8R Quick Question thread

4 hours ago, Martin2 said:

It’s only been a couple of weeks and about 1,000 miles!  If my car started rattling that early, I’d reject it.....rattles drive me mad.

Yes indeed but I've had rattles in cars from new! 😞

And some of the so-called premium brands are some of the worse in my opinion (namely BMW and Merc). Or maybe I should've accepted the dealer excuse of "...what do you expect sir, your car has firm suspension....". :angry:😡

The wife has had a couple of new Fiestas and they have been rattle free.

Also I dont think they would allow a rejection of a car just for rattles. They want several attempts to put it right and its only a absolute last resort to allow a rejection of a car ......... has to be pretty well unfixable.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this was exactly my point made to them.. well I’m no booked in to my Stockport dealer (where I live) for 10am next Thursday.   where despite being an inchape like Chester they are happy to s

For some clarity on driving modes:   Comfort mode - all setting in Comfort, gearbox in Eco D Sport mode - settings in Sport, gearbox in D. Car defaults to this mode each start up.

7/7.5R Owners will call the lack of Warning Triangle penny pinching. 8 R Owners “weight saving” 😂

Posted Images

Another question ...... is it possible to download a user manual without the vin number? Only just ordered mine and I figure it will take me now until I receive it to work out how to use it. 😁

I might actually (need to) read the manual for this car. Lol

1 minute ago, dopper99 said:

Another question ...... is it possible to download a user manual without the vin number? Only just ordered mine and I figure it will take me now until I receive it to work out how to use it. 😁

I might actually (need to) read the manual for this car. Lol

I wouldn’t bother, the user manual is basic at best.  It won’t tell you the things you really want to know.  You need the actual car to get to grips with.  

8 hours ago, NRW said:

Remember the VW Ads when a Golf was dropped to the floor..

this USA Salesman’s more modern interpretation always creases me up....

Ahh the mk6 - the last well built solid golf....

My sister has my old mk6 and i still notice how every panel feels more solid (and is more solid as its twice as thick).

The interior quality is higher - you get crazy things like soft touch in the rear!.

The cabin is quieter, better noise insulation - thicker, acoustic glass, none of this soft as butter wafer thin crap you get now. 

It wasn't flawless of course but it is definitely more solid....when i got my 7.5 i noticed the considerable drop in quality of the body panels, paint quality and cabin quietness - along with all the piano black plastic in the 7/7.5 which creaks and squeaks when you press it - altho it's finally loosened up in mine so it's far less crackly and creaky.

Guess the mk8 is just the next evolutionary step in penny pinching and quality drop.

By the time they get to the mk10 the panels will dent in high winds and rain could wash the paint off..........and the boot will have a stick to keep it open :D

38 minutes ago, blower said:

.........and the boot will have a stick to keep it open :D

That’s called your arm. 😁

I agree though, my mk6 (and mk5s before it) felt like it was hewn from a solid lump. 

I think it’s best you never sit in a mk8 blower.  😂

1 hour ago, blower said:

Ahh the mk6 - the last well built solid golf...

100% Amen. 
As a wheelchair user I can testify to the far greater weight of hatch, bonnet and doors on. Mk6 vs a 7.5R Flexipanel😂

20 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Do the IQ light have covering lights? And do you need to set the high beam IQ light everytime or does it store the setting?

It does have cornering lights but they are not separate like the static cornering lights of the 7/7.5 but it uses the LEDs in the main beam as I understand it.  

The IQ you need to activate each time using the indicator stalk (one push away from you, like the previous High Beam Assist) and then you get the A headlight symbol on the dash, pull stalk towards you to deactivate.  

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

It does have cornering lights but they are not separate like the static cornering lights of the 7/7.5 but it uses the LEDs in the main beam as I understand it.  

The IQ you need to activate each time using the indicator stalk (one push away from you, like the previous High Beam Assist) and then you get the A headlight symbol on the dash, pull stalk towards you to deactivate.  

Thanks.

Do the cornering  lights work well? 

Doesn't it stay activated if you leave the stalk in the forward position?   My BMW had a button on the end of the stalk to switch the adaptive technology on/off, but it remembered the last setting and I think it was linked to the profile.  My current car has Pixel lights (horizontal and vertical version of Matrix) and they are in adaptive mode when the light switch is in auto, if you want something different you have to dig into the menu and select either off/high beam assist/adaptive.   Which doesn't sound great, but I can't think of a time when you wouldn't want them to be fully adaptive?

55 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Thanks.

Do the cornering  lights work well? 

I’ve not really paid much attention to them as yet as not done very much night driving yet, but on the night driving I have done so far (on some dark rural roads) I was impressed with the lights in general. I’ll have to pay closer attention next time.  

56 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

Doesn't it stay activated if you leave the stalk in the forward position?   My BMW had a button on the end of the stalk to switch the adaptive technology on/off, but it remembered the last setting and I think it was linked to the profile.  My current car has Pixel lights (horizontal and vertical version of Matrix) and they are in adaptive mode when the light switch is in auto, if you want something different you have to dig into the menu and select either off/high beam assist/adaptive.   Which doesn't sound great, but I can't think of a time when you wouldn't want them to be fully adaptive?

No, they reset at each restart of ignition.  If you dig into the menus you can turn off things like Dynamic Light Assist if you want.  With the lighter nights I’ve not had much chance to really observe the lights much - roll on winter!  😁

Yes!  I forgot to mention that, the  lights need to be set to Auto for the IQ setting to function @Wrex

8 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

I’ve not really paid much attention to them as yet as not done very much night driving yet, but on the night driving I have done so far (on some dark rural roads) I was impressed with the lights in general. I’ll have to pay closer attention next time.  

I doubt it will use the cornering lights other than at low speed, as the matrix lights will give a wide spread of light and I assume they move left to right when you turn as well as maximising the main beam.  It’s great tech when done well, transforms night time and winter driving.

6 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

I doubt it will use the cornering lights other than at low speed, as the matrix lights will give a wide spread of light and I assume they move left to right when you turn as well as maximising the main beam.  It’s great tech when done well, transforms night time and winter driving.

Yes cornering lights are most used and noticeable at slow speeds when turning the steering into junctions, or say pulling into my driveway etc.  Assume the matrix lights offer bend lighting a bit like the old Dynamic cornering lights.  I’m looking forward to some proper driving in the dark as the nights close in in a few months.  

I just like them at tight junctions. They’re really handy