How safe is SE England?

JerseyR

Hi all

Its another dumb question from me... 

Covid permitting, I'll be bringing my 2015 R over to the UK in mid-July to see my Mum in Emsworth, Hants and my brother in Faversham, Kent. 

Given all the horror stories about stolen R's, is it worth me buying a diskloc or similar prior to coming over? 

The car will be parked on their respective driveways and does not have Ghost or similar.  It will have roof bars and a roof box, to look a bit crap! 

Thanks for your time 

Ben

39 minutes ago, JerseyR said:

Hi all

Its another dumb question from me... 

Covid permitting, I'll be bringing my 2015 R over to the UK in mid-July to see my Mum in Emsworth, Hants and my brother in Faversham, Kent. 

Given all the horror stories about stolen R's, is it worth me buying a diskloc or similar prior to coming over? 

The car will be parked on their respective driveways and does not have Ghost or similar.  It will have roof bars and a roof box, to look a bit crap! 

Thanks for your time 

Ben

I live 12 miles from Faversham and visit it pretty regularly and it’s not downtown Brooklyn.  😁   There is car crime in Kent of course but it fares pretty well compared to other parts of the UK.  Take sensible precautions and I’m sure you’ll be fine especially if it’s in a driveway.  I had my mk7 R for 5.5 years on driveway without Ghost or dislock and the only disappearing act it’s done is last Thurs when I sold it.   

No different to anywhere else apart maybe from a few hot spots (parts of any large city really)

Stuff happens everywhere these days, maybe not on small islands, but it ain’t Kosovo...

Think you’re going to be more likely to be scared on the M25 than have your car nicked

Why not ask your mother and brother, they (I guess) watch local news reports, are aware of their locations crime rates more than us?

A lot of car crime is opportunistic, I read a report from my local constabulary after thefts from vehicles, later police patrols found 8 out of 70 plus cars were found to be unlocked!

5 minutes ago, SRW said:

Why not ask your mother and brother, they (I guess) watch local news reports, are aware of their locations crime rates more than us?

A lot of car crime is opportunistic, I read a report from my local constabulary after thefts from vehicles, later police patrols found 8 out of 70 plus cars were found to be unlocked!

OP tried to call them, but they’re both at the police station reporting nicked cars 🤪

1 minute ago, Booth11 said:

Yeah, me too. 

🤔So... this is going to mean that later in the year, after the Lifting....the roads up hear and further North are going to be filled, clogged with you guys from the South on staycation/road trips?
(im sure the thought could not possibly have crossed your mind😂)

10 minutes ago, NRW said:

🤔So... this is going to mean that later in the year, after the Lifting....the roads up hear and further North are going to be filled, clogged with you guys from the South on staycation/road trips?
(im sure the thought could not possibly have crossed your mind😂)

Given I come from the north and have family there, any northern visits will be in relation to that 😜 and particularly in the light of recent family loss.  My holiday vacation travel plans this year don’t include Europe or the north of UK but farther flung destinations.  All booked, but whether I make it to them is another matter.  🤷‍♀️

I was agreeing with camel regarding the low vaccination rates in Europe, in relation to uk with respect to the other comment about catching something over here.