Booth11

Bec’s Lapiz 8R

19 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Thank you GTD1414!   Good to know there's another way of turning of the very unhelpful Lane assist. I know you can do it via the infotainment menus too. The indicator stalk method is now second nature!  

I'll check the climate temps next time I go out later this afternoon. They definitely sync once the car is started on pressing the Sync button, but not looked to see if they are still synced after stopping and re-starting the car.   

No, I was expecting to be hitting the heated steering wheel button by accident after hearing that is a common thing, but no I've not experienced that.  I have turned it on and off intentionally using the short press and long press but all ok.    I did however accidentally hit the R button on the left of the steering wheel controls this morning so maybe my left hand is the wayward one!    

Accidently pressing the R button can't be a bad thing 😃

I see from your post above your software is 1788 which seems to be the most up to date (and hopefully least problematic) also the D at end of the first number has something to do with it according to the guys on the GTI forum.

I'm on 1666 and B, only real problem so far is phone not connecting sometimes, have to press select phone on the main screen for it to connect, seems a common issue with others too.

Gosh Rebecca  thereis just So Much to get to grips with with your new R, even coming from another R. Same, but different...but similar , but better!  
Leather sounds better.   Heated wheel nice.  app deliciousus, and 19” wheels.  HK has to be a bit of a bargain.  Memory Seats an improvement (wait about the cooled facility) on the 7.5 version. DCC great. Modes great and of course the newer engine and power upgrade.  All lovely and really good to learn about how it feels in real life. Thanks😀

58 minutes ago, GTD1414 said:

I see from your post above your software is 1788 which seems to be the most up to date (and hopefully least problematic) also the D at end of the first number has something to do with it according to the guys on the GTI forum.

I'm on 1666 and B, only real problem so far is phone not connecting sometimes, have to press select phone on the main screen for it to connect, seems a common issue with others too.

I just checked the climate sync and it’s retained the sync temps after a journey and ignition off.  Next journey it started up with temps still synced as before.  I suspect it’s all to do with the software and hardware versions.  Im‘m aware the one I have is the latest.  

2 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Hurry back TP!   😊  Look Forward to reading about your order and spec, hopefully in the not to distant future.  😁

Just need a £50k windfall, asap!!

On a serious note, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the HK sound system, over the Dynaudio we had in our Mk7 R's. 

In the BMW, the HK system offers (to my ear) a much 'fuller' sound although the Dynaudio in my R never disappointed. Interesting move too from VW to jump ship to HK.

46 minutes ago, TP27 said:

Just need a £50k windfall, asap!!

On a serious note, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the HK sound system, over the Dynaudio we had in our Mk7 R's. 

In the BMW, the HK system offers (to my ear) a much 'fuller' sound although the Dynaudio in my R never disappointed. Interesting move too from VW to jump ship to HK.

😂 

Early impressions of the HK are good.  I need to have more of a play around with settings but compared to Dynaudio it’s looking very promising.  I’ll feedback more in time.  

Congrats Booth, I hope you're super happy with it. Looking forward to seeing what modifications you make, although it's looking pretty good so far!

I like the mk8 well enough, but I'm not sure I could stomach the lack of diversity in the external colours, as well as the use of blue in the interior. Not much room for a more unique accent colour! Hope someone proves me wrong though.

The exhaust looks amazing, and by all accounts the car absolutely flies! Enjoy [emoji1303]

3 hours ago, GTD1414 said:

@Booth11  I was going to give you my limited knowledge on software and hardware but I see @GTD1414 has already told you the good news.

from what I’ve read 1788 is the latest update and the D on the device means it’s a later model than a lower letter or a more advanced version (not sure).

look forward to hearing all your updates with the Lapiz Blue 8R

16 minutes ago, AndyR said:

@Booth11  I was going to give you my limited knowledge on software and hardware but I see @GTD1414 has already told you the good news.

from what I’ve read 1788 is the latest update and the D on the device means it’s a later model than a lower letter or a more advanced version (not sure).

look forward to hearing all your updates with the Lapiz Blue 8R

Thanks very much Andy (and GTD2414).  Much appreciated  👍  I’m was already aware of the various software and hardware versions from the GTI forum (not active there anymore but still have a look on there now and again as 8GTIs precedes the 8R so gives a taste of the tech issues going on) and the problems suffered with some of those earlier GTIs including the cars that have had steering wheels replaced to address issues.  I expected to have the 1788 and D versions so it’s a relief that that is actually the case.  That’s not to say there won’t be any issues but nothing noted so far. 

Of course if it does all start to go pear shaped, I’ll be sure to share but fingers crossed this latest software/ hardware has resolved the earlier problems. 

31 minutes ago, Matt7R said:

Congrats Booth, I hope you're super happy with it. Looking forward to seeing what modifications you make, although it's looking pretty good so far!

I like the mk8 well enough, but I'm not sure I could stomach the lack of diversity in the external colours, as well as the use of blue in the interior. Not much room for a more unique accent colour! Hope someone proves me wrong though.

The exhaust looks amazing, and by all accounts the car absolutely flies! Enjoy emoji1303.png

Thank you MattR!  I think it’s hoped that VW will introduce more colours into the R catalogue later on (in a thread previously someone was told by VW that was going to happen) so you never know there might be the silver and greys that would be perfect for working an accent colour (like your lovely yellow) into.  

On 18/03/2021 at 00:23, Booth11 said:

Oh my God, I have a blue car!  😁  I love Lapiz!

A few very quick pics in between driving duties!  

Pics from when I first clapped eyes on it at JCB Medway.  

51045914007_e2a93ab9be_4k.jpg

51045825371_fbe3057a5a_4k.jpg

51045094993_d8714371a9_4k.jpg

51045824936_f7c82162a7_4k.jpg

51045914367_d62b9c7d06_o.jpg

51045912742_c1745c0ed9_4k.jpg

And a few quick pics of the leather seats and close up. They are definitely not black but what I’d call a mid grey with the blue in the perforations.  Lovely and very comfortable!  

51045933182_5b45a0eff3_o.jpg

51045846551_c358ed67d8_o.jpg

51045934742_a83eba1f60_o.jpg

51045115733_2885138efe_o.jpg

51045846031_aebf94d20b_o.jpg

51045845701_7d05817c40_o.jpg

And the keys!  

51045824171_09e9d42fb8_4k.jpg

Congrats on the lovely looking 8 R Rebecca....in the right spec too,.....Looks great....The blue really pops....What are your initial impressions?...:)

On 18/03/2021 at 04:03, Booth11 said:

Few more pics!  Ignore the dirt!  😁

51046224577_5ce69b986f_o.jpg

51046224307_7a50696aba_o.jpg

51046134531_38a4aebeed_o.jpg

51046134196_7867b8f811_o.jpg

51047642927_f4a0b611e6_o.jpg

51046223437_23d23d6d02_o.jpg

51046223102_441864021c_o.jpg

51046135746_2d18a61ef4_o.jpg

51046224872_d6949c4a6b_o.jpg

51045404793_4fce3a5bda_o.jpg

51046222442_4da9281905_o.jpg

Interior 

51046314032_76b0854358_o.jpg

51046316667_e64b83e12e_o.jpg

51045498958_917df34d18_o.jpg

51045496213_042a1cffc1_o.jpg

51046224781_fdc9bd6546_o.jpg

51045498643_655611eddd_o.jpg

51046315352_23dbfac17a_o.jpg

51046314942_e53eda2254_o.jpg

51046225736_71e1f591e0_o.jpg

51046225446_872ea923b3_o.jpg

Awesome close up pics Rebecca....Love the rear view especially....That Akrapovic exhaust is sexy....💙

On 18/03/2021 at 09:53, Booth11 said:

Thank you to everyone for all your congratulations and comments, much appreciated. 😊

I’ve decided to be a bit cheeky and convert this thread to becoming my own 8R members’ ride thread simply because it would otherwise be a horrible hogging of a general member’s 8R gallery thread.  So I’ll start a new general thread for anyone who wishes to post up pics of their cars outside of specific members’ rides threads.  

It’s been a somewhat busy day!  Apart from being delayed picking the car up due to an accident on the M2, when I finally got there, it was a great no fuss collection this morning, and another chance to meet James (Callaway) at JCB Medway who is always very good to deal with and handles all their DTD orders.  Thanks to James for a great handover.  👍  

The car was unwashed as requested, wrappers removed and just a couple few stickers still on, but was surprisingly clean after a cleansing downpour yesterday.  All was in order and as JCB set up the primary driver for the infotainment etc, prior to collection, that’s a bonus and saves a lot of hassle.  Took a few quick pics and before leaving the car park I got everything working and CarPlay up and running.  And it was homeward bound.  The 33 mile drive home was an opportunity just to get accustomed to some basics.  But instantly I could feel the improvements in the steering, chassis and handling.   I will write some properly considered comments about the driving experience over the weekend, so for now just a very brief mention as I’m a bit knackered tbh.  

Since collecting the car I’ve done just over 160 miles in it today with no less than 5 separate trips up and down the M2!  Plus many dual carriageways and big roundabouts.  Necessity driving not leisure, and though I’ve not had the chance yet to get out onto some good rural roads where another side of the car will come into its own, it’s nevertheless been a good introduction to various aspects of the car and an opportunity to try out the interior tech both stationary and on the move.  I have to say it’s not taken long to get used to the haptic buttons and this gen touch screen, plus the slider controls.  

There’s a few ways to kill the cat with the system and on drive number 2 in the car I finally found the Stop/Start in the menu so I could switch it off.  I’ve found three ways to access it. 1) In the menus you can go into Vehicle and press i (info) button and then tap S/S or, 2) another way is to tap the profile icon at very top right of infotainment screen and then swipe screen right once and there it is too, tap and it’s deactivated. Or 3, and by far the easiest and quickest - from the main menu screen, swipe the screen down at the top to bring down the Profile screen and there it is, just tap.  So take your pick but the main thing is now I’ve found it I can switch it off!   In the latter profile screen you can assign buttons to your pref so that’s good.  S/S appears to be already one of the choices by default.  

The other unwelcome ‘on by default’ is Lane Assist but that’s easily switched off using the button on the very end of the stalk. Though needs to be done every journey. So until coding is possible that’s two things I will switch off every journey.  I’ve had a play with lighting colours and digital dash designs but haven’t settled on a favourite yet.   The DSG nugget or nubbin (see another thread, lol) doesn’t take long to get used to.  It’s nudge it towards you to go into D and double nudge for S.  Then nudge away from you to go into N or R. You can skip past N straight into R or D/S.  Not anywhere as tactile and satisfying as the old gear stick but becomes second nature after a few girdle.  P is a separate button but it automatically engages when you switch ignition off.  So you don’t even have to remember to press P.   

Lots more to delve into, but I’m most keen to get it out onto some more interesting and varied roads to explore the cars driving dynamics, cornering abilities and try out some of the many DCC settings.  Today I drove in Sport mode primarily (gearbox in D) with a little in Comfort mode (not my favourite) and a short spell in Race and Individual.   I’m out and about tomorrow with work site visits so will be taking the sweeping back roads to give it a different workout and try out different settings and modes.  Fuel economy is not top of my list of things to bother about but it’s already had it’s second fill up!  It had 3/4 tank of petrol in it when I collected this morning from the dealership but I’ve already had to fill it up since!   So far average of 26mpg.  Which is better than my mk7, but I haven’t yet encountered the inevitable city congestion which will come soon.  

Lots more to feedback on in detail about all aspects, not least the drive and handling when I have a wider frame of reference, but also the interior materials, which are a strange contradiction. I’ll do a full summary over the weekend but very briefly, VW give with one hand - steering wheel, leather seats, better carpet mats, better headlights, better lower dash structure etc) and take away with the other hand - lower grade plastic trim in the whole cabin (which I instantly attracts every spec of dust in the atmosphere) shiny piano black which shows every touch fingermark and general down grading of interior materials and minimal storage.  The latter I actually don’t mind as I hate car clutter so tend not to use storage bins for much more than a microfibre cloth or two and the odd necessity.  I do like the wedge shaped slot which is great for holding a phone at an angle (it works) and though I wish the central console still had a slider door, the bottle/cup holder clasp works very well.  

Positive things that have stood out just from today’s rather mundane motorway driving runs:

- the chassis proving far more engaging than my mk7, with real feedback of what the car is doing at the wheels. I feel far more part of the drive in this car. No hint of understeer (as yet) and great turn in.  The car still feels totally planted but much much livelier on its tyres!  All the reviews that talk about improved driver engagement are not wrong!  

-  The steering feels very direct with instant response and good feedback, and the smaller lock to lock giving an overall much more sports car feel.  

- I’ve yet to delve into the myriad DCC settings so it’s just been on a middle setting for today but the ride feels more compliant than the mk7, more comfortable over speed bumps and uneven rough surfaces.  The tyres play a part. 

- the Goodyear F1 Eagle Supersport tyres seem very good.  Too early to tell how the grip compares to the MPS4S but they felt very assured in the dry this morning, and the rain this afternoon.  Noticeable was the comfort of the ride which I’m sure is in part the tyres.  They were pretty quiet too even on some poorly surfaced stretches of motorway.  So far, so good!  

- the brakes are good!  

- The lower dash structure and positioning, including the height of the steering wheel in relation to it, I think is a big improvement on the mk7.  Better placement of screens although some things on edges of the virtual dash are obscured by the steering wheel.  

- I’ve yet to really explore the sound both real and fake, but in Sport driving mode, I found the soundaktor (which I normally loath) a much less obtrusive sound, it has a lower rumble than the very very fake tinny noise of the mk7.  More intrusive in Race but still the lower note was less annoying and no dash rattling observed but then there’s less to rattle!  Early drive in DSG S brought out a few pops and rumbles from the Akra which was rather nice but need to hear more without soundaktor or music dividing attention.  

That’s as much as I can muster today but will do a proper organised and easier to read structured write up of early impressions after a few days when I’ve done more driving and am better acquainted with the beast! 

Awesome initial review Becs...I'm glad you like it....I enjoyed reading it.....Very interesting and informative....Awesome read....I'm glad its a big upgrade over the Mk 7....:afro:....I like a lot about the Mk 8R....(but still a few things I personally would change)....But overall.....Another awesome Golf R...Looks great (even the front is slowly growing on me)....:lol:...and obviously drives great...:)

Thanks rebel! 

I think many of us had serious misgivings in the earlier days when we had only the base models as a reference point.  And at that point it was all very new and disturbing when looking at photos of a mk8 and then looking at a mk7 or 7.5.  But as with us humans, we adapt to what is coming and that's definitely the case to an extent with the mk8 Golf.  And once the performance models were showing their faces, things started to look up.  I personally think the 8R is the best of them design wise.  I dislike the design of the standard GTI (the front is just not great).  I like the Clubsport design much more but CS models are always too showy and fussy looking for my tastes, that's still the case with the 8CS.  Too busy looking an exterior for me.  The 8R hits the spot for me out of all of them.   Others will have their own prefs and likes.   And it is certainly the case whether you love or hate the 8R, it looks so much better in the flesh.  I was parked up today and returning from a work visit and walking back to the car, approaching from the front (which hasn't always instilled warm feelings!) I thought it looked amazing.  At just that view it (for me) has more presence than the 7/7.5 and purposeful presence at that.  I've got to say that it does look considerably more modern, sportier and aggressive than the previous models (and though modern isn't always better, it looks right) but still so Golf like that equally at home trundling round the ring road or at the supermarket or heading for some fancy do, or a car show.  The hype surrounding it off the back of entertaining but throwaway drag races, has been seized upon with glee by 8R naysayers and subsequently pigeonholed as a chavvy boy racer theft magnet (the latter may be the case), but you know what.....it's still a Golf, and has lost none of it's practicality and Golfness that, alongside it's blistering performance and sheer joyful drive, make it the perfect hot hatch come rain or shine, dust or mud!    

Lol I had to chuckle at the Drag race / boy racer comments, seems things only a bitter CS owner would make [emoji6]
Great first impressions review Bec [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is absolutely gorgeous, congratulations to you Rebecca. Best specced one I've seen, in fact the only other one I saw like this was in the autofungel (spelling?) review!

Can I ask did you sell the mk7 privately? That would have been a great one to buy for someone.

In Ireland due to our extortionate taxes that car with the leather, PP and akra would be costing €75-80k. The standard R starts here at €63k.

In that regard they will be out of reach for us here for a long time!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

Awesome initial review Becs...I'm glad you like it....I enjoyed reading it.....Very interesting and informative....Awesome read....I'm glad its a big upgrade over the Mk 7....:afro:....I like a lot about the Mk 8R....(but still a few things I personally would change)....But overall.....Another awesome Golf R...Looks great (even the front is slowly growing on me)....:lol:...and obviously drives great...:)

Thanks Paul! :)   Best thing I can say is that I wake up in the morning and can’t wait to get out in the car!  

Coming from a 65 plate mk7, the 8R is a totally different driving feel, which I wasn’t quite expecting to such an extent, but is so refreshing!  It feels a lot more focussed and direct. And thank god, the turning circle is so much smaller than the tanker like mk7 (on factory 19s).  😁

There are some things which are a kind of....Comme Ci, Comme Ça, to borrow the french phrase, as is the best way to describe them.  The panels, doors, tailgate, etc feel much thinner and lighter, less substantial, certainly the tailgate is much easier to close with one hand from fully open position (a demonstration of it being lighter but actually not a bad thing), and the doors feel cheaper (exposed bolts, though I know the 7.5 has those) and though they close with a decent enough noise, not quite as solid think as golf doors of old.  That takes a bit of getting used to, but on the other hand it kind of suits the lighter feel of the car and since the drive, handling, suspension and brakes are so much better, I can accept that.   

So far on the whole, it’s been a very good move for me.  

I’m so glad you’re still loving your mk7 and it’s fantastic to follow it’s progress and the mods you’re doing, always a work in progress and keeps it fresh!  Time to posted up some more pics of it I think!  😎  I may be in a new love affair with Lapiz 💙 but still need a DBP fix now and then.  🖤