Not sure if this is in the correct place, but I was driving home last night in race mode and having some fun, all of a sudden the coolant light comes on, I get back home to find the coolant was well below minimum. 

I left it a few hours and checked it (without removing top) and it was back to between min and max. 

Is there anything I should be looking out for or? I'm not sure if its had the housing and thermostat replaced, I'm a 65-plate just hit 42,000

Thanks all 

3 hours ago, Langl3y said:

Not sure if this is in the correct place, but I was driving home last night in race mode and having some fun, all of a sudden the coolant light comes on, I get back home to find the coolant was well below minimum. 

I left it a few hours and checked it (without removing top) and it was back to between min and max. 

Is there anything I should be looking out for or? I'm not sure if its had the housing and thermostat replaced, I'm a 65-plate just hit 42,000

Thanks all 

I suspect the dreaded thermostat issue so possibly time for open wallet surgery.

31 minutes ago, NP46 said:

I suspect the dreaded thermostat issue so possibly time for open wallet surgery.

just done mine before its given up again @53000 miles ,

thermostat housing is made of plastic hence why they give up ,

done water pump,thermostat ,housing and all gaskets 

all in was nearly 800 gbp inc labour i also bought housing from vw ,but you can buy the same online for a third of the cost ,gaskets also came from vw but can also be purchased online cheaper

sure mechanic said he was 4 hours labour 

hope u get fixed !!

I’d definitely get it checked out.  It’s a very common thing for the water pump/thermostat housing to go.  Mine is also a 65 plate and I had both replaced last year at around 34k miles under extended warranty.   As said above, have a look and see if you can see any residue and have a look under the car after it’s been parked up a while.  I’d get it booked in for a check. Do you have an extended warranty? 

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have topped it up with some water today, but I will keep a check on it, it's due a service next month anyway so I will definitely get them to have a look around, time to get the wallet out as you say! Will keep you updated what I find! 

19 minutes ago, Langl3y said:

Added from the previous comment, I don't have extended warranty, but know a good independent garage where I live, what is the rough cost of all this work to be done? The car is also due a service next month so will get them to investigate at the same time 

said earlier was about 800 gbp all in was also advised to buy new gaskets even if others look ok, ,pump can be found a third of the price online gaskets can also be found online i opted to buy housing and gaskets from vw .thermostat housing is 300 gbp from vw ,same as gaskets which are also more expensive from vw sure inlet manifold gasket is 80 gbp ,but if u have your own garage to use then shop around for housing ,safer to buy gaskets from vw ,iv just done all this work on 14 cjxc engine last month !

• 1 month later...

Just recently been told by VW after my major service that I may have a leak in my thermostat as coolant level very low.  They asked me to keep an eye on it.  I was quoted £842 including parts and labour.  I complained to VW as I've done 25k miles, held a full VW service history and been a loyal customer of theirs, and they offered me 70% discount off parts. (so now around £599 including parts and labour to fix).  Is this now worth getting them to fix it?  Wait and see? Get an indy to quote?