4 hours ago, The Kid said:

Hi guys, looking for tips on a good cover for the back seat for carrying our new dog. 
Think I would prefer him where I can see him strapped into the back seat than in the boot. 
Cheers

I have an old beach towel on the seat and a dog bed (with a harness and a seat belt attachment)

7 hours ago, The Kid said:

Hi guys, looking for tips on a good cover for the back seat for carrying our new dog. 
Think I would prefer him where I can see him strapped into the back seat than in the boot. 
Cheers

How big a dog we talking? If it's a slobbery old chap I'd be sure to get one that's water resistant. 

In the States WeatherTech offers water repellent, machine washable seat covers with slits allowing belts to pass through to retain dogs.  I think they hook over the headrests, so they're easy to install and remove.  There's a size that fits Golf Rs.  WeatherTech products in general are of good quality.  Don't know if they market in the UK.  If not, you can check whether they ship overseas, or maybe there's a comparable vendor on your side of the Pond.