What did you do with your NOT R today?

So I know we've had a pretty long running "What did you do with your R today?" thread but figured it might be a good idea to throw one together for 2nd cars, partners cars, DIY at home, or like me ex-R owners with no R to talk about. Apologies if this has been done before, I don't remember seeing one.

Today the big job for me was setting up the dash cam. It turned into one hell of a job and I'm not sure I have much skin left on my fingers but got there in the end. I don't like to run the camera off the cars battery so used a dash cam ancillary battery (cellink battery b) that I also used in the R. This means that the only connections I need are a solid earth and a switched live that is only on when the ignition is. That way the car charges the dash cam battery only when driving and then when switched off the parking mode runs off that and not the car battery.

The W205 Merc's have three interior fuse boxes just to make life difficult. Unfortunately the one I wanted to use in the passenger footwell was always live so was ruled out. I then thought the one in the drivers side end of the dash would work but no dice, also always live. That meant my only option was to use the one in the boot. Turned out to be a really good thing but made the job a lot more difficult to do. 

I ended up running the power from the boot around the back left seat and then under the carpet along the side, up the side of the passenger dash where the other fuse box is, and then finally up the A pillar (behind the airbag) and across the headliner. The feed to the rear camera was much more difficult. I followed the same route from the front until I got to the back seat. I then went up the C pillar behind the airbag, and had to get the cable right the way across the back of the car (not so easy in an estate). I used some glow worm cable router to help with this and after much poking and prodding finally got it through the back. The next big hurdle was getting the cable through the rubber flex the hatch cables go through. There was barely enough room and this took me about 30 minutes on its own. 

After 6 hours I finally got it all up and running and took it for a spin to try out the camera and make sure there were no rattles. I wrapped a lot of the cable in fabric tape and thankfully no noises. All the trim went back together without much fuss as well so pretty happy overall with the install other than how long it took. 

As far as the dash cam itself, I decided on the A129 Pro Duo. I tended to lean towards Thinkware and blackvue and avoid the Chinese stuff but this is a company set up by two brothers who both own the company and designed the camera and software themselves. No cheap chinese knockoff going on here. It also uses a Sony Exmor sensor and has full 4K (not upscaled) so is a pretty impressive bit of kit. I watched a review where they compared the A129 Pro, Thinkware U1000 and Blackvue DR900S, and the A129 and U1000 came out on top with the blackvue lagging behind in terms of video quality. Surprisingly the A129 was actually better than the Thinkware in a lot of situations. I bought one for my dad last year and was very impressed so went with that. I'm not interested in the cloud stuff or various warnings and gimmicks other cameras come with. I just wanted the best possible quality and parking recording which is does. Not bad for nearly half the price of the U1000.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Added buttons to the RS3 steering wheel along with Urus paddles. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I know we've had a pretty long running "What did you do with your R today?" thread but figured it might be a good idea to throw one together for 2nd cars, partners cars, DIY at home, or like me ex-

I disagree. I believe he was questioning his manhood. If we allow this sort of thing to go unpunished what next? Offering help with directions?! I won't stand for it!!

Posted Images

@tweaked9107  Great write up Stefan and and a hell of an undertaking.  Well done to you for doing it all yourself and a very neat job by the looks of it.  The dashcam sounds a great choice.  And hope you’re now having a well earned rest

And a great thread idea!  👍 I’ll sticky it.  

3 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

@tweaked9107  Great write up Stefan and and a hell of an undertaking.  Well done to you for doing it all yourself and a very neat job by the looks of it.  The dashcam sounds a great choice.  And hope you’re now having a well earned rest

And a great thread idea!  👍 I’ll sticky it.  

Haha thanks - I'll sleep like a champ tonight I'm sure. I was definitely questioning my decision to do it myself about halfway through but I think it was worth it in the end. 

5 minutes ago, veneeringman said:

Added buttons to the RS3 steering wheel along with Urus paddles. emoji4.png

07e2ffed113edf5c7e541eca6ded14cb.jpg

Great idea to add the steering wheel buttons. If there is one thing I could change about my car it would be having the start button on the wheel. There's just something about it that puts a smile on your face.

Thanks, I saw them on there.

Could you share exactly which one you bought please? Or PM me it?

Cheers

Sent from my fingers

Here you go.

2 weeks from order to delivery

£74.42 | New generation Integraded R8 Button Sport Steering Wheel Start and Driving Mode Switch R8 Engine Start Stop Drive select button
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL6Qtvt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
28 minutes ago, veneeringman said:

Battery change as I was only getting a standing reading of 11.80v from the 3.5 year old battery.

d0e6c2cc3e786f7872f5ea966728674d.jpg

Did you know that 12.45V is only about 60% charge for a AGM battery ?  (fully charged should be closer to 12.8+V) 

Did you know that 12.45V is about 75% charge for a regular lead acid battery ?   (fully charged should be closer to 12.6 to 12.7V), while a fully charged AGM battery should be closer to 12.8+ 

That reading was from the new battery I fitted after about an hour (car hasn’t been driven yet due to self isolation.)

The old battery was consistently sat at 11.80v even after a full charge by this de0bf8739c3b02e780e0c81cae1c91ba.jpg
Part of the problem with the old battery was dash cam parking mode zapping it and lockdown short journeys.
Dash cam battery install will help combat this now.

The new battery actually starts to move up in voltage the longer I waited.

Did you know that 12.45V is only about 60% charge for a AGM battery ?  (fully charged should be closer to 12.8+V) 

I should have said the new battery has been on charge with the Noco Genius to get it back to full charge.
Not been out to the car yet to test it’s standing voltage today.