Manual vs Auto - "S" vs "D"

BlackGolfREstate

It's a bit of a strange question and I'm not really sure how to ask it. But here goes.

In a non DCC mapped car. What is the difference between normal driving mode with sport selected compared to race mode sport mode selected. I can't tell.

Additionally. Does it make a difference when knocking into Manual if the car was previously in "S" or "D" I notice the car idles higher in "S" (both "Normal" and "Race" mode) when going over to manual from S it maintains the Higher idle. When knocking into manual from "D" the idle remains lower. Would this mean throttle response in manual is now the same as "D" rather than "S". Its there a manual "S" and "D" mode? How do you control this?

Im unsure if its in my head. But I swear it feels quicker in "Normal - S“ than "Race - S“ could MRC have mapped the Normal mode rather than the Race mode. Is that even possible?

I did say its a strange question and I'm unsure how to even ask it. And it's a question only fit for a forum

On another note. It went in for some warranty work recently. Someone said to me "be careful they don't reset/update your ecu you might loose you map"

Seemed an odd thing to say and from an unreliable source. But it got me paranoid. I can't remember what it felt like before a map. Is the map gone? Could someone confirm if VW can even remove a map at a dealership ship

Any simular experiences or info please let me know.

Failing that. Your welcome for the laugh the above undoubtedly gave some of you This is what over thinking and too much free time does to a man.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, BlackGolfREstate said:

It's a bit of a strange question and I'm not really sure how to ask it. But here goes.

In a non DCC mapped car. What is the difference between normal driving mode with sport selected compared to race mode sport mode selected. I can't tell.

Additionally. Does it make a difference when knocking into Manual if the car was previously in "S" or "D" I notice the car idles higher in "S" (both "Normal" and "Race" mode) when going over to manual from S it maintains the Higher idle. When knocking into manual from "D" the idle remains lower. Would this mean throttle response in manual is now the same as "D" rather than "S". Its there a manual "S" and "D" mode? How do you control this?

Im unsure if its in my head. But I swear it feels quicker in "Normal - S“ than "Race - S“ could MRC have mapped the Normal mode rather than the Race mode. Is that even possible?

I did say its a strange question and I'm unsure how to even ask it. And it's a question only fit for a forum emoji23.png

On another note. It went in for some warranty work recently. Someone said to me "be careful they don't reset/update your ecu you might loose you map"

Seemed an odd thing to say and from an unreliable source. But it got me paranoid. I can't remember what it felt like before a map. Is the map gone? emoji23.png Could someone confirm if VW can even remove a map at a dealership ship emoji23.png

Any simular experiences or info please let me know.

Failing that. Your welcome for the laugh the above undoubtedly gave some of you emoji23.pngemoji28.pngemoji58.png This is what over thinking and too much free time does to a man.

In short - DSG in Race mode tweaks other things besides just the DSG being put into S.  So not exactly the same as just knocking the DSG into S from Normal, and even Individual.  In a non mapped car you do feel a difference in Race S compared to Normal with S selected.  It feels ‘more’ to use a very non technical term, lol. 

There is a difference going into manual mode from S than from D.   As you say the idle is higher in S than D.  In a stock car S manual has sharper throttle response than D manual even without a pedal box (still laggy though!) hence pedal box, but S manual has the least of the annoying throttle delay than any other mode, ime. 

In short - DSG in Race mode tweaks other things besides just the DSG being put into S.  So not exactly the same as just knocking the DSG into S from Normal, and even Individual.  In a non mapped car you do feel a difference in Race S compared to Normal with S selected.  It feels ‘more’ to use a very non technical term, lol. 

There is a difference going into manual mode from S than from D.   As you say the idle is higher in S than D.  In a stock car S manual has sharper throttle response than D manual even without a pedal box (still laggy though!) hence pedal box, but S manual has the least of the annoying throttle delay than any other mode, ime. 
That's good to know. Would be good to have clear indication which mode (S or D) you are in when in manual. Rather than just "M" for both!

Perhaps the map just makes the difference in the various modes as mentioned less noticeable!