Hi all,

was recently hit by a truck whilst the car was parked up.. driver revered and swung out causing damage to the car. I’m now wondering if my insurers will write the car off or attempt repair.. I’m aware it’s up to them, but anyone got any opinions?

16 plate mk7 r

damages:

Wheel arch panel, side mirror, front passenger door, scratches/scuffs to front bumper & some scratches/scrapes to single alloy.

Any opinions? Also apologies if it’s not the right thread.

966D47E0-BCDB-4100-A36C-30DCA3263276.jpeg

3120C8C6-64BC-4AE3-974C-3A7877D3F364.jpeg

I had a 66 plate and also while it was parked ( I was out of the country!) a road cleaning truck did rear bumper rear quarter pillar and rear door. Didn't look as bad as yours but it was repaired without question.  I asked the VW repairers on first inspection if it was would be written of and they said unlikely.

I hope it turns out OK for you.

@Ljp101; always horrible when this happens to your pride and joy. Hopefully you got the lorry driver’s details, in which case liability for the damage is pretty clear cut IMO. 

Looking at your pictures, the damage does look to be external ‘cosmetic’ panels rather than structural damage, so I’d expect your insurer to say it’s repairable, provided the cost of repairs don’t exceed the write-off threshold (the cost of repairs as a % of the car’s value) used by your insurer. That write-off threshold is typically around 50-60% of the car’s value. 

Good luck with getting this sorted; hopefully it won’t take too long. Please keep the forum updated with progress and the outcome. 

Cheers for all the replies guys. The third party have basically admitted liability so all works are at no cost to myself.. 

Its hard to walk passed the car & not look at it lol but the damages make me not want to anymore.

I was aware of the 50-60% threshold & with it being what looks like cosmetic only, I’m hopeful it’ll be repaired to new. I’d probably place the market value at around 15-17k so as long as repairs/courtesy/removals don’t tot up to over £7.5-8.5k I should be fine.

Car will be picked up today & taken to the repair centre so I should know more soon, I’ll be sure to update.

thanks again for the replies! Definitely puts me at some ease.

20 hours ago, Ljp101 said:

Cheers for all the replies guys. The third party have basically admitted liability so all works are at no cost to myself.. 

Its hard to walk passed the car & not look at it lol but the damages make me not want to anymore.

I was aware of the 50-60% threshold & with it being what looks like cosmetic only, I’m hopeful it’ll be repaired to new. I’d probably place the market value at around 15-17k so as long as repairs/courtesy/removals don’t tot up to over £7.5-8.5k I should be fine.

Car will be picked up today & taken to the repair centre so I should know more soon, I’ll be sure to update.

thanks again for the replies! Definitely puts me at some ease.

Gutted for you and your lovely R Lee...If it was me...looks more cosmetic and not structural...I'd get it repaired....Should look good as new in no time hopefully...:afro:

*UPDATE*

So the car was picked up Wednesday gone & inspector has said that the car wouldn’t be anywhere near a write off so repairs/replacements are being conducted. Should be around a week until the car gets returned to me. Will post pictures of it once returned.. will be glad to see the horrible sight of dents & scratches gone 😅

22 minutes ago, Ljp101 said:

*UPDATE*

So the car was picked up Wednesday gone & inspector has said that the car wouldn’t be anywhere near a write off so repairs/replacements are being conducted. Should be around a week until the car gets returned to me. Will post pictures of it once returned.. will be glad to see the horrible sight of dents & scratches gone 😅

At least you don’t have to look at it anymore, and by the time you see your car again, it’ll look as good as new.  Really pleased it’s getting sorted.  

@Ljp101; good to hear. When it’s been repaired, be sure to inspect it thoroughly to ensure you’re 100% happy with the quality of repairs;

• Inspect the repairs from different angles and - if possible - under different lighting conditions to ensure the paint colour match and finish is a perfect match with the original paint on adjacent undamaged panels. 
  • Panel gaps are uniform and the same size as those on the driver’s side of the car. 
  • There’s no paint overspray on door rubbers, seals, plastic trim, under the bonnet or any other areas. 
  • There are no ‘hard’ edges between old and new paint where the undamaged panels have been masked off.
  • All electrics that might have been disconnected and / removed are working correctly (e.g. nearside headlamp, headlamp washer, window, door mirror). 

When you collect your car, I’d recommend you take someone with you who doesn’t have any emotional attachment to it. They can give an unbiased second opinion on the quality of repairs and may spot things that you don’t. 

Look forward to seeing pictures of your car returned to its former glory :smiley:.

6 hours ago, Ljp101 said:

*UPDATE*

Reminds me of the damage to my R about 18 months ago.  Painful to look at and surprisingly expensive to fix (insurance company took it in stride), but repairs were handled professionally and the car is as solid as ever.  No matter how closely you look, you'd have to guess which side was involved.  Assuming you find a competent shop, I'm confident your outcome will be similar.