• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine gets about 18 on a hard drive (not high speed motorway runs, more like twisty B-road). At "motorway speeds" it's usually low 30s. If I'm being sensible then it's about 35mpg.   Probably

Very similar here.  Get anything from 14-18mpg on hard run (or in terrible traffic, once got 11mpg in city congestion)  Motorway runs of about 250 miles will yield around  33mpg 34 max.  I've nev

Sounds ok. Some Ballerinas /Deep Sea Divers can manage an even wider range😳

Posted Images

Needs to be for a decent minimum distance, otherwise people will just reset at the top of a long downhill run and coast down all the way.  I did this once on my T5 van, did 5 miles at an average of 0 mpg ( I was actually using lower gears to save my brakes much of the time).  Same deal with starting with a cold engine & idling for a while (or booting it hard from a refill), which can show some very high consumption figures.

1 hour ago, goodbadboy said:

There's an Eco Mode?...:blink:.............:lol:

I've used it on very long stretches of camera controlled 50mph roadworks on the motorway with the ACC on, it doesn't matter what mode it is in that situation.  I never go there if I'm using the right hand pedal!

10 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

Needs to be for a decent minimum distance, otherwise people will just reset at the top of a long downhill run and coast down all the way.  I did this once on my T5 van, did 5 miles at an average of 0 mpg ( I was actually using lower gears to save my brakes much of the time).  Same deal with starting with a cold engine & idling for a while (or booting it hard from a refill), which can show some very high consumption figures.

Yep agreed, I'm having a proper think about what rules need to be set in order for this to be fair and make it a challenge. One of them is perhaps a minimum trip distance of 15 miles or so. Do you think that's too little?

my current draft are as follows...

Rules

1) Evidence must be given of both the highest and lowest economy figures in the form of photos
2) The trip counter needs to be reset for each test
3) The minimum number of miles on the trip needs to be 15 (to allow proper warm up of engine, and no cheating by coasting etc)
4) There's no limit to the number of times you try to achieve both highest of lowest figures.
5) The same grade of fuel needs to be used for each of the highest and lowest tests
6) Recorded mileage including a single decimal place is allowed

Needs more fleshing out I think and I'm open to suggestion

3 hours ago, Martin2 said:

I've used it on very long stretches of camera controlled 50mph roadworks on the motorway with the ACC on, it doesn't matter what mode it is in that situation.  I never go there if I'm using the right hand pedal!

I'm not sure there's much of a difference between eco and normal in those circumstances

Mine gets about 18 on a hard drive (not high speed motorway runs, more like twisty B-road). At "motorway speeds" it's usually low 30s. If I'm being sensible then it's about 35mpg.

Probably seen 40 twice in 5 years of ownership. I never understand how people on this forum get 40+ regularly - I genuinely think it's my R that seems to be thirsty. Or maybe I'm thirsty :)