Booth11

Bec’s Lapiz 8R

I've enjoyed the whole thread. Car looks really nice. We were all so shocked when the first Mk8 pictures arrived. Yes, the simplicity of the Mk7 has disappeared but what is there looks fine and still unmistakeably a Golf. 

Great colour choice and selection of extras. I'm especially jealous of the heated wheel and HK! Oh, and also of the ride and handling compared to my (non-DCC) 7.5!

Another direct (from me) observation from driving this morning is DSG in S is an improvement over the MK7 6 speed in S.  I did a one-way 9 mile journey with the gearbox  in S (double nudge of the DSG nugget) and my experience is that it's changes up a whole gear later than the 6speed DQ250 box.  Whereas the 6sp would be in 2nd (when you'd want it to be in 3rd) and growling away, the 8 7sp will be in 3rd and so on up the range.  Not perfect but much more usable.  Course 7.5 with the 7sp DQ381 drivers may well know, but I think this box is an updated version of that. 

4 hours ago, NWHighlander said:

Rebecca, it looks stunning, it will stand out from the crowd. Looks very clean too !

I hope you can update us on fuel consumption as you run her in; it's not an 'it or a him' it's too damn gorgeous.

Enjoy.

Mike

Thanks Mike

I've set one of my virtual dash view option to Long term MPG so I can feedback as the miles go on.  Normally I only look at that occasionally but I'm interested to see how it compares to the mk7. 

Haha, it can be female.  But the male of the species can also be gorgeous! 😁  My other car was a she just because HWMBO named it.  First car I've ever had that was named andgenderedd!   This one undecided yet, need to drive it more and then decide. 

Car looks fantastic!

I've had my 8 GTI 2 weeks now and didn't realise you can turn lane assist off via the stalk so thanks for that - I've also found you can press the assist haptic button on the wheel then press ok to turn off that way too.

Do your climate temperatures remember to sync (after selecting snyc in the climate menu) upon re-starting the car?

Have you switched on the heated steering wheel by accident yet or opened the rear window instead of drivers'? (coming from a mk7 they are in a slightly different position)

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Two observations from an objective and not remotely car orientated passenger this morning (that being my other half who I’m chauffeuring around after surgery means he can’t drive for a couple weeks)...

• It’s a much more comfortable ride than my mk7.  

With drive mode set to Individual - this is observed from a journey yesterday with DCC in middle setting at 8 (of the 15 settings available - 1 being the softest setting, 15 being the sportiest setting); and a journey this morning with it set more towards Comfort end at setting 5.  The latter very comfortable over rough roads and speed bumps without compromising the ride, non of the wallowyness of the mk7 DCC Confort setting. With each journey I’m trying out different settings to see how they compare, but it’s good to get passenger feedback.  

• The HK sound system has much better clarity than the Dynaudio in my mk7.  

I briefly adjusted a few sound settings this morning, and though it’s very early days with the system, I have to say the HK sound is more to my taste than the Dynaudio which I though was very good.  It does sound clearer. Time will tell as speakers burn in and sound deepens. 

Sounds great!  Speakers do take some running in, they should only get better.

3 hours ago, rbel5553 said:

Congratulations Rebecca. Brave move. I wish you well. Your honest observations on the aesthetics of the 8 are much the same as mine.
Your obvious druglove of Golfs trumped your misgivings. Now you have it in the flesh/3D. Great stuff. We all wish you well I am sure. Hey, you collected it on St Patrick’s Day but I don’t suppose you’ll be calling it Patrick/Paddy....... ( don’t even answer that! ) Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks rebel! 

I think many of us had serious misgivings in the earlier days when we had only the base models as a reference point.  And at that point it was all very new and disturbing when looking at photos of a mk8 and then looking at a mk7 or 7.5.  But as with us humans, we adapt to what is coming and that's definitely the case to an extent with the mk8 Golf.  And once the performance models were showing their faces, things started to look up.  I personally think the 8R is the best of them design wise.  I dislike the design of the standard GTI (the front is just not great).  I like the Clubsport design much more but CS models are always too showy and fussy looking for my tastes, that's still the case with the 8CS.  Too busy looking an exterior for me.  The 8R hits the spot for me out of all of them.   Others will have their own prefs and likes.   And it is certainly the case whether you love or hate the 8R, it looks so much better in the flesh.  I was parked up today and returning from a work visit and walking back to the car, approaching from the front (which hasn't always instilled warm feelings!) I thought it looked amazing.  At just that view it (for me) has more presence than the 7/7.5 and purposeful presence at that.  I've got to say that it does look considerably more modern, sportier and aggressive than the previous models (and though modern isn't always better, it looks right) but still so Golf like that equally at home trundling round the ring road or at the supermarket or heading for some fancy do, or a car show.  The hype surrounding it off the back of entertaining but throwaway drag races, has been seized upon with glee by 8R naysayers and subsequently pigeonholed as a chavvy boy racer theft magnet (the latter may be the case), but you know what.....it's still a Golf, and has lost none of it's practicality and Golfness that, alongside it's blistering performance and sheer joyful drive, make it the perfect hot hatch come rain or shine, dust or mud!    

2 hours ago, PJD said:

Congratulations Rebecca, looks lovely.

Does it come with electric seats when you choose the leather option?

Thank you PJD! 

Yes the leather seats option comes with electric seat adjustment for the driver's seat only (passenger seat adjustment is still manual, VW cheapskates) and a memory function.  You might not miss these if you've never had them in a car, but if you have, it's pretty horrible going back to manual adjustment which is a bit crude.  My mk6 had electronic adjustment (both driver and passenger seats) and it felt like going into a cave with the mk7 manual adjustment especially the seat bolster adjustment on the side of the seat.  In 5.5 years I absolutely hated that handle and it was never quite right.  the electronic bolster adjustment allows for more fine tuning and that makes a big difference when you need the seat to be right. I have recently been diagnosed osteoporosis of spine and hips (a predominantly age related female condition) and so back support is of paramount importance to me now and  the multiway e-adjustment makes all the difference.    

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Congrats on the new acquisition @Booth11 🎉
Loving the options, and sounds like you’re happy with your switch 🙂

A friend has just taken delivery of his 8 Gti, and has very similar observations on trim quality and change curve regarding the fingerprint magnets/touch controls. Also said the infotainment is laggy and his keyless doesn’t work, but he probably has a Friday afternoon car.

is it just me that’s sad to see they went back to having an edge on the rear view mirror? 🤔

You know you’ll have to pioneer the AliExpress MK8 mods now!

Thanks Badger!

Yes there's no getting away from the cheapened interior materials (dash, door cards, centconsoleile etc etc, but not necessarily the seats though, as the leather is nice) and the fingermark nirvana that is the infotainment screen, but those things aside, I rather like the pared back cabin.  It's all a bit grey but I guess that offsets the light show you can have with the virtual dash settings and ambient lighting choices. 

Obviously it's very early days and I've read some horror stories of glitchy infotainment units and myriad dash warnings, but as yet (fingers crossed) I've not experienced any issues.  Apart from some slight delay on one or two occasions, in swiping screens, I've found the touch screen to be far more responsive than the one in my mk7 and easier to navigate whilst on the move.  Similarly I've found the haptic steering wheel buttons fine and they actually aren't that different to the buttons of old in practice.  I'm someone who does tend to adapt pretty quickly to these types of things so that helps, but so far, so good with the infotainment unit.  I know that some older software and hardware versions have been problematic.  Mine is this 

GOLF.thumb.jpg.15452653f14cf68e867054a07ce31552.jpg

Haha, yes Aliexpress here I come!  😁

2 hours ago, JonSW said:

I've enjoyed the whole thread. Car looks really nice. We were all so shocked when the first Mk8 pictures arrived. Yes, the simplicity of the Mk7 has disappeared but what is there looks fine and still unmistakeably a Golf. 

Great colour choice and selection of extras. I'm especially jealous of the heated wheel and HK! Oh, and also of the ride and handling compared to my (non-DCC) 7.5!

Thank you Jon!  The spec is just right for me.  The HK and heated steering wheel already a hit with me. The DCC too.  I've had it on last couple cars but this one is a different prospect and DCC on this car, adds a whole other level of ride enjoyment.  

You are so right.  It is still unmistakably a Golf!   

2 hours ago, TP27 said:

Congratulations on your new Lapiz Blue Mk8 R, Rebecca !! I hope you enjoy the car and this Thread is making excellent reading!! Have fun, 👍 TP.

Thanks very much TP!  Glad you're enjoying my musings!  Only a day and a half in but already know that it was a very good decision. 😊 

1 hour ago, GTD1414 said:

Car looks fantastic!

I've had my 8 GTI 2 weeks now and didn't realise you can turn lane assist off via the stalk so thanks for that - I've also found you can press the assist haptic button on the wheel then press ok to turn off that way too.

Do your climate temperatures remember to sync (after selecting snyc in the climate menu) upon re-starting the car?

Have you switched on the heated steering wheel by accident yet or opened the rear window instead of drivers'? (coming from a mk7 they are in a slightly different position)

Thank you GTD1414!   Good to know there's another way of turning of the very unhelpful Lane assist. I know you can do it via the infotainment menus too. The indicator stalk method is now second nature!  

I'll check the climate temps next time I go out later this afternoon. They definitely sync once the car is started on pressing the Sync button, but not looked to see if they are still synced after stopping and re-starting the car.   

No, I was expecting to be hitting the heated steering wheel button by accident after hearing that is a common thing, but no I've not experienced that.  I have turned it on and off intentionally using the short press and long press but all ok.    I did however accidentally hit the R button on the left of the steering wheel controls this morning so maybe my left hand is the wayward one!    

2 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Having located the electronic handbook in the menus, I have now found there is hard copy handbook in glove box! :rolleyes:

I hadn’t looked in there yesterday and kind of assumed VW might have been cheapskates and done away with it.  But I owe them an apology.  😁

7F06EBE3-BD62-4051-A87F-380FFE4E6B80.thumb.jpeg.bba4526fae3b661cbd20ef95b843ec4a.jpeg

Haven’t found the boot capacity though despite a browse!  

Thanks for checking anyway Rebecca 🙂

13 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Thanks very much TP!  Glad you're enjoying my musings!  Only a day and a half in but already know that it was a very good decision. 😊 

I'm in regular discussions with my VW Dealer - he knows that I want a new R, it's just a question of when I jump ship back to VW!! 😄

1 hour ago, TP27 said:

I'm in regular discussions with my VW Dealer - he knows that I want a new R, it's just a question of when I jump ship back to VW!! 😄

Hurry back TP!   😊  Look Forward to reading about your order and spec, hopefully in the not to distant future.  😁