Harley

Dip stick position in sump

Hi, I tried finding any discussion on oil extraction via dip stick tube. So thought I would post here. Can anyone confirm the position of the dip stick in the sump. Is it at the deepest point? Is having the car flat/level the best position to aid in extracting the most oil via a vacuum pump or sitting on a slight slop nose down etc....

I have a 67 plate Golf R which is due a mid service interval ool change. Cost at local vw dealership is stupid £187 !!! Independent £148. So I have decided to go the DIY route for 5000 mile oil changes. Any recommendations on best oil filter or just buy vw one?

Thanks

David 

I have tried the vacuum method of removing oil through the dipstick tube mainly to see how much it removed and how much was left in the sump.  Note this was not done on my R but on one of my other vehicles and was done just as a test.  The amount of oil in the sump should have been 4.5 litres. The amount extracted was 3.5 litres.  The issue is not only the old oil left in the sump but more importantly that you leave all the other residues/metal still in the car.  Part of the oil change is to get this stuff to come out as well which is why the oil should be warm to ensure good flow..  I still did a proper oil change on the 'test' vehicle because of this residual amount and my advice would be to do it properly and not try the vacuum shortcut.

I use a mityvac 7201 for most of my oil changes on my R.....i checked how much was left in the sump after my first use, just under 100ml is all that came out, which is pretty darn good considering there nearly 6 litres in there.

As with all oil extraction through the dipstick - the oil must be hot or it will take forever to come out and you won't get all of it.

I got mine up to 60 deg, and it extracted fine - jig the tube around a bit when it gets to the end and you will get the last bit out.

I do mine with the car flat, the dip stick tube allows you to feed the extraction tube right to the bottom of the sump.

Much easier than jacking the car up, removing undertray (i have the full protection, alltrack undertray so it's a bit of a job to remove).

Great video here from HumbleMechanic on oil extraction on a 7.5R

I do 6 monthly oil changes regardless of mileage. Previous one was under 2000 miles.

I always use genuine oil filter and new sump plug and drain the oil properly. I have the standard under tray which doesn’t need to be removed.

Off the top on my head, it’s about £15-16 for the filter & sump plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 08/04/2021 at 08:50, slider09 said:

I do 6 monthly oil changes regardless of mileage. Previous one was under 2000 miles.

I always use genuine oil filter and new sump plug and drain the oil properly. I have the standard under tray which doesn’t need to be removed.

Off the top on my head, it’s about £15-16 for the filter & sump plug.

Nice professional touch there, a fine car deserves to be well treated and no skimping on parts. Fella after my own heart 👍

Nice professional touch there, a fine car deserves to be well treated and no skimping on parts. Fella after my own heart 

I’ve had the car 4.5 years and have no intention yet to change it. DIY oil change is around £40, no brainer in my eyes. My car has done under 2000 miles since it’s official service last June. The gunk under the oil filter was awful due to the lack of use and very short journeys.