Who’s planning to Remap or mod their MK8 R??

I didn’t plan to BUT.... I did find myself looking at the dtuk website who already have a tuning box quoting 380ps and 490nm on the new R.

your post on the order thread found me looking on the awesome gti page at lowering springs. Think it will look fantastic lowered on 19’s. I will probably go down this route at some point. My brother in law has a workshop to do the work. 

I have also been keeping an eye on the maxton website for any spoiler extensions that tickle my fancy. I ended up  on the Ali express website with a google search for spoilers. However they seem extremely cheap and the quality would concern me.

Lastly i emailed a dealer on eBay re the helix sub upgrade that was advertised for the mK7. I suspect there will be some upgrade available at some point.

5 hours ago, Darlo said:

I did find myself looking at the dtuk website who already have a tuning box quoting 380ps and 490nm on the new R.

Would you take the risk though?  Apart from the JB4 and TMC boxes all the others boxes are just crudely spoofing ECU signals to make more bang.  Despite what DTUK and co would like you to believe there's no 'maps' or wizardry involved; I've seen a few comments from tuners who have dyno'd customers cars with tuning boxes before doing a proper remap and they don't get anyway near the numbers quoted or the AFR's are all over the place and the turbo's are getting hammered.  Worth the risk on a diesel...possibly...

If a tuning box seller has a drop down menu for all manufacturers and models you have to ask, what actual development goes into them and what knowledge does the seller have other than what type of connector a manufacturer uses ?!?!  

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

Would you take the risk though?  Apart from the JB4 and TMC boxes all the others boxes are just crudely spoofing ECU signals to make more bang.  Despite what DTUK and co would like you to believe there's no 'maps' or wizardry involved; I've seen a few comments from tuners who have dyno'd customers cars with tuning boxes before doing a proper remap and they don't get anyway near the numbers quoted or the AFR's are all over the place and the turbo's are getting hammered.  Worth the risk on a diesel...possibly...

If a tuning box seller has a drop down menu for all manufacturers and models you have to ask, what actual development goes into them and what knowledge does the seller have other than what type of connector a manufacturer uses ?!?!  

All valid points but I ran a dtuk box on my mK7 gti with zero issues and it gave fantastic results, probably 10k miles. Also ran it on my s3, gave fantastic results and zero issues, again 10k miles or so.

Had warranty work on both cars with no issues (work wasnt related to power train although the s3 developed a miss fire which was fixed).

I know the bluespark boxes give excellent stats despite their lower cost.

9 hours ago, Darlo said:

I didn’t plan to BUT.... I did find myself looking at the dtuk website who already have a tuning box quoting 380ps and 490nm on the new R.

Based on its drag race performance you might be paying for something you already have!

Serious answer....I wouldn’t risk the warranty.

7 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

Based on its drag race performance you might be paying for something you already have!

Serious answer....I wouldn’t risk the warranty.

Exactly. After watching the Archie Hamilton drag runs the mk8 looks like the real deal out of the box anyway.

12 hours ago, NP46 said:

Exactly. After watching the Archie Hamilton drag runs the mk8 looks like the real deal out of the box anyway.

It looks probably fast enough for most and it will be reliable and under warranty. It seems not that far off an A45S in stock form.

You’d be splitting hairs over the 0-62 and 1/4 mile times.

Pretty good value if you get a discounted bone stock MK8R as A45’s are still floating at £50k for a stock car or £56k with Aero Pack etc.

6 hours ago, Msportman said:

It looks probably fast enough for most and it will be reliable and under warranty. It seems to not that far off an A45S in stock form You’d be splitting hairs over the 0-62 and 1/4 mile times.

Pretty good value if you get a discounted bone stock MK8R as A45’s are still floating at £50k stock car or £56k with Aero Pack etc.

I agree looking at these videos and times I think it would be more than enough standard to not risk voiding the warranty for some time. I wonder if they have fixed the throttle lag, otherwise I’d still want pedal box. 

Here in Australia the a45s is $100k+ and the 7.5R optioned $60k. I’ll assume the 8R going to be around 70-75k which is same price as a35, s3 and m135i. I’m not sure how many happy paying that price for a VW though. 

I will definitely love to test drive one once out to see how it drives and will be on short list for next lease car in 2 years time. 

On 04/03/2021 at 19:25, Penguin said:

This is so true. One glove fits all simply doesn't cut it anymore with cars having fuel trim limiters, EGT protection and numerous other adaptive capabilities.

For the MK8 R we shipping a  UK spec car in to us (4-5weeks out and cannot wait)  and will be using it as a development mule. Looking at the electronics, a vehicle specific JB4 will be developed for this model. What stands out is they have installed a turbine speed signal sensor. Looking at some of the results of piggy backs it doesn't  seem to be for reducing boost pressure at higher rpm but this is something that could easily be used for tuning detection. We will be playing around with it quite a bit as on some models we have past experience with like Lexus we can get a bit more torque and better spool with controlling the specific sensors feedback to the ECU.

• 3 months later...

No break through or updates from any of the big tuning houses yet worldwide?

Normally APR, Revo, Racingline and others would give an update on this but not a sausage !

I heard from one tuning outfit that it’s extremely difficult if not impossible on the new VAG group ECU’s.

That and I suppose now the R’s etc start at £40k circa nobody wants to invalidate warranty on a brand new car with such a high starting price.

1 hour ago, Msportman said:

No break through or updates from any of the big tuning houses yet worldwide?

There is some YT coverage of ABT offering 380bhp.   An one from BOTB so equipped. 

5 hours ago, dopper99 said:

The Abt is a tuning module similar to the  other tuning boxes out there rather than a full in house remap of the ECU.

I suspect it works very similarly to the Tuning Box Awesome sell for other models.

IMO they are pretty basic in what they control for more oomph compared to a sophisticated remap.

The torque increase seems pretty paultry on the Abt unit. I wonder why compared to the rather larger increase in peak bhp. Seems a bit strange as normally on a remap of this particular car I’d expect to see at least 380lbs of torque if not more. Usually increasing boost, timing and fuelling to achieve 379bhp it would be very difficult to keep boost capped at such low levels.