DCC. Is it a must have with 19s?

This topic has been discussed numerous times and you'll get many an opinion.

A must have? I have DCC and consider it to be a really good add on that gives the car optional personas. There's a marked difference between comfort and race which I enjoy switching between as and when the mood takes me.

Most of the time I'm in comfort mode (suspension), which makes for my preferred ride. 

Is it a must have, probably no. However if it's something you can find on a used R, or spec and afford on a new wagon then I'm a yes, go for it.

J. 

It would be a must for me, but I spend quite a lot of time on the motorway and my car is very comfortable/refined, so it would be too much of a shock using the Golf if the suspension was too firm!   So it depends on what you're used to and how you use the car, I suspect it would be fine for most people on 18s with the standard suspension and the 19s won't be that much worse (based on running 18" winters and 19" summers).

I’m not Mk8 ordering. But....

Id go for DCC. A good value FF option that you’ll benefit from for your whole ownership, and at resale.  Will you regret spending on it?
Also HK Music, Heated Seats x4, and Rear Camera for the similar. reasons. 
Probem is how & where to stop ticking Option boxes😂

I had 19s on my last 2 cars (inc a Golf GTD) and managed to get by without DCC. But the GTD ride was quite jarring at times. Just thinking I might regret it this time. Plus I’m nearly 40 and my back my start playing up 😂 

16 minutes ago, Wrex said:

I had 19s on my last 2 cars (inc a Golf GTD) and managed to get by without DCC. But the GTD ride was quite jarring at times. Just thinking I might regret it this time. Plus I’m nearly 40 and my back my start playing up 😂 

lol, I didn't have DCC on my 2015GTD.

That and continentals from factory for 2 years and I'm lucky to still have kept the fillings in my teeth!

J  

I’ve ordered it on the mk8 with 19” wheels  I’ve have it on current mk7 and had it on mk6 (both on 19s) and whilst I actually think life without DCC on those cars would have been fine (tyre choice plays quite a part too), it was good to have the flexibility and ability to change.  I think with the expanded settings on the mk8 it’s probably more valuable than before, especially with the improved handling of the 8R.  Plus I’m not getting any younger so might need some of those extra settings at the softer end as the years progress.   😂

For the money is, I think it’s an option worth ticking if your budget can accommodate it. 

38 minutes ago, DustyBones said:

Yeah me too, if in doubt tick and just keep ticking......😀

Exactly!   Thankfully the options list on the R wasn't / isn't too long, so you can't go completely mad.....but it's a lot of money to spend on something that isn't quite what you want, so best to tick some extra boxes!   Then you'll get used to those extra luxuries and so it continues, that's the problem.  e.g. You might think cooled seats are pointless / a waste of money, but those ordering leather for the 8R won't want to go back to seats without it (assuming it works well in the Golf).

It wasn't my fault as I bought it as a pre-reg, but my last car (an already very well equipped car as std), had £28k of options.  OK, the paint was £7k which is a ridiculous cost even though it was amazing (and hand painted/finished), but I'd add most of the rest if ordering one from new as I got used to it and as a result, its replacement has got an even higher level of equipment.

On 09/03/2021 at 11:13, mahalo said:

The ride on 18" wheel/tyre combination would be softer than on a 19"wheel/tyre combination so if reviewers are saying that DCC is a must have with 18" wheels then it is even more so with 19" wheels.

It's not as simple as this, as the 19" Prets are over 2kgs lighter (per alloy) than the 18" Cadiz and this drastically effects how the car rides. I have non DCC with Prets and I find the ride quality totally acceptable, even on my local pot hole ridden roads. I always run with lower tyre pressures than OEM (36psi) and this makes a big difference too.

If you've come from a big comfy saloon then you might find it harsh, but I came from a previous gen S3 on 18s and the ride quality on that was harsh at best.