Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Lee, enjoying it very much! 

3 hours ago, veneeringman said:

Damn that’s a great looking job you’ve done Bec emoji1316.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Sean!  

2 hours ago, Jens0n said:

Stunning Becs,

no anxt with the DA polishers on new paint? - of course not =o)

J

Thanks Jenson.  No angst about DAing it. The paint was in really good nick so I really only polished it to give it better clarity and just jewel the finish, so just single stage polish with a fine cut polish so nothing too agressive.  Paint feels like silk now.  

2 hours ago, Dr Mike Oxgreen said:

I keep thinking that I must get the DA out of hibernation once the weather warms up.

Whenever that might be.

Excellent job as always, Becs.  You're an inspiration!

Thanks Ian.  

Some warmer might make it a more appealing prospect.  I wish it had been at least a few degrees warmer these last few days, my hands are a bit stiff after clutching a DA in near freezing temps yesterday, I think they’re stuck in a claw like position! 

Just now, Booth11 said:

Thanks Ian.  

Some warmer might make it a more appealing prospect.  I wish it had been at least a few degrees warmer these last few days, my hands are a bit stiff after clutching a DA in near freezing temps yesterday, I think they’re stuck in a claw like position! 

Been there, done that.  I bought a black Honda S2000 in December 2014, and bought my DA polisher in February 2015, thinking that it would be a good idea to work on it before the weather reached the point where I'd want to be out driving it.  Some pads, polishing compounds, and a few of "Junkman's" videos on YouTube, and I was out there mummified in layers of fleeces and thermals, trying to achieve an elusive "black chrome" finish.

I won't be doing it again.  Winter car projects are painful.  

After a pause of a few days due to family commitments and then the weather not wanting to cooperate (rain and wind), today managed to pick up where I left off on Weds.  With the car fully decontaminated, machine polished (single stage) and panel wiped down, it was time to move onto the protection stages.   

First a super gentle wash and dry to rid the car off a few days worth of dirt, making sure no swirls inflicted in the process. 

51109516616_797cd15d79_o.jpg

51110295125_8f6905cebb_o.jpg

51109263589_257a7bd7be_o.jpg

Wax time 

51109515626_5740695abc_o.jpg

51110294360_99029bc553_o.jpg

51108948732_dce040c51d_o.jpg

51110294700_4a846245b0_o.jpg

Some lovely wax gloss and reflections 

51109420343_c290405ff4_o.jpg

51110291210_3a2ea4b582_o.jpg

51109261309_027acb7285_o.jpg

51108947842_3cb6e05e69_o.jpg

51109263279_2945f8aed3_o.jpg

51109419593_7f7315b4fa_o.jpg

51109516521_7c2375745d_o.jpg

51109420408_de1269c54c_o.jpg

51108949442_30a600b905_o.jpg

51109263499_fdc8a327b8_o.jpg

51109620553_c383fc82d2_o.jpg

51110493630_a643fd96c7_o.jpg

and Lapiz flake pop  

51108949382_47e4e9d876_o.jpg

51108949442_30a600b905_o.jpg

51110474260_cdeb9c459c_o.jpg

51109421053_680f4f20b2_o.jpg

51109264914_28a6b0c6a1_o.jpg

51109517186_49605a9e3f_o.jpg

Temporary sealant on gloss trim, lights, tailpipes and wheels.  

51110293685_e89f2528b1_o.jpg

51110394796_e8bac53406_o.jpg

51109517166_18f1e8dd2c_o.jpg

51109419778_21af6a7c5f_o.jpg

51108948762_c9a9353d62_o.jpg

51109462039_771b4e07e6_o.jpg

51109769486_17ae6ea036_o.jpg

I have Gyeon Q2 Trim to go on, but that requires a more controlled environment for application and so will go on when I’m able to get the tent up and the weather is less changeable.   Also have Gyeon Q2 RIM for the wheels when I can have a spell with the wheels off at which time I’ll also paint the rear hubs with Hammerite Rust to Metal paint. 

Time to seal the glass (all bar front windscreen)

51110293505_16ed79e1ff_o.jpg

51109418918_9b08d62aa3_o.jpg

Not forgetting some TLC for the weatherstripping

51110293890_30a4e9d1bd_o.jpg

51108949747_a9c84f5999_o.jpg

And finally, dress the tyres

51109419003_7920e20a6a_o.jpg

All done....for now......

51108949947_511f39c934_o.jpg

51109516961_d684fb0a1c_o.jpg

51109420978_0231b3cd60_o.jpg

51109516576_32a0eda88f_o.jpg

51109327122_f9c899f4a2_o.jpg

51109454123_0c49e9cd17_o.jpg

51110651710_36d7cbc193_o.jpg

51109672963_921821816e_o.jpg

.......needs a second coat of wax (and top off with QD) after the first coat has cured so that’ll go on next weekend.   Then engine bay and interior will get a bit of love.  

Sorry for the billions of pics but I’m in a love affair with Lapiz!  😍 💙 😍

Outstanding results :)

How did you find the Scholl polish? 

Am looking forward to hearing how you find Gyeon RIM. A bit more of a logistical challenge..

Would you recommend the Tyre express? I still have a load of the jennychem tyre dressing left, is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks Peter.  

The Scholl S40 is an amazing polish.  It’s a fine cut so really not for any major correction but as a single stage polish for swirls and refining the paint, it’s brilliant.  I used it with the Scholl Orange polishing pad which is recommended.  That’s quite a dense closed cell pad, but in doing research it’s the best pad for the S40, as opposed to an open cell soft finishing pad which wouldn’t reap much of a result.  Very impressed with both. The polish is very easy to work with, it’s quite oily and you need very little of it and it has a good working time and finishes down very well with no dust. Then very easy to just wipe off the residue. Lovely polish.  

Yes the Gyeon RIM needs some time I don’t have atm, as I need to use the car everyday for work and family stuff, so that will have to wait until I can have a spell free to take wheels off and do them inside.  

The Gyeon Tire Express is great product.  I’ve been using Gyeon Tire for the last year and really like that too, but thought I’d try the express version, and I actually prefer it, not just in terms of it drying quicker, but the finish as well.  It’s easy to apply (a sort of grey gel) and looks great applied then gently wiped over, and dries very quickly so no waiting and no sling.  Did you mean the Achem tyre dressing?  That’s long been my go tyre dressing but last year I fancied a change and so thought I’d try the Gyeon, and it was a good move. Achem is still great stuff, it’s just good to try others every now and then. But yes, I recommend the Gyeon Express. 

2 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Thanks Peter.  

The Scholl S40 is an amazing polish.  It’s a fine cut so really not for any major correction but as a single stage polish for swirls and refining the paint, it’s brilliant.  I used it with the Scholl Orange polishing pad which is recommended.  That’s quite a dense closed cell pad, but in doing research it’s the best pad for the S40, as opposed to an open cell soft finishing pad which wouldn’t reap much of a result.  Very impressed with both. The polish is very easy to work with, it’s quite oily and you need very little of it and it has a good working time and finishes down very well with no dust. Then very easy to just wipe off the residue. Lovely polish.  

Yes the Gyeon RIM needs some time I don’t have atm, as I need to use the car everyday for work and family stuff, so that will have to wait until I can have a spell free to take wheels off and do them inside.  

The Gyeon Tire Express is great product.  I’ve been using Gyeon Tire for the last year and really like that too, but thought I’d try the express version, and I actually prefer it, not just in terms of it drying quicker, but the finish as well.  It’s easy to apply (a sort of grey gel) and looks great applied then gently wiped over, and dries very quickly so no waiting and no sling.  Did you mean the Achem tyre dressing?  That’s long been my go tyre dressing but last year I fancied a change and so thought I’d try the Gyeon, and it was a good move. Achem is still great stuff, it’s just good to try others every now and then. But yes, I recommend the Gyeon Express. 

I watched the forensic detailers review of scholl's s20 - looked impressive! Obviously your car would never get to the point of ever needing that hard a compound :) the oiliness and lack of dusting looks appealing - I used gyeon's one stage compound recently and it was very dusty.. could be down to my pad cleaning technique which could be better probably. I just spoke to Marc today from polished and waxed. Never realised I had someone who sells loads of detailing supplies literally a stones throw from my house! I'm tempted to try out some of the ZviZZer products he sells. I was hoping he'd convince me that I'd need to buy a new liquid elements polisher, but alas he didn't try to sell me anything - refreshing that he gave me free advice rather than letting me succumb to my urges to spend money on detailing stuff 🤒 (still fancy a new DA tbh...)

I had to go out to my garage there to check, but it is definitely Jennychem - I got 5 litres of it last year and still have over 4 litres left. It is good - if a bit watery, I spray onto a sponge and spread it - just a bit easy to drip onto the wheel.. you can never have too many variations of the same product 😄 🙈 I'll probably add this into my next gyeon order.

With the cleaning of the wheels - do you find a particular size of your wheel woolies works best? I have the ez detailing brush for the barrels and just a wheel wash mitt for the rest. I like the look of the  wheel woolies, just not sure I'd use all three - might try and source a single brush & keep my mitt for the rest of the wheel. 

52 minutes ago, Peter Wynne said:

I watched the forensic detailers review of scholl's s20 - looked impressive! Obviously your car would never get to the point of ever needing that hard a compound :) the oiliness and lack of dusting looks appealing - I used gyeon's one stage compound recently and it was very dusty.. could be down to my pad cleaning technique which could be better probably. I just spoke to Marc today from polished and waxed. Never realised I had someone who sells loads of detailing supplies literally a stones throw from my house! I'm tempted to try out some of the ZviZZer products he sells. I was hoping he'd convince me that I'd need to buy a new liquid elements polisher, but alas he didn't try to sell me anything - refreshing that he gave me free advice rather than letting me succumb to my urges to spend money on detailing stuff 🤒 (still fancy a new DA tbh...)

I had to go out to my garage there to check, but it is definitely Jennychem - I got 5 litres of it last year and still have over 4 litres left. It is good - if a bit watery, I spray onto a sponge and spread it - just a bit easy to drip onto the wheel.. you can never have too many variations of the same product 😄 🙈 I'll probably add this into my next gyeon order.

With the cleaning of the wheels - do you find a particular size of your wheel woolies works best? I have the ez detailing brush for the barrels and just a wheel wash mitt for the rest. I like the look of the  wheel woolies, just not sure I'd use all three - might try and source a single brush & keep my mitt for the rest of the wheel. 

That’s great to discover a detailing product place just round the corner from you!  And very refreshing that they give advice freely without trying to flog you their wares even if you really want them too.  😁  Looks a good website.  Not familiar with ZviZZer products so you’ll have to tell us what they’re like of you try some out. Always good to hear reviews from actuels users.  Maybe if you go there to buy some, a new LE polisher might make its way into your possession.  😁

Talking of nearby detailing product places - I go up to Yorkshire a few times a year (to visit family) but it was only after going up there for years that I realised that Cleanyourcar were located just a few miles down the road from where I stay and from my parents former house.  Probably just as well as I’d have ended up spending far too much each trip. 😃

I’ve not watched the Forensic Detailing review of the S20 but sounds good, I’ll have to have a watch.  But yes hopefully the paint won’t get that bad to need a heavy cut polish, but you never know, lol.  

I’ve not tried Gyeon polishes but I really don’t like chalky or dusty polishes.  Having previously used Meguiars DA Microfibre system pads and polishes (D300; D301) those polishes are also oily and have a very long working time so it was a very welcome thing to find the S40 wasn’t dissimilar in consistency and behaviour.  I’ve used other polishes that are dusty and found them to be a pain.  These days I want products that are relatively easy to use.   I think frequent pad spurring can make a difference too.  I spur my pads (with a pad brush) after every section as it only takes seconds to do.  Then I change pads completely every few panels. 

Jennychem is a new one on me but it looks very similar to Achem Hi-Shine Longlife tyre dressing which is fantastic   https://www.achemshop.co.uk/product/hi-shine/

Cleaning the Estorils is a bit of a challenge. Well not so much the wheel itself but because the front brakes and discs of the 8R are bigger than the mk7 (and bigger than the Clubsport S discs I upgraded to on my mk7), it’s a tight fit getting anything into the slim gap between calliper and wheel barrel.   I have slim hands but I can’t get my hand into that gap even with a very thin cloth draped over it, let alone a wheel mitt.  I use Dooka lambswool wheel pads and wheel mitts but they are too thick for that space.  The small wheel woolie is the only thing that fits in the gap.  But it’s a bit small.  What I’m actually using to tackle the challenge of it, is a lambswool head wheel brush that was a prototype that Wo-Wo produced years back and that I trialled for them. They never put the design into production but I still have my 3 brush prototype set and the small one is somewhere between the Wheel Woolies medium and small size so better, plus the head is real lambswool which is my favourite material for wheel cleaning.  I’ll use that as long as it lasts and in the meantime hunt for something as close as I can find if it ever needs replacing.  Years ago I used an EZ brush but didn’t like it at all so not someth8mg I’d go for again.  I still use the big wheel woolie for the rest of the wheel and for the rear wheels, along side my Dooka lambswool pad and mitt.  The only Wheel Woolie I’ve ever really used is the big one as it’s always been pretty versatile and used for tailpipes too. So I get your idea to just buy one and use with your mitt.  But for the mk8 R I think you need a big wheel woolie and the small wheel woolie and the long-handled 12” small one would be best choice for the calliper gap. Slims Detailing sell them separately. https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/search?type=product&q=Wheel*+Woolies

I've used the Scholl S20 with a blue spider pad recently on the heavier scratches/swirls on my Octavia, I'd rate it as a medium cut compound rather than a heavy cut (but note that my Octy seems to have quite hard paint, so I don't know how it would go on a softer paint).  The S20 did finish down to an OK gloss, but not quite as shiny as NV Finesse.  I used the S20 where the Finesse didn't cut enough, then finished polishing with Finesse.