On 04/04/2021 at 22:24, Blackpug said:

Very nice.  How are you finding the Bridgestones?

thanks mate.

Not had much chance to test them yet despite my best efforts. I have read a few reviews and thinking they’re ok but I am huge fan of pilot sports and will get them on at some point. Just can’t justify the money right now to do a full swap. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would post some pics of my new R. As most of you know it’s a lease car supplied by Tim Hayes at VW Stockport. Fantastic service as usual.    Despite it being a lease I look after them

Picked it up from the JR Automotive today who have done an amazing job with the car. Think it looks absolutely amazing 😍  

Some of the pics the detailer took of the car  

30 minutes ago, Mottyc2gt said:

Darlo are you a stockport based member? 

May see you out and about... make sure its in race mode 😄

Yeah I can often be seen around and about in Stockport 😃👍

Live in the hills of saddleworth 👀 now thanks to the Mrs but I’m a south Manchester lad. 

Quick update. Finding it frustrating as other than the drive to work and his nursery trips I have had little reason to drive it 😂

229 miles so far. Average 20.3mpg. So is creeping up given I haven’t done any long runs. 

I have a nice run out tomorrow so looking forward to putting some miles on it. Got a few nights away in the lakes and York coming up next month (all being well🤞) so will be at the magical 1000 miles soon enough. 

Another quick update. 350miles in now and mpg still creeping up, 21.6mpg. Still absolutely loving it. Not real complaints other the annoying lane assist and a journey where I could only select R driving mode (worst modes to be in ha ha). Obviously a few gremlins knocking about that an update will sort. Used google maps today and it was nice that the map was on main screen but prompts for directions appeared on the main display. 

I am still trying to run it in but I have strayed beyond the 4K a few times once everything is warm..... it’s quick! 

Tyres are as expected but stuck with them for now. 

Still not seen another in the road and it’s still getting plenty of attention. Thumbs up, nods an alike.

Seeing @Booth11 pics have me the need to wash it. A quick job... just snow foam, wash and dry and it’s come up amazing. A few pics taken post wash. I wanted to treat it to some spray wax but I have a table booked at my local with a couple of mates so that is taking priority 🙌🏻😂

13-DEC272-0-A91-40-BA-BD97-F978-A4427-F6
4531-DEAC-D451-4650-938-B-1-BC6501-CE178
AB5-AB486-FEE9-4-D1-A-826-A-10-CDDB8-E1-
460-ABD34-7-A4-A-41-E7-B59-A-13-DA3649-B
BA7-EACFF-2491-4652-AF7-C-4-E843-BBD490-
408-A7-C70-072-B-436-E-8-AD8-CCCA5-A7-EF
E07-B5130-C160-4804-90-BD-2-C51-D50575-E

Great update and pics!  Commented in the other thread but absolutely gorgeous.  The colour really sings in sunlight.  

I love your optimism that a software update will rid the system of gremlins. 😁

They do attract attention out on the road.  Mine seems particularly popular with blokes in high viz jackets doing roadworks.  😂

But.......sod topping up the wax, get down the pub with your mates! 😁   Yet to hit the pub myself (coming soon) but first outing tomorrow (day off) is out for a fry up breakfast!  Can’t wait!  

Enjoy the car and the beer Darlo!  

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally had my first decent run in the R. 160 mile round trip I total. Covered some rural roads but the majority was motorway. 

I have to be totally honest... it was a good run so I figured everything was up to temp and it had 600 miles on so the brakes and tyres were all good so I decided to enjoy myself 😃.

For those that know it the first part of the journey was the run from Delph, up through Denshaw to the M62. A great stretched of road but the surface is poor and it was wet. I wasn’t giving it 100% at this point but it took it all in its stride. I would be interested to drive an R with DCC on the same road to see how it dealt with the bumps. The wet conditions gave no cause for concern given this things GRIPS!

Then onto the motorway, I gave it the beans up the slip road on to the M62. All I will say I was surprised at the speed it gained in this short space of time up hill.

Then on to the motorway. I never really speed on the motorway. I set the ACC 70mph, a system I have mastered now and it works perfectly. Played with various views including the radar view which highlights what the car is looking at and basing its decisions on. A quick press of the throttle in sport mode provided adequate pick up for overtakes etc.

It is incredibly comfortable on the motorway. I like the blind spot alerts in the mirrors but would prefer it to be a different colour to orange as for a split second I mistake them for indicators. 

The standard stereo continues to impress me alongside the brilliant apple CarPlay. Although for one song it wouldn’t let me put the volume above 2/3’s. I turned the stereo on and off and it fixed it. 

Now to the fun bit... I came off junction 50 off the A1 towards Ripon. I have never driven these road before. Weather was dry and the surface was great. What a car this is. I left it in standard esc and to be honest I clearly wasn’t pushing hard enough as the traction light didn’t come on once.... despite the Bridgestones. 

I was smiling from ear to ear. I drove the car hard, I don’t know if it was luck or good judgement but I avoided the auto up shifts. It sounded half decent (all the rear seats were down and no parcel shelf in). I was enjoying myself that much I extended the route to my final destination. It grips brilliantly and you can feel the power being pushed to each respective wheel that requires it. Overtakes were effortless..... very easy to get to silly speeds. The pull above 4.5k revs really is impressive as it feels quite lazy below that. 

Despite this enthusiastic driving I still failed to press any buttons on the steering wheel 😂. The seats are absolutely fantastic and extremely comfy and supportive. 

I arrived at my destination... to collect a large ride on tractor and trailer for my son. Much bigger than I expected but it fit with mm’s to spare (nearly wished I had my 7.5r estate back 😂). 

Suppose this shows why the golf ticks a lot of boxes... one minute you’re driving like hooligan then next you have the rear seats down and putting  a load of crap in the boot. 

The return journey was more boring as despite wrapping to all up to avoid damage to my interior I didn’t want to cause any damage driving too quick. 

I now have 750 miles on the clock. The review on Harry’s garage made a lot of sense based on this journey, to get the best out of this car you’re going quickly but it is immensely fun and rewarding. But it feels like a normal every day golf when needed. No unwanted rattles or squeaks. 

The only thing that annoys me is the view changing when putting it in R mode and failing to return to the previous view when you go back the previous mode (although I am sure sometimes it does revert 🤷🏻‍♂️). Also concerning was my iPhone 12 was sat in the wireless charging pad. I picked it up and it was red hot with the warning on the screen. Never used a wireless charger with my phone so don’t know if this is normal?

The mpg was lower than I expected BUT there was a fair bit of ground covered whilst being driven hard so probably take a fair chunk off. 

26661-CF1-EF00-4-C73-9-D4-B-08437780-D64

Sounds a great trip Darlo but I’m so disappointed you didn’t manage to accidentally knock the steering wheel buttons! Come on, you must try harder!  😂

The car definitely has a point at which it engages the go button and it’s off into oblivion!  I love the way it’s just a Golf being all Golf one minute and a the next your’re putting your teeth back in.  

I’ve not noticed my phone getting hot on the charging pad.  My phone (iPhone 11 Pro max) pretty much lives on that charging pad but it’s always normal temp when I pick it up.  I’ve not had it with the other wireless charger I’ve used in the house.  

Hope your lad liked his own little 4WD too.  

3 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Great review @Darlo 👍

So it's safe to say you prefer it to your 7.5? 🙂

I loved my 7.5 but I was ready for a change and was seriously tempted by some other manufacturers. The 8 is different enough from the 7.5 to keep me interested but still has the familiarity of what is still a fantastic car 👌🏻

But in short yes I do prefer it 😂 

7 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Sounds a great trip Darlo but I’m so disappointed you didn’t manage to accidentally knock the steering wheel buttons! Come on, you must try harder!  😂

The car definitely has a point at which it engages the go button and it’s off into oblivion!  I love the way it’s just a Golf being all Golf one minute and a the next your’re putting your teeth back in.  

I’ve not noticed my phone getting hot on the charging pad.  My phone (iPhone 11 Pro max) pretty much lives on that charging pad but it’s always normal temp when I pick it up.  I’ve not had it with the other wireless charger I’ve used in the house.  

Hope your lad liked his own little 4WD too.  

Yep I know what you mean.... above 4K or so it really pulls! 

need to keep and eye on this charging pad thing then. I will charge my work phone on it and see if that does the same. 

ha ha yeah, he is obsessed with tractors and trailers (live opposite a farm so I assume this is why) so it was a must have for his birthday in a couple of weeks. He can leave his electric merc in the garage for weekends now 😂😂😂