Booth11

8R Quick Question thread

4 hours ago, Jagman said:

A quick question about the stop/start and the lane assist things.  Do you really have to disable them EVERY time you stop? Like filling up with petrol, getting out to take a photo, going to the supermarket etc.  If so that's a crashing bore. 

Unfortunately yes.  Let’s hope a coding workaround comes quickly.  

5 hours ago, Mottyc2gt said:

Has anyone with the new R covered decent miles yet? 

covered over 300 miles in 48 hours and it’s now asking for an oil change on dash, is this running in service or something? 

I know there has been a lot of posts about software updates on mk8 social media groups etc.. so wondering if this is really does need the service so soon. 

I’ve done 700 miles in mine and no oil change message.  Mine is currently set to Flexible service (Longlife every 2 years or 18k miles which is how they should come out of the factory) however I’ll be changing it to Fixed service (Time & Distance every 1 year/10k miles) the dealer will reset it when I take it in for its first service.  Hopefully it’s a simple reset for yours.  VW did used to offer a health check at around 1k miles but it was never set up on the service indicator.  

3 hours ago, JaseW said:

Haha I had a 4 year spell with two BMW's also trying to change the perception too but gave up and moved back to the Golf. haha

You mean back to VW where it’s accepted to indicate, in fact it’s expected! 😂

Well turns out ive no longer got this booked into Chester as my local convinent dealer as they have refused to do this citing "they can't / are not allowed" as the car was purchased through listers of startford upon avon.

quick ohone call to Volkswagen UK customer services... lets see if they agree with the comment "well you could just leave the warning on until the 20,000 mile service" 

yeah course....  as everyone wants to see that warning everytime they start their vehicle and for the next 19,625 miles.....  

dear me! love the car but is this what i should expect??

Can you not reset it yourself?

That’s what I did with my 7.5R the day before it was sold. It had only done 2000 miles since It was last changed so I manually reset it.

Vaguely remember that you press and hold the trip zeroing button for 6-10seconds and it asks reset oil service indicator, release-press-release trip zero button again and it tells you it’s reset, then if you continue to press it, then it gives you the option to reset the inspection service indicator too.

Don’t quote me that’s the exact way of doing but it’s Something along those lines.

Again not sure if the mk8 is the same as it may not have a physical zeroing button if it follows the theme of all other buttons being touch orientated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mottyc2gt said:

Well turns out ive no longer got this booked into Chester as my local convinent dealer as they have refused to do this citing "they can't / are not allowed" as the car was purchased through listers of startford upon avon.

quick ohone call to Volkswagen UK customer services... lets see if they agree with the comment "well you could just leave the warning on until the 20,000 mile service" 

yeah course....  as everyone wants to see that warning everytime they start their vehicle and for the next 19,625 miles.....  

What a load or rubbish.  If was a couple of days old used car, then I'd just about understand it, but it's a brand new car and if there's a problem with it you should be able to take it into any VW dealership.   I wouldn't use them when the actual time comes for it to be serviced.

1 hour ago, Mottyc2gt said:

Also, VW Chester is part of the Inchcape group.......... enough said really. 

Telford Inchcape are awful (except for the parts guy, who is quite helpful) and the customer reception/rep guy who worked there when I ordered my 7.5R (not from them i may add) was one of the rudest people I have ever met, he basically came to the conclusion without asking that I wasnt of the right social class/well off enough to be buying an R....... Thats the impression I got from his attitude towards me when I went in to enquire about one, dressed in Superdry Trackie bottoms, trainers and a hoody...... Little did he know I had £35k burning a hole in my pocket..... 

A quick call to VW UK to report him, a few days later Inchape HQ head honcho rang me personally and was disgusted with what was said and that she would personally look further into this..... She then updated me about 3 months later that they had sent in some 'secret shoppers' who some of them had reported a similar thing about him..... He no longer works there. 

I would not ever go there for anything other than parts, however, on the other hand Shrewsbury Inchcape have always been very helpful and didnt bat an eyelid servicing my 7.5 and carrying out some warranty investigations I wanted them doing either. Maybe try them, not too far away from Chester. 

53 minutes ago, JaseW said:

Can you not reset it yourself?

That’s what I did with my 7.5R the day before it was sold. It had only done 2000 miles since It was last changed so I manually reset it.

Vaguely remember that you press and hold the trip zeroing button for 6-10seconds and it asks reset oil service indicator, release-press-release trip zero button again and it tells you it’s reset, then if you continue to press it, then it gives you the option to reset the inspection service indicator too.

Don’t quote me that’s the exact way of doing but it’s Something along those lines.

Again not sure if the mk8 is the same as it may not have a physical zeroing button if it follows the theme of all other buttons being touch orientated

There isn’t a trip zero button Jase. 

If you go into Vehicle (from main menu) and the press the status ‘I’ button on left side bar and then tap Service it brings up the service details but nowhere to reset it. 

That all depends on whether the driver has the 'use an indicator' option fitted to their own brain..... Usually removed on Audi and BMW drivers  

Not just Audi and BMW

7 hours ago, JaseW said:

If you do manage to do this, please post up the results! I am also thinking of doing the same to mine as the Chrome on the 7.5 was a ballache to keep clean and was pitted to hell by the time I sold it last month. 

I’ve been looking online but can’t seem to find any trims to fit. gun metal grey would be my choice 

I’ve been looking online but can’t seem to find any trims to fit. gun metal grey would be my choice 

Have you thought about having the chrome ones de-chromed and powder coated?

Gunmetal grey..., good shout

1 hour ago, JaseW said:

Have you thought about having the chrome ones de-chromed and powder coated?

Gunmetal grey..., good shout

That’s a good idea actually 

1 minute ago, Wrex said:

That’s a good idea actually 

That's what I was planning... Once I find someone who can do it, or some decent photos of it already done so I know what it will look like. 

5 hours ago, Mottyc2gt said:

Good to know because Chester is my local VW dealer too and I've purchased my car via Listers in Nuneaton.

Sounds to me like this is  a PDI issue that Chester can't charge VW for correcting. So fobbing you off instead.... I bet they'd snap your arm off to perform the actual service work for you tho.

3 hours ago, Scudgie said:

Good to know because Chester is my local VW dealer too and I've purchased my car via Listers in Nuneaton.

Sounds to me like this is  a PDI issue that Chester can't charge VW for correcting. So fobbing you off instead.... I bet they'd snap your arm off to perform the actual service work for you tho.

this was exactly my point made to them.. well I’m no booked in to my Stockport dealer (where I live) for 10am next Thursday.

where despite being an inchape like Chester they are happy to support any owner of a Volkswagen, without prejudice to what dealer or was bought from..

Boiled my blood that before earlier though, defo not using Chester.