8R Quick Question and general chat thread

Booth11

2 hours ago, anglingnut said:

Anyone know where this grommet drains water from ?

it's on the bottom of my tailgate

image.png.29aa124fa416929f61ce3759f49237f7.png

So far as I know it’s the VW badge drain.  It hadn’t happened on yours yet but as these cars age, one thing to look out for is the end part of the rubber tube (as in your pic above) perishing.  This was/is a very common problem on the mk7 and I can imagine the same happening on the mk8.  I had to replace the drain tube on my mk7 as did many others.  

Not a mk8 but this thread is informative on that and the videos linked within it. 

@anglingnut  If it helps, this is mine (‘21 plate) and it has the same rubber seal contact mark on the bumper lip where drain tube end meets the bumper (my mk7 had same mark) but it does drain freely and I don’t have any bubbling of paint around the end of the drain tube grommet.  

IMG_4265.thumb.jpeg.c17e73c16059184784b58fad7ee5bbb8.jpeg

IMG_4264.thumb.jpeg.18382bdb546e935ef9ba4df089eafc19.jpeg

Does anyone here find that when they use race mode the car stays in 3rd gear for a long time?

Today I was doing just over 60 at one point and it still hadn't shifted to a higher gear and i've noticed it a few times before too.

19 hours ago, anglingnut said:

Anyone know where this grommet drains water from ?

it's on the bottom of my tailgate

image.png.29aa124fa416929f61ce3759f49237f7.png

Confirming this is the drain from the reversing camera/boot latch mechanism.

I replaced mine on my MK7R as the grommet had perished, it's a simple job. Looking at the damage, you might find that the tube has detached from the drain on the camera/boot latch.

J.

On 07/07/2024 at 21:56, Nes said:

Does anyone here find that when they use race mode the car stays in 3rd gear for a long time?

Today I was doing just over 60 at one point and it still hadn't shifted to a higher gear and i've noticed it a few times before too.

In race mode I expect it’ll hang on to all the gears for a while. Third will be good for well above 60. 

24 minutes ago, anglingnut said:

Update

Complete new tailgate being fitted (warranty) as the VW Approved coachworks / body shop stated they couldn't make an effective repair that would last.

That’s a good outcome.  Did they say exactly what had caused the corrosion?  Drain tube leak or malfunction?  

44 minutes ago, Blackpug said:

Where is the option code label in the 8R. Had a look in boot but couldn’t find it 

It was mentioned by @blizzard60 in another thread recently, that it’s located under the rear boot latch cover trim so difficult to see.  I’ve not looked myself. 

There should also be one on the inside of the user manual.  

57 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

It was mentioned by @blizzard60 in another thread recently, that it’s located under the rear boot latch cover trim so difficult to see.  I’ve not looked myself. 

There should also be one on the inside of the user manual.  

Thanks. There’s nothing in the user manual. I’ll have a look in boot tomorrow