Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 29/05/2021 at 11:06, Darlo said:


Yes it definitely appears lower but the pics from the lakes the car was fully loaded so probably sitting slightly lower. I did look at it and thing a little drop would really suit it 😃.

 

As for the A35. I am a HUGE fan. Like any hot hatch and I include the 8R in that, it isn’t perfect. Here are some of the negatives for those the are interested when comparing it the R;

 

- Very firm ride, even on the 18’s (no dcc on this). A lot Firmer than my none dcc R on 19’s. 

- sits very low, to the point they struggled to get lift under skirts at Costco to change tyres. Our drive is on a slope so believe it or not.... I have to get out at the top otherwise the exhaust mount catches. I call it the walk of shame 😂😂😂

- seats are not supportive enough. The R seats are amazing in comparison. 

- rubbish on fuel (maybe her driving). Think it’s sitting at 20mpg at the min. 

- annoys me that the CarPlay displays in lower resolution despite having it big screens (displays at smaller screen size that you get without premium pack if that makes sense). Wireless CarPlay in the R is brilliant. 

- could be easily confused with normal A class unless you have aero pack. We couldn’t afford premium and aero. So went with premium as the interior is nicer and has more toys. But nice wolf in sheep’s clothing. 
- infotainment system can be frustrating to use, more so than the 8R. Can’t believe reviewers don’t pick up on this.

- hate the stalk gear selector. 

- heated seats are rubbish... but I don’t have them in my R so can’t compare 🤣.

- merc customer services and servicing costs. Twice that of the R. 
 

Positives

 

- makes you want to drive it like it’s stolen all the time. Huge sense of fun although some may view this as a negative. The R can be just a normal golf when it wants

- sounds brilliant now exhaust have bedded in. I hope the R continues to improve but can’t see it being as good as the A35. 

- upgraded stereo is mega. Better than the b&o I had in my S3 and obviously not as good as standard R stereo. That still performs ok. 

- better quality finish interior than the R and probably slightly better than the m135i I tested

- loud start up option.... sad but great.

- handles very well. Very little body roll. I believe AMG had some input on the chassis and it differs from normal A classes. But it doesn’t have the endless grip the R seems to have despite that having more roll. 
 

The wife is lucky to have spent a lot of time in all the main hot hatches over the last 12 years or so and covered a lot of miles in them due to her work. Her favourite has been the 7.5R. Although in think the A35 has taken its place now. She is yet to drive mine. Now it’s run in we may swap for a week and see what she thinks. 
 

I certainly won’t be disappointed about spending a week in the merc..... its soooooo much fun!! 

 


More roll?

Nothing a good rear ARB would sort and perhaps some Racingline progressive springs. The GTI at Awesome had these fitted. Looked really aggressive and really is a nice handling upgrade.

Have you got DCC?

 

Im just biding my time but I expect to definitely change my 7  in near future.

May wait for 8.5 who knows. 
Just waiting to see figures on new RS3 which with options no doubt will be very expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would post some pics of my new R. As most of you know it’s a lease car supplied by Tim Hayes at VW Stockport. Fantastic service as usual.    Despite it being a lease I look after them

Picked it up from the JR Automotive today who have done an amazing job with the car. Think it looks absolutely amazing 😍  

Some of the pics the detailer took of the car  

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Msportman said:


More roll?

Nothing a good rear ARB would sort and perhaps some Racingline progressive springs. The GTI at Awesome had these fitted. Looked really aggressive and really is a nice handling upgrade.

Have you got DCC?

 

Im just biding my time but I expect to definitely change my 7  in near future.

May wait for 8.5 who knows. 
Just waiting to see figures on new RS3 which with options no doubt will be very expensive.


mine is a lease spec 😂so no dcc for me. I would imagine dcc would help in this department. I’m talking fine lines here, the merc seems to stay slightly flatter in the bends. Just seems stiffer if that makes sense. I would love to lower it but your on a sticky wicket modding a lease car. A tuning box is easy to remove but springs not so much. 
 

The way the R grips blows my mind. There are series of roundabouts on my way to work. I keep pushing to see where the limit is. It just hangs on. It’s phenomenal. My 7.5R couldn’t have done it, nor could the A35. 
 

The RS3 would be amazing if you can afford it. Always been a dream of mine to get one. Came close to getting a second hand one a couple of times. I did suggest to the Mrs get a new Rs3 and a crappy run to make it work financially. She pointed out the domestics that would happen over the fight for the keys 😂.

 

Just over two years to go on the A35… I can honestly see a two R driveway in the future. It nearly happen once before when she was torn between the merc and an R. The only reason it didn’t happen was the mk8 was round the corner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Darlo said:


mine is a lease spec 😂so no dcc for me. I would imagine dcc would help in this department. I’m talking fine lines here, the merc seems to stay slightly flatter in the bends. Just seems stiffer if that makes sense. I would love to lower it but your on a sticky wicket modding a lease car. A tuning box is easy to remove but springs not so much. 
 

The way the R grips blows my mind. There are series of roundabouts on my way to work. I keep pushing to see where the limit is. It just hangs on. It’s phenomenal. My 7.5R couldn’t have done it, nor could the A35. 
 

The RS3 would be amazing if you can afford it. Always been a dream of mine to get one. Came close to getting a second hand one a couple of times. I did suggest to the Mrs get a new Rs3 and a crappy run to make it work financially. She pointed out the domestics that would happen over the fight for the keys 😂.

 

Just over two years to go on the A35… I can honestly see a two R driveway in the future. It nearly happen once before when she was torn between the merc and an R. The only reason it didn’t happen was the mk8 was round the corner. 

 

Interesting read with regards the grip ...... especially as I noticed from your pics you have Bridgestones? Maybe (as mentioned in other threads) the S005's are not so bad after all. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Darlo said:


mine is a lease spec 😂so no dcc for me. I would imagine dcc would help in this department. I’m talking fine lines here, the merc seems to stay slightly flatter in the bends. Just seems stiffer if that makes sense. I would love to lower it but your on a sticky wicket modding a lease car. A tuning box is easy to remove but springs not so much. 
 

The way the R grips blows my mind. There are series of roundabouts on my way to work. I keep pushing to see where the limit is. It just hangs on. It’s phenomenal. My 7.5R couldn’t have done it, nor could the A35. 
 

The RS3 would be amazing if you can afford it. Always been a dream of mine to get one. Came close to getting a second hand one a couple of times. I did suggest to the Mrs get a new Rs3 and a crappy run to make it work financially. She pointed out the domestics that would happen over the fight for the keys 😂.

 

Just over two years to go on the A35… I can honestly see a two R driveway in the future. It nearly happen once before when she was torn between the merc and an R. The only reason it didn’t happen was the mk8 was round the corner. 

Unfortunately my missus drives her Q5 and loves the Audi interior and high commanding view.

She likes my R but doesn’t agree with PCP’s and the fact that cars are so expensive she has other priorities on spending our money namely house improvements this year.😂

Still if I buy an RS3 it will take some convincing because of the monthlies will no doubt be high. I don’t owe anything on cars right now and as you get into your 50’s you don’t want big car debt so I’d rather buy used now ie a 12 month old car and get a discount. Won’t happen now following my conversation I had with my local dealer and lack of new stock because of the silicone chip issue across the whole car sector hence used values going up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

 

Interesting read with regards the grip ...... especially as I noticed from your pics you have Bridgestones? Maybe (as mentioned in other threads) the S005's are not so bad after all. 🙂


yeah I mentioned on the tyre thread… I am more than happy with the bridgestones mate. Would happily have them again without a second thought 👍

 

my decision will be based purely on what offer is on at Costco at the time as they tend to swap between Michelin and bridgestones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2021 at 09:43, Msportman said:


More roll?

Nothing a good rear ARB would sort and perhaps some Racingline progressive springs. The GTI at Awesome had these fitted. Looked really aggressive and really is a nice handling upgrade.

Have you got DCC?

 

Im just biding my time but I expect to definitely change my 7  in near future.

May wait for 8.5 who knows. 
Just waiting to see figures on new RS3 which with options no doubt will be very expensive.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Mr Wizard, he just can't stop having an unnecessary and meaningless pop at the R.

I think he was probably bullied as a kid by the bigger boys and he's never got over it.


Yes I find his reviews slightly unbalanced. If the R isn’t for you that’s fine but to mention it in such a negative way on a regular basis i find strange. Especially when it’s so well reviewed by the vast majority of journo’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Mr Wizard, he just can't stop having an unnecessary and meaningless pop at the R.

I think he was probably bullied as a kid by the bigger boys and he's never got over it.


Yes I find his reviews slightly unbalanced. If the R isn’t for you that’s fine but to mention it in such a negative way on a regular basis i find strange. Especially when it’s so well reviewed by the vast majority of journo’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2021 at 09:00, Darlo said:


Yes I find his reviews slightly unbalanced. If the R isn’t for you that’s fine but to mention it in such a negative way on a regular basis i find strange. Especially when it’s so well reviewed by the vast majority of journo’s. 

I think he does it to wind everybody up on here especially as he knows it’s the only real dedicated forum for Golf R owners.


Mind you I did not the recent track battle by Auto Express R v Clubsport v Type R and they rated the Clubsport on a dry track. I’m sure is brilliant everywhere else as a road car but with our crappy climate the R just makes more sense deploying all of the torque without fuss. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...