What have you bought for your 8R?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Treated the car to Gtechniq CSU with Exo through Nathan @ Cambridge Autogleam. Shame it had to rain on collection day (yesterday) so it’s now got a right dirty bum and I can’t wash it for a week. Will

Got rid of those nasty Bridgestones and Swapped them for Michelin ps4. Costco is are doing an amazing deal At the moment ,Got them fitted balanced for only £73 a tyre.

Time for a new 8R thread!     Share your 8R purchases here, big or small, medium or minuscule.     To kick off......a mini one.   Following the footrest cover, made another

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Underscore_1 said:

Hey Jase do you know if the retractable cover for cup holder is available elsewhere? As this is something I'll definitely be looking for. Not wishing to derail the thread but I've had a quick online search but can't find anything. Thanks.  

I am yet to find one either.... I keep trawling through the Ali-Express site but nothing as of yet, although I believe the Japanese or Chinese version if the mk 8 has one fitted.... I am sure I have seen a photo of it but I may be wrong. 

My plan was to get hold of a mk7 slider piece and see how it compares to size of the mk 8 cup holder area and whether It could be incorporated into a 3D printed Frame that would replace the existing piece of top trim, but hold the mk7 slider. That is one avenue I will explore, together with trying to make a complete bespoke piece myself. 

Just ordered a set of Bosch front wipers. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W1KKYUI/ref=sw_img_1?smid=&psc=1 

Also....... After a long time waiting and hoping...... I have secured 2x 3D printers in the office at work!!!!! Demo of how it works etc is scheduled for Monday depending on whether the new covid rules mean we can't go in. But they are there so when we are allowed in work then I am hoping that MOD fun cyber police don't put restrictions on what it can be used for to stop us using it for personnel builds. 

On my list of things to prototype are: 

1 - Warning triangle housing cover
2 - Retractable cup holder covers (like the mk7 has) 

If anyone can think of anything else to try and make let me know..... I can but try! 

It might be much cheaper to send the files over to a shop in east EU or APAC and have them make it, and then ship it to you.

And if you do that, I want a pair of those as well
(and willing to pay for it:-)
6 hours ago, AHG said:

It might be much cheaper to send the files over to a shop in east EU or APAC and have them make it, and then ship it to you.

And if you do that, I want a pair of those as well
(and willing to pay for it:-)

When work will be paying for it........ 🤫

1 hour ago, AHG said:

Seems to be a version that has it
I wonder how many parts we’d have to replace to retrofit it

c275f1c520e095f388e80ceb1047eddd.jpg

I think that is the one I saw too. I reckon it will just be that piece of trim that the chrome piece is attached too. That clips off but will no doubt have chocolate clips 

7 hours ago, Silverstoned said:

HI Everyone.  Just posting to thank all of you for the ideas for my R.  Still waiting on it until next week on the West coast of Canada, but very happy to see everyone finding little bits for their cars since you have a year head start on us over here.

It’s a good thread for ideas from those of us that have already taken ownership over here and anyone waiting.  Glad you’re finding it useful for when you get yours.  

1 hour ago, Silverstoned said:

I don't think leather was an option on the R in europe.  Your best bet might be headrests from a leather GTI, but not sure what colours are available.

Yes it is.  Leather is an option on the UK and Euro 8R.  @partsguy17

Here are the wraparound style leather rear headrests on mine.

51571401612_f8b06cfb9f_o.jpg

I believe the US ones don’t overlap the seat backs like the UK/Euro ones.  

GTI headrests have red inserts so would look very odd on an R.  😁

Those headrests are indeed much lower than the ones for NA.  I'll be on the lookout for them.  Picked up some dynamic center caps for my R and 8/15mm spacers.  Will install both when I have a chance to pull the wheels.  Dieselgeek short shift kit, Racinline hood strut and BMS short throw clutch stop ordered today.  I can't wait to tighten up the 6sp MT.  The throw in stock form is way too long.

On 23/12/2021 at 18:47, Silverstoned said:

Those headrests are indeed much lower than the ones for NA.  I'll be on the lookout for them.  Picked up some dynamic center caps for my R and 8/15mm spacers.  Will install both when I have a chance to pull the wheels.  Dieselgeek short shift kit, Racinline hood strut and BMS short throw clutch stop ordered today.  I can't wait to tighten up the 6sp MT.  The throw in stock form is way too long.

Hopefully somebody here can get a part number *hint hint* for those headrests ;) I have a 4 month wait for my car (Mar/Apr) do I have time to order a few things.

28 minutes ago, partsguy17 said:

Hopefully somebody here can get a part number *hint hint* for those headrests ;) I have a 4 month wait for my car (Mar/Apr) do I have time to order a few things.

I’ll have a look at mine but atm I’m thousands of miles from my car so it’ll not be for a couple weeks.