and externally (garden, patio etc) and the asking price was very high to start, and the only benefit over what we already have was the garage, so we decided to stay put.  To be honest, whilst I’d love a garage (it would have to be of a certain design etc) it’s not something I’m obsessed with -  I’ve long been used to having to conduct all car stuff out on the drive at the mercy of the elements and so that just continues, although the older I get, the nicer the appeal of a warm triple garage, lol!  

Good to hear that Mk2 of yours is garaged year round. Beautiful car!  As is your Mk7.  

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh my God, I have a blue car!  😁  (after 20+ years of black cars).     I love Lapiz! A few very quick pics in between driving duties!     Pics from when I first clapped eyes o

I’ve had my 8R just over a couple weeks now and done around 530 miles in it.  Those were essential and work mile trips on a combination of motorway, dual carriageway, rural country roads and round the

Few more pics!  Ignore the dirt!  😁                       Interior 

Posted Images

The use of garage issue gets discussed in our house too. At present my R lies there when not being driven. 
Come the time when EVs are it.  And we have a Tesla/Audi/Polestat or whatever - it can live on the drive and there’ll be plenty of storage space for filling, haha.

19 minutes ago, NRW said:

The use of garage issue gets discussed in our house too. At present my R lies there when not being driven. 
Come the time when EVs are it.  And we have a Tesla/Audi/Polestat or whatever - it can live on the drive and there’ll be plenty of storage space for filling, haha.

Ooh, what do with all that vacant space!  😁

When we had the driveway done, we were going to have electric charging points in at that time, but were advised to leave it it nearer the time of actually getting an EV as things move on quite rapidly so best to wait. 

On 10/01/2022 at 07:56, Booth11 said:

No, it’s just a bog standard detached house.  I just decided the cars deserved their own car park.  😁   It used to have a lawn and bonded gravel drive at the front but the garden bit was wasted (rear garden is big so no real need for front) and through car washing, I jet washed most of the gravel into oblivion and rotted the sleeper edging so a couple years back get the diggers in and decided to redo the whole thing in sandstone.  Unfortunately couldn’t get planning permission for a carport on it which was the hope.  Do have a side garage but that’s used for other things.  

From this 

8-F503-F96-24-BD-417-B-86-CB-62-F38-C293

to this 

48678048458_37879562ab_o.jpg

And nicely weathered now.  
51356869038_c54368e866_o.jpg

The drive looks great and a big improvement on what you had before.

But I can’t believe you have a garage and haven’t turned it back into a home for the R! 🤯 😆

3 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

so best to wait. 

Agree.  Our Powerupply comes into our garage just inside the rhs wall. The perfect spot, thought I for a Charger when needed - then car could sit out on charge with cable attached under the garage door.  Neat like.

A neighbour, similar house has some sort of Merc SUV EV (sorry, not certain as “they all look so similar” and I’m not that interested, haha) had charger installed, but on the exterior or the garage for some reason😳

9 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

But I can’t believe you have a garage and haven’t turned it back into a home for the R! 🤯 😆

If it was a decent size, that might have happened. 😉  But though it’s a double length garage, it’s single width and only vehicular through the existing single width aperture and access cannot be altered without demolishing the house.  🤔 😁  

Besides it’s conversion into a gym came about as a result of more important matters as as my other half has had his health issues over the last 15 years (3 heart attacks and cancer in that time) after that first heart attack he wanted to make daily exercising as accessible as possible, and so the garage became the family gym.  

1 hour ago, Martin2 said:

A nice wooden carport would look really good outside your house.

It never ceases to amaze me how some things get planning permission but you can’t add something that looks good and wouldn’t impact anyone else on your own land.

It would but even the more pared back streamlined version I considered after the original idea was not considered planning consent material.  I originally put forward a pitched roof fairly open design car port (not a full garage) but that was deemed a no for planning.  So other than something very very basic, i.e  simple roof on wooden legs, so open-sided, it was a non-starter.  Tbh the latter would be of little value.  

Annoyingly, my neighbours a couple houses up pretty must rebuilt their whole house seemingly under permitted development. We never received a letter about it (as you’d expect with nearby planning application) and even the then Head of Planning at the council (who was also my own Head of Service, as I work at the  local council myself) asked me if they’d have planning permission as he’d driven past it and noticed the major work going on.  I told him he needed to ask his own planning officers not me! Lol.  I’m guessing that as they were essentially using the same footprint as the original house albeit the new build being much larger, that was ok.  But a car port on my driveway won’t do much!  Grrr

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

It would but even the more pared back streamlined version I considered after the original idea was not considered planning consent material.  I originally put forward a pitched roof fairly open design car port (not a full garage) but that was deemed a no for planning.  So other than something very very basic, i.e  simple roof on wooden legs, so open-sided, it was a non-starter.  Tbh the latter would be of little value.  

Annoyingly, my neighbours a couple houses up pretty must rebuilt their whole house seemingly under permitted development. We never received a letter about it (as you’d expect with nearby planning application) and even the then Head of Planning at the council (who was also my own Head of Service, as I work at the  local council myself) asked me if they’d have planning permission as he’d driven past it and noticed the major work going on.  I told him he needed to ask his own planning officers not me! Lol.  I’m guessing that as they were essentially using the same footprint as the original house albeit the new build being much larger, that was ok.  But a car port on my driveway won’t do much!  Grrr

Maybe if you leave the detailing tent up for long enough you can claim it’s part of the property footprint and the neighbours will be much happier looking at a smart wooden carport!

4 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

Maybe if you leave the detailing tent up for long enough you can claim it’s part of the property footprint and the neighbours will be much happier looking at a smart wooden carport!

Haha. I’m seeing more cars with Covers over them on drives locally. 
Not easy on the eye for me.   And as for a Winnebago….my ocd increases with age. 
But tolerance will win through. 

13 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

Haha, maybe that’s the way to go!    I might need to add something to help it move along ….Union Jack design on the tent maybe.  😁

So other than something very very basic, i.e  simple roof on wooden legs, so open-sided, it was a non-starter.  Tbh the latter would be of little value.

You could have played in the “salami approach”.
Start with just one slice (simple roof, wooden legs),
1yr after you add on wall, on the side far from the road,
so it’s not noticeable. 1yr later another wall.
Small changes are more easily approved.
I’ve known incidents in which people built entire units using that approach. Not lovely or elegant, but effective.

Seems like you neighbor went with another approach:
“Better to ask for forgiveness, than for permission”

One more way to go is let a cellular operator install an antenna on it. Those get permits in the oddest of places and shapes. No problem whatsoever (and you get paid for it).