On 13/07/2021 at 09:27, Ignition1 said:

Something strange happened this weekend. I did a 120 miles round trip to Orpington and averaged an all-time best 42mpg 😮 

I've never seen it go past 40 on that journey before. It was fairly clear the whole way like it has been on many prior trips there. And as usual I was in Sport + manual mode, and wasn't tip-toeing the throttle. I did stick to 70 / 75mph for most of the motorway bits which is what I usually do. With that driving style - 37 on a really clear and steady cruise, but about 35 is typical. So I was shocked to see 42.

The only difference? I've been using V-Power pretty much exclusively in the last month as Shell was more convenient. Clearly my R is running better on that stuff versus Tesco's Momentum which I used all of the last 5 years of ownership. No discernible improvement in power delivery but based on the better economy I'm guessing it must be more efficient over all - including improving power. 

I'm now a V-Power convert.

That's very interesting. Welcome to the 40+mpg club! As it seems relatively easy to get more than 40mpg, perhaps I should create an elite club for anyone who gets 45mpg or more?

How many miles are you at now on the odometer? Could it be that your engine is properly run in and now returning better and better mpg as time goes on? Serviced recently?

As a technical comparison, other than cleaning ingredients, I don't expect there to be much difference between Momentum and V-Power as they both have 99 RON ratings using up to 5% ethanol. I do know that fuel pricing is going up and is now back in the relatively expensive region at least compared to historic values.

If you can achieve 42mpg while not even trying, just imagine what you could get if you kept at 60mph using eco mode and really put an effort in? Yes, it would be boring and use levels of concentration you shouldn't need to use in an R but it's food for thought!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine gets about 18 on a hard drive (not high speed motorway runs, more like twisty B-road). At "motorway speeds" it's usually low 30s. If I'm being sensible then it's about 35mpg.   Probably

Very similar here.  Get anything from 14-18mpg on hard run (or in terrible traffic, once got 11mpg in city congestion)  Motorway runs of about 250 miles will yield around  33mpg 34 max.  I've nev

Sounds ok. Some Ballerinas /Deep Sea Divers can manage an even wider range😳

Posted Images

Over the 11.5 mile run into town I had over 50 mpg on several occasions and my best was 55 mpg. Almost on a par with a previous diesel vRS. Interestingly, I found that eco mode wasn’t the best for fuel economy. Totally unscientific and based on very limited data but I generally drove in comfort mode. Had a very easy life my R! 

21 hours ago, purplepulser said:

That's very interesting. Welcome to the 40+mpg club! As it seems relatively easy to get more than 40mpg, perhaps I should create an elite club for anyone who gets 45mpg or more?

How many miles are you at now on the odometer? Could it be that your engine is properly run in and now returning better and better mpg as time goes on? Serviced recently?

As a technical comparison, other than cleaning ingredients, I don't expect there to be much difference between Momentum and V-Power as they both have 99 RON ratings using up to 5% ethanol. I do know that fuel pricing is going up and is now back in the relatively expensive region at least compared to historic values.

If you can achieve 42mpg while not even trying, just imagine what you could get if you kept at 60mph using eco mode and really put an effort in? Yes, it would be boring and use levels of concentration you shouldn't need to use in an R but it's food for thought!

So I'm 39,000 miles now and had it since new, and had a major service last August - so definitely nothing to do with run-in or servicing.

I narrowed it down to:

1. Ambient temperature was perfect.

2. Fuel

Nothing else has changed on the car. It's 100% stock - always has been. Just the switch in fuel. Maybe it was a one off, somehow - I don't know...the ECU felt like being extra efficient that particular day :D

But you're right, if I did 60 and Eco I reckon 45 at least? I wouldn't be able to focus for that long. I'd end up pulling back on the DSG and kicking down after about 10 minutes lol.

Still - even being heavy with my right foot, and going at least 60% throttle (up to the speed limit-ish) - seeing 42 was a shock. 

On 19/07/2021 at 15:58, DSarge said:

Over the 11.5 mile run into town I had over 50 mpg on several occasions and my best was 55 mpg. Almost on a par with a previous diesel vRS. Interestingly, I found that eco mode wasn’t the best for fuel economy. Totally unscientific and based on very limited data but I generally drove in comfort mode. Had a very easy life my R! 

55mpg! Can I be so bold and ask if this was average mpg or live reading? 

Was your 11.5 mile journey all downhill and/or coasting?

That was the average as displayed by the car. It is quite remarkable. The journey starts a couple of hundred metres above sea level and ends almost at sea level, so trend is down but there are ups on the way and an intervening village to go through. No other traffic getting in the way though, car empty, weather dry and so on, so very favourable conditions. Plus I drove it with a view to getting good mpg. But it does show, I think, how efficient the R engine can be.