7R to 8R , Is it worth it and WHY ???

So before  i start ,  i can't afford one having been off work a lot during this pandemic being a barber by trade but thought it would be interesting as to why people change cars when not a lot has changed or has it and i'm missing something, you tell  me !

Before i got my 7R  i had a Mk5 GTI and loved it, had it mapped to 240 BHP and thought it went like stink , first DSG gearbox and loved that to, I paid £36k for the R and got £6k for the GTI, was the R £30k better , not really tbh, both do the same job, practical hot hatch, possibly more fun in a lighter GTI form and no four wheel drive but saying that, the tech and more modern looks of the 7 is a step up from the 5  without question, but £30K . Hmmm not sure, thats a lot of money .

Anyway , back on topic, there are many that have ordered the new 8r and good luck to those and hope you enjoy them , the reviews and videos i have seen on Youtube all say it's a better car than the 7 .

So if i was to get a similar  high spec 8R to my 7r it would be costing nearly £50k , saying i would get £15k px against mine , is it £35 k better ?

I know this is all  irrelevant and only my opinion but again , thats a lot of money  to change when i have a 7 year old car with 45000 miles  so even if i had the money i wouldn't do it  at my age now 52.

Anyway , interested to hear your thoughts and reasons for changing , is it mileage, new PCP deal, lease , prefer the look of the new one, you tell me , love to hear your thoughts 

Daz

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's impossible to say whether it's worth it to anyone else, or to put a value on it to anyone else, I think can only speak for ourselves.   For me, yes it was worth it.  But then I made the

I like to change my cars when I’m either bored or fed up the car or want ta substantial  upgrade in performance or handling. At the moment none of those criteria are fulfilled. Trouble with both

I looked at the 8R and wondered exactly the same as some on here.  I have what I consider to be the best model out of the 7/7.5 Golfs and that is an 18 reg 7.5R pre OPF and a highly specced one at t

Posted Images

Am I allowed to sit on the fence?

I’m sticking with my Mk7 hearse for the time being. It’s clocked 23k in 5 years and I’m not sure £40k on another car sitting in the garage for the majority of the time would be a sensible move.
On the other hand the tech and engineering has moved the Mk8 on so much more and there is an itch which will be scratched at some point.
Which every way you look, the golden age of the ICE is now with VW now saying that it will not develop anymore ICE’s.

7 minutes ago, 75Type2 said:

Am I allowed to sit on the fence?

I’m sticking with my Mk7 hearse for the time being. It’s clocked 23k in 5 years and I’m not sure £40k on another car sitting in the garage for the majority of the time would be a sensible move.
On the other hand the tech and engineering has moved the Mk8 on so much more and there is an itch which will be scratched at some point.
Which every way you look, the golden age of the ICE is now with VW now saying that it will not develop anymore ICE’s.

There is no right or wrong here, just interesting as to why, can they justify it , heart vs head , only gotta justify it to themselves, it's their business , whatever , just thought it would  be interesting.

It's impossible to say whether it's worth it to anyone else, or to put a value on it to anyone else, I think can only speak for ourselves.

For me, yes it was worth it.  But then I made the move from a 5.5 year old mk7R.  In brief, my reasons for changing were that it was time.  It was a head and heart decision.  Head, in that I wanted to move to a new car whilst there was still some reasonable value left in my mk7 to off-set the cost of the new car (cash buyer with DTD discounts etc); Heart because I decided to go for the 8R but spec it highly as I always get value and enjoyment out of the extras I spec and I spec a car for me, not for the next owner. The base cost of the 8R is high as we all know and for some things that are standard on even it's stablemates, but for me personally I wanted it to be different enough to my previous R to feel like a proper move without going for an alternative marque, as performance Golfs just do it for me.  

From a mk7R to a mk8R is a sizeable jump I feel.  The reveiws (with respect to the chassis, drivetrain, handling, steering, brakes etc) is accurate imo.  In those respects it is a better car.  The tech I personally like very much and though some dip in quality of interior trim materials, the seats are much improved and much much more comfortable, and though the dash and cabin architecture is more minimal, it's a more streamlined modern feel which is of its time and makes the car interior wise feel a relevant step forward.  Looking back I now feel that the Mk7 was dated although you don't acknowledge that so much until you got something to compare it with.  I still love those old analogue dials and the classic germanic no fuss dash, but by comparison it's definitely dated in my view.  The exterior looks are less cut and dried, all depends what you like.  Mk7 to me will always be a high point in Golf exterior design but the 8R is so much sportier and aggressive looking, front, sides and rear, and again fits the time.   

The car feels a lot more lively stock (so imagine how it might be mapped) and throttle response, particularly that initial throttle response is much much improved.  I'm still unsure whether a pedal box will be of benefit, if anything I'd say it's not the first inch of pedal travel that needs it but just after that, where there is a minor lag, and then it's off, whoosh!  It's a combination of DSG and pedal lag I think.  If a pedal box addressed that second half inch of pedal travel then I think that would be good. I guess there's only one way to find out!  So I might get one as a guinea pig.  

The DSG I find much more usable in town driving with it in S mode.  It's changing up to 3rd now around when I would myself (maybe just a hair's breadth later) but a little throttle modulation it upshifts more readily than the old 6sp box.  In some scenarios I've found the 7sp box a tad jerkier but overall I think it's an improvement.  Paddles are much better to use over the mk7 oem (although most paddle users changed then anyway including me) and it’s only with the DSG in S that manual stays manual (unless you voluntarily switch it off).  D defaults back to auto, which is fine as never used paddles in D anyway.  

The whole car has a lot more engagement feel and better feedback.  Despite the variety of drag race youtube vids which have a tendency to pigeonhole this as a one-trick pony car, we all know that's crap.  It's does everything you want it to do, and this time you feel much more a part of it.  You feel more through the handling, the steering, the torque vectoring, it all adds up to a more engaged experience, sometime a little surprisingly!  Sometimes on certain roads it's come as a unexpected that you are feeling the car shift the power, whereas the feeling in the mk7 was masked to a degree.  It's a learning curve getting used to that engagement in some ways but a very welcome one. 

The engine sound is a lower affair, the engine feels a lot smoother to me over the mk7 but not in a numb way.  It's just different.  The Akra can be tame and civilised round town and pretty vocal out on some proper roads,  Best of both for me.  A slight slight drone on motorway at national speeds but I'll take that for it's other attributes. 

The tech I love.  I know it's not the universally acceptable view but I'm well integrated with the haptic buttons, slider controls and responsive touch screen.  As with all tech it has it's foibles, just this morning my driver heated seat icon went awol from the screen, but a quick hard reset of the infotainment system soon brought it back.  Apart from two occasions where the screen was laggy that's the only issue I've experienced so far.  In and ideal world no gremlin would exist but they do, and buttons and levers of old were not without issues.     

I have absolutely no regrets moving from the mk7R to the mk8R and in fact am so pleased I have.  I'd not swap back now even if you paid me £35k. 😁

Of course these cars don't actually cost £50k if you seek out the best discounts and contributions and if you maximise the sale of your mk7 by privately selling  if you can do that.   More like £26-30k extra. 

It's impossible to say whether it's worth it to anyone else, or to put a value on it to anyone else, I think can only speak for ourselves.

For me, yes it was worth it.  But then I made the move from a 5.5 year old mk7R.  In brief, my reasons for changing were that it was time.  It was a head and heart decision.  Head, in that I wanted to move to a new car whilst there was still some reasonable value left in my mk7 to off-set the cost of the new car (cash buyer with DTD discounts etc); Heart because I decided to go for the 8R but spec it highly as I always get value and enjoyment out of the extras I spec and I spec a car for me, not for the next owner. The base cost of the 8R is high as we all know and for some things that are standard on even it's stablemates, but for me personally I wanted it to be different enough to my previous R to feel like a proper move without going for an alternative marque, as performance Golfs just do it for me.  

From a mk7R to a mk8R is a sizeable jump I feel.  The reveiws (with respect to the chassis, drivetrain, handling, steering, brakes etc) is accurate imo.  In those respects it is a better car.  The tech I personally like very much and though some dip in quality of interior trim materials, the seats are much improved and much much more comfortable, and though the dash and cabin architecture is more minimal, it's a more streamlined modern feel which is of its time and makes the car interior wise feel a relevant step forward.  Looking back I now feel that the Mk7 was dated although you don't acknowledge that so much until you got something to compare it with.  I still love those old analogue dials and the classic germanic no fuss dash, but by comparison it's definitely dated in my view.  The exterior looks are less cut and dried, all depends what you like.  Mk7 to me will always be a high point in Golf exterior design but the 8R is so much sportier and aggressive looking, front, sides and rear, and again fits the time.   

The car feels a lot more lively stock (so imagine how it might be mapped) and throttle response, particularly that initial throttle response is much much improved.  I'm still unsure whether a pedal box will be of benefit, if anything I'd say it's not the first inch of pedal travel that needs it but just after that, where there is a minor lag, and then it's off, whoosh!  It's a combination of DSG and pedal lag I think.  If a pedal box addressed that second half inch of pedal travel then I think that would be good. I guess there's only one way to find out!  So I might get one as a guinea pig.  

The DSG I find much more usable in town driving with it in S mode.  It's changing up to 3rd now around when I would myself (maybe just a hair's breadth later) but a little throttle modulation it upshifts more readily than the old 6sp box.  In some scenarios I've found the 7sp box a tad jerkier but overall I think it's an improvement. 

The whole car has a lot more engagement feel and better feedback.  Despite the variety of drag race youtube vids which have a tendency to pigeonhole this as a one-trick pony car, we all know that's crap.  It's does everything you want it to do, and this time you feel much more a part of it.  You feel more through the handling, the steering, the torque vectoring, it all adds up to a more engaged experience, sometime a little surprisingly!  Sometimes on certain roads it's come as a unexpected that you are feeling the car shift the power, whereas the feeling in the mk7 was masked to a degree.  It's a learning curve getting used to that engagement in some ways but a very welcome one. 

The engine sound is a lower affair, the engine feels a lot smoother to me over the mk7 but not in a numb way.  It's just different.  The Akra can be tame and civilised round town and pretty vocal out on some proper roads,  Best of both for me.  A slight slight drone on motorway at national speeds but I'll take that for it's other attributes. 

The tech I love.  I know it's not the universally acceptable view but I'm well integrated with the haptic buttons, slider controls and responsive touch screen.  As with all tech it has it's foibles, just this morning my driver heated seat icon went awol from the screen, but a quick hard reset of the infotainment system soon brought it back.  Apart from two occasions where the screen was laggy that's the only issue I've experienced so far.  In and ideal world no gremlin would exist but they do, and buttons and levers of old were not without issues.     

I have absolutely no regrets moving from the mk7R to the mk8R and in fact am so pleased I have.  I'd not swap back now even if you paid me £35k. 

Of course these cars don't actually cost £50k if you seek out the best discounts and contributions and if you maximise the sale of your mk7 by privately selling  if you can do that.   More like £26-30k extra. 

I think the step forward in tech - isn’t. You say that the heated seat ICON() disappeared so you did a hard reset and the screen has been a bit laggy yet you’ve only had the car a few weeks. I’ve not once had any infotainment gremlins with my mk7 and to me, it’s less hassle just to press a button on my dash for heated seats. Other people have had the heated steering come on by accident and EVO had gremlins with their test car for over two hours so they couldn’t change the interior temperature and couldn’t turn off the lane assist - if my infotainment system goes wrong, I can still change the temperature, fans etc. I’ve just read a review of an owner of their mk8 (not an R but still has touchscreen etc) and they’ve got rid of it because it was so frustrating. I don’t doubt that dynamically, the chassis and engineering of the car itself is great but for me, as an everyday car, could I live with these glitches and annoying foibles? I’m not so sure. It’s telling that Honda went back to buttons and dials after listening to its customer’s comments on touchscreens etc. I’m just waiting for someone to crash their car whilst fiddling with that screen. I think it will happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

less justification to a run out MK 7.5 than there is from a MK 7 as I found the MK 7.5 a substantial uplift from the MK 7 in terms of driver comforts and, all the little face-lift add-on, do genuinely add, especially the improved media unit and the drivers display

The interior all touch tech is something have to experience to really judge but even in the MK 7.5 tend to select the phone as half look at road and try to select media or radio. - MK 7.5 is the somewhere in between with touch and dials and for me is just about the perfect balance between new and old (knobs/dials)  

Not contesting the improved drive in the MK 8, its well documented now, but the MK 7 series was hardly seen as shabby and not for a second do feel that missing out, especially as its highly unlikely to ever be driving to limits the differences are really felt. My TCR is going to be a keeper for many reasons and none to do with the MK 8 performance as think now the extras have been bolted on the CS and the R (performance pack) they are desirable packages, but at the cost to uplift from a MK 7.5 I think I would pass till the point had to IE: lease was up.  

1 hour ago, camelsac2002 said:

I think the step forward in tech - isn’t. You say that the heated seat ICON(emoji848.png) disappeared so you did a hard reset and the screen has been a bit laggy yet you’ve only had the car a few weeks. I’ve not once had any infotainment gremlins with my mk7 and to me, it’s less hassle just to press a button on my dash for heated seats. Other people have had the heated steering come on by accident and EVO had gremlins with their test car for over two hours so they couldn’t change the interior temperature and couldn’t turn off the lane assist - if my infotainment system goes wrong, I can still change the temperature, fans etc. I’ve just read a review of an owner of their mk8 (not an R but still has touchscreen etc) and they’ve got rid of it because it was so frustrating. I don’t doubt that dynamically, the chassis and engineering of the car itself is great but for me, as an everyday car, could I live with these glitches and annoying foibles? I’m not so sure. It’s telling that Honda went back to buttons and dials after listening to its customer’s comments on touchscreens etc. I’m just waiting for someone to crash their car whilst fiddling with that screen. I think it will happen.

All fair points Camel and everyone’s experience might differ.  I can only speak from my own experience so far (although other forum members who now have the car have commented on the tech in other threads) and I don’t consider the minor (to me) glitches) I’ve had so far to be a reason not to have the car, or to get rid, or a step back.  Maybe I’m lucky or maybe it’s partly that the latest software and hardware is improved over the earlier versions, sounds like it from what I’ve read so far.  And maybe you were lucky with your glitch free Mk7 because mine had its fair share of gremlins and doing a hard reset on that was quite a regular thing at least up till it got a software update at one of the services.  It’s easy to look at new things through rose tinted glasses for sure, but it’s equally easy to overlook some of the mk7 things that weren’t perfect.  Noisy suspension, creaking steering, rattles, squeaks, coolant failures.....etc. Now these may still present themselves at some point in a mk8 but they were well known issues on the mk7, so wasn’t all joy all the time.  

Whether or not VW will reintroduce some buttons of old who can say, but from my limited 530 miles in my particular 8R I’m more than happy with the setup, even with the odd tech strop.  On a lighter note, I can’t say I was very upset by the heated seat icon not showing up for 30 seconds as the sun had nicely warmed the seat.  😁  I was much more impressed with the fact the car seems to know which seat ventilation icon to show depending on the outside temp.  Perhaps it hadn’t quite decided which early this morning.  However, later in the morning when I went out on a work trip, it knew it’s was very warm out and it loaded the seat aircon icon in place of the heated icon, the later which it’s been bringing up in the colder mornings.  I’m not talking about a full climate screen menu here, just the little shortcut icons displayed in the side bar for quick access. So it knew that seats needed the cooling option so offered that, and not the seat heating option.  In other words it more than redeemed itself from this mornings momentary fail!  

I’d suggest the heated steering wheel coming on by accident was not necessarily a glitch but just accidental knocking of the button.  I’ve not done that yet but can see how you might depending on how you move your hands around.  There’s certainly scope for it with either side of the steering wheel controls.  But it’s not a major safety issue is it accidentally getting warm hands.  

I’m sure you’ll be the first to post it up if someone does crash whilst driving (it goes without saying I hope that never happens), but you know what, you can do that in any car if your concentration is averted, be it with a touchscreen, slider, haptic, standard button or a dial, for example fishing around by touch for the driver mode button on the wrong side of the gearstick in the mk7, not ideal. 

Cant' see that I'll be changing any time soon, but in fairness I haven't had the 7.5 very long. The plan was always to get a 'project car' and tear it to pieces and currently there are far more options for modifying  a 7.5 than an 8. 

Its my daily driver to work and local use car but for anything longer I'll almost certainly use the camper van on account of the amount of gear we tend to drag around with us (climbers) and the fact that it literally has the kitchen sink in the back 😉

This may very well be the end of the road for me until *shudder* electric vehicles take over. So I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

1 hour ago, Martin2 said:

Just make sure you've got adaptive cruise and lane assist on when you need to change the temperature or put the heated seats on and you'll be safe enough! 

In a contest between Lane Assist and Heated seats, I’ll take the latter any day of the week. 😜  I’d rather have an unexpectedly toasty derrière than get rammed into a parked car.  

If money was no object I’d probably buy one. Looks to me a big leap in technology and performance.

The 7.5 and don’t see the big difference and why people went crazy for it. It’s a face lift car with digital display IMO.

I’ll probably keep hold of my R for another 3 years and then see what used prices are like. Never seen the point in buying brand new. I let someone buy it new and take the big hit in depreciation and then buy when it’s 3 or more years old. Then I just hammer the warranty getting stuff done at no cost and then more or less have a faultless car that’s almost new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think as others have touched on, a lot of the time it's not about upgrading simply because a new model is out, but more because it's just time to part with the old one and the new one is a viable option. I had the Golf nearly 4 years which is the longest I've ever owned a car, and I just really don't see myself ever keeping anything past 4-5 years at the max. When that time rolls around, if the next model is the one people like the look of the most out of all the options out there, have at it I guess. 

Now I can't speak for the mk7 as I had the mk7.5, but either way it wouldn't work for me as an upgrade. I'm not the biggest fan of the new one for starters, but ignoring that I just can't see myself ever going from one model year to the next. Every time I've switched car I've gone to a different type or manufacturer/model. Part of it is moving up the pricing ladder and my needs/wants at the time, part of it is wanting to experience lots of different cars over the years, and the other part is I find it easier to justify it to myself. Going from a 7.5R to an 8R for example, I could easily see myself sitting there and going "why did I just spend another 20k+ on something so similar, might as well of kept the old one." Whereas moving to a different brand or type of car I think the chances of that are lessened. That is of course unless you make an accidently downgrade and realise you prefered your old car (I seem to remember someone on here having something similar happen with an Audi Q5).  

All fair points Camel and everyone’s experience might differ.  I can only speak from my own experience so far (although other forum members who now have the car have commented on the tech in other threads) and I don’t consider the minor (to me) glitches) I’ve had so far to be a reason not to have the car, or to get rid, or a step back.  Maybe I’m lucky or maybe it’s partly that the latest software and hardware is improved over the earlier versions, sounds like it from what I’ve read so far.  And maybe you were lucky with your glitch free Mk7 because mine had its fair share of gremlins and doing a hard reset on that was quite a regular thing at least up till it got a software update at one of the services.  It’s easy to look at new things through rose tinted glasses for sure, but it’s equally easy to overlook some of the mk7 things that weren’t perfect.  Noisy suspension, creaking steering, rattles, squeaks, coolant failures.....etc. Now these may still present themselves at some point in a mk8 but they were well known issues on the mk7, so wasn’t all joy all the time.  

Whether or not VW will reintroduce some buttons of old who can say, but from my limited 530 miles in my particular 8R I’m more than happy with the setup, even with the odd tech strop.  On a lighter note, I can’t say I was very upset by the heated seat icon not showing up for 30 seconds as the sun had nicely warmed the seat.    I was much more impressed with the fact the car seems to know which seat ventilation icon to show depending on the outside temp.  Perhaps it hadn’t quite decided which early this morning.  However, later in the morning when I went out on a work trip, it knew it’s was very warm out and it loaded the seat aircon icon in place of the heated icon, the later which it’s been bringing up in the colder mornings.  I’m not talking about a full climate screen menu here, just the little shortcut icons displayed in the side bar for quick access. So it knew that seats needed the cooling option so offered that, and not the seat heating option.  In other words it more than redeemed itself from this mornings momentary fail!  

I’d suggest the heated steering wheel coming on by accident was not necessarily a glitch but just accidental knocking of the button.  I’ve not done that yet but can see how you might depending on how you move your hands around.  There’s certainly scope for it with either side of the steering wheel controls.  But it’s not a major safety issue is it accidentally getting warm hands.  

I’m sure you’ll be the first to post it up if someone does crash whilst driving (it goes without saying I hope that never happens), but you know what, you can do that in any car if your concentration is averted, be it with a touchscreen, slider, haptic, standard button or a dial, for example fishing around by touch for the driver mode button on the wrong side of the gearstick in the mk7, not ideal. 

I certainly wouldn’t be gloating over anyone crashing but given that it’s supposed to be a leap forward in one area, it’s a step back in another. Physical buttons can be found without taking your eyes of the road but cycling through menus on a screen is something else. Can’t fault the advance in chassis and engine tech though! I’m still being open minded and hope to go and look one over myself before making my mind up for definite!

19 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

I certainly wouldn’t be gloating over anyone crashing but given that it’s supposed to be a leap forward in one area, it’s a step back in another. Physical buttons can be found without taking your eyes of the road but cycling through menus on a screen is something else. Can’t fault the advance in chassis and engine tech though! I’m still being open minded and hope to go and look one over myself before making my mind up for definite!

I can't believe you haven't bought a GR Yaris yet!  If you buy a 5 door with DSG, you'll never live it down 😆

Really appreciate your insightful comments, Bec.  When I traded my well-loved MK6 R for a MK7, I felt I got a significantly better car for the money.  The trade for the MK7.5 was unexpected (my dealer made me an offer that on balance I'm glad I didn't refuse) but worthwhile, if only for the six-year full warranty VW was promoting at the time (they dropped it the end of the model-year).  I'm intrigued by the MK8 R's advances and certainly will check them out when they're released Stateside as 2022 models later this year.  Of course if I buy, I lose the current six-year warranty. :smiley:  The decision will be made based on how well it drives, how much VW asks for it, and, maybe, how much I want to demonstrate support for VW's decision to offer manual transmission on US-spec MK8 Rs.