Numberplates

Booth11

With my Lapiz Performance Pack 8R incoming next Weds, thoughts have turned to numberplates.  

On my 7R I had aluminium pressed plates with a border and loved those, but they don’t feel right for the 8R.  Needs something cleaner and sharper I feel.  

Will wait till I have the car before deciding but doing a bit of browsing and most likely will go for borderless 4D plates (don’t ask me why they’re called 4D).  The final decision will probably be between plain 4D and shaped 4D. 

I’m just thinking out loud here but here’s some potentials.  
ideas. 

4D laser cut 5mm

618-A28-CD-D57-B-45-EA-AE6-C-66-AB15-BAF

12-C70332-5-EE7-474-D-89-A1-A347-EE231-A

8-F35-E4-AF-D65-D-4-E04-A7-AD-C1-FC04-C1

7-AB7295-F-0-EF9-4-DA5-B83-C-52674-A60-C

4D laser cut 3mm

6-F23817-A-8-A5-E-417-A-B0-F2-628-B8-B29

4D shaped

32057753-27-A8-4-A7-B-981-C-48-A53-C0923

3D gel

E3916-E84-5-A4-F-4-A12-87-E0-19634-F274-

And what the car will look like!

1-DB202-DE-5384-4-F57-8003-87-FECA7-C030

7-D5-B835-F-3-DA9-4-A81-9045-5-A88298201

Decisions! 

20 hours ago, SRW said:

Are all of those legal, especially the ones with the blue in them?

No, the tinted ones are only show plates (edited my post) but was just idly browsing.  Will of course only be going for UK legal plates. 

So long as 4D conform to the rules regulating UK number plates, they are legal, same as 3D that conform to rules.  New DVLA rules coming for 2021 (enforceable from Sept) so that will determine things.  😁

12 minutes ago, GeoffT said:

If only you  could get completely flat plates that were easy to keep clean........... oh hang on, the penny's just dropped, that's why you want the 4d ones - extra hours spent detailing around each letter with a tiny brush 😀 

A decent pressure washer and pre wash will have most legal numberplates clean in about 30 seconds, a spritz of citrus pre wash great for sending summer bug splatter packing. 😜

Cleaning doesn’t come into the choice (for me) I just like a numberplate that suits the car and has a little something to it.  😊

22 minutes ago, Peter Wynne said:

I've got the 3d gel ones at the moment with a carbon fibre look to them, am tempted by the 4D ones for my new motor.. 

Rebecca, has the thought of protecting your glossy black key fob entered your mind yet? :)

Oh yes, definitely crossed my mind.  I’m hoping to find a case for it, though I’ve not yet looked as want to actually see the key in the flesh.  I had great silicone for my 7R key fob.  All suggestions are most welcome!  😊

19 minutes ago, PhilC22 said:

I think the "4D shaped" one looks quite classy.

Me too Phil!  I know some people are really not keen on them but I like them.  I prefer them to the gel ones and I think they’d work well with the gloss black rear diffuser and front grill and trim. 

39 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Oh yes, definitely crossed my mind.  I’m hoping to find a case for it, though I’ve not yet looked as want to actually see the key in the flesh.  I had great silicone for my 7R key fob.  All suggestions are most welcome!  😊

I hadn't checked up to now.. but I see a few available!

7 minutes ago, Peter Wynne said:

I hadn't checked up to now.. but I see a few available!

Ooh, thanks for posting that link Peter.  I really like the black/blue one, quite similar to my previous one.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/kwmobile-Cover-Compatible-Golf-Button-black-blue/dp/B08JLQDWPD/ref=psdc_303614031_t3_B08CDNNJ4K

I was going to wait but what the hell, I’ve just ordered one!   

Just remember new rules for plates this year. All new plates must be made with reflective material correct size lettering, numbers and gaps have the makers name and post code also have the current BS kite mark.

The tinted ones are a big no no

Police fine of £100 no points  

10 hours ago, MK1GTI said:

Just remember new rules for plates this year. All new plates must be made with reflective material correct size lettering, numbers and gaps have the makers name and post code also have the current BS kite mark.

The tinted ones are a big no no

Police fine of £100 no points  

Yes, as per my post earlier, aware the DVLA are bringing in new rules for numberplates this year, so that will dictate. 

57 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Yes, as per my post earlier, aware the DVLA are bringing in new rules for numberplates this year, so that will dictate. 

Just remember that the new rules for DVLA come in September. They can’t make you change the plates if use the current rules up to September. 

37 minutes ago, MK1GTI said:

Just remember that the new rules for DVLA come in September. They can’t make you change the plates if use the current rules up to September. 

Good point. 👍  I know the new rules are enforceable from Sept this year so better to get plates before that, or will have to follow the new rules.