wolverine

Carwow's latest review - Golf R vs. S3...and the winner is...

I really like the S3 though, I might look at the saloon when I move on from my estate. I'm hoping to get a T6.1 or T7 camper next so I won't need an estate. I just can't fall in love with the face and interior of the R even though I'm sure it's a great drive. 

S3 Saloon is a really good looking car in the right spec. It’s just a real shame they stuck with Haldex and didn’t

use the new system been used on the 8R. 

I would have to go for the 8R just for the better drive. 

5 minutes ago, blakspark said:

S3 Saloon is a really good looking car in the right spec. It’s just a real shame they stuck with Haldex and didn’t

use the new system been used on the 8R. 

I would have to go for the 8R just for the better drive. 

My thoughts exactly, seems the Golf is the sportier, the Audi slightly more classy interior/exterior in my opinion but no questions if you wanted one for a driving experience it would be the Golf

I don’t think this is an accident from VW Group. 

And for once I think there marketing makes sense

The main focus on the R communications is the driving experience, performance,  drift mode, better brakes etc. 
The enthusiast wants and is been pushed towards the more performance focused car. 

The S3 is very much for the premium hatch buyer who is likely looking for the second or third car in the household and will choose an S3 Vorsprung simply because it’s the ‘best’  A3 and they can afford it.  

As a daily driver the S3 looks a much nicer place to be, having said that on the occasional spirited drive it would suggest the Golf wins hands down.

With regards to the base level cars reviewed, as a minimum I'd have to go with a leather interior on the Golf and the DCC equivalent on the S3 before entertaining either.

At that point I'm not sure which route I'd take..

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what drivetrain tech comes on the 8Y RS3.

J.

The S3 doesn't need to be as good as the R as the RS sits above it with more power and I'm sure even better dynamics.

The R is VW halo car so gets all the bells and whistles, I'm looking forward to seeing the new RS3. I'm sure that will be a 55/60k car this time around though.

1 hour ago, BobbyT said:

I really like the S3 though, I might look at the saloon when I move on from my estate. I'm hoping to get a T6.1 or T7 camper next so I won't need an estate. I just can't fall in love with the face and interior of the R even though I'm sure it's a great drive. 

The Mk8 in general is just awful both inside and out and having an R badge on it can't save it for me.  If I was willing to buy a car by ignoring it's looks and focusing on how it is to drive then I'd just get a Civic Type R.  If I'm going to drive with a brown paper bag on my head I may as well enjoy myself 😊

Mercedes are on point at the moment with the A45/A35 and I'd pick those two over the R (specifically the shootingbrake).  I'd rather buy the i30N over the 8R (if I didn't need an estate)

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

The Mk8 in general is just awful both inside and out and having an R badge on it can't save it for me.  If I was willing to buy a car by ignoring it's looks and focusing on how it is to drive then I'd just get a Civic Type R.  If I'm going to drive with a brown paper bag on my head I may as well enjoy myself 😊

Mercedes are on point at the moment with the A45/A35 and I'd pick those two over the R (specifically the shootingbrake).  I'd rather buy the i30N over the 8R (if I didn't need an estate)

I'd pretty much agree - horrible. However, it's even simpler for me: I will never own a Mk8, even as a gift, as it's nearly 2 inches wider than a 7 and I couldn't safely get it in my garage. At least I can easily ignore all the hype, stressing and wishful thinking that goes on. And ... from day 1 I've been able to use VCDS and OBDeleven to make just about any changes I want. Not being able to do this for an unspecified time, or possibly never, would drive me crazy. Just keep pressing that good old stop/start button!

Think the review sums it up perfectly, showing that the R is the better for launch control and using on a drag strip.
The Audi looks nicer inside and out although the colour wasn’t to my taste.
Interesting that all the comparisons are done with the R on 18” wheels and the Audi on 19” wheels.
Anyone that’s driven a 7 or 7.5 R will notice that the car is noticeably quicker on 18”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Chris7.5R said:

I'd pretty much agree - horrible. However, it's even simpler for me: I will never own a Mk8, even as a gift, as it's nearly 2 inches wider than a 7 and I couldn't safely get it in my garage. At least I can easily ignore all the hype, stressing and wishful thinking that goes on. And ... from day 1 I've been able to use VCDS and OBDeleven to make just about any changes I want. Not being able to do this for an unspecified time, or possibly never, would drive me crazy. Just keep pressing that good old stop/start button!

You could just press a button and fold the mirrors in as (I think) the width of the car is pretty much the same.

After having new doors fitted, the width on my garage is 2.1m, so would be tight for a lot of cars without folding the mirrors, the R fits in there fine of course as did the Boxster that we had before it.  The annoying thing is I've recently found out that the other side is 2.15m wide, but I don't want to reverse in which is what I think I'd have to do to make that side work (as well as move all the bikes and other stuff we store on that side)

1 hour ago, Martin2 said:

You could just press a button and fold the mirrors in as (I think) the width of the car is pretty much the same.

After having new doors fitted, the width on my garage is 2.1m, so would be tight for a lot of cars without folding the mirrors, the R fits in there fine of course as did the Boxster that we had before it.  The annoying thing is I've recently found out that the other side is 2.15m wide, but I don't want to reverse in which is what I think I'd have to do to make that side work (as well as move all the bikes and other stuff we store on that side)

It's a bit complicated, as I have to use the mirrors to back down the drive, into the into the rather limited space between two houses, to get exactly lined up for the garage, then fold the mirrors in just before they hit the door frame. Then a slight swerve to give me room to get out. Driving out I hold my breath until clear of the buildings before opening the mirrors.

What I can't understand is why my previous BMW F30, which was only 1mm wider across the mirrors, although 2cm wider in the body, was so much easier to back in every time. I think the Golf's stupidly pointed mirrors are not helping. I knew the new G20 3 Series would be far too wide, but was astonished to find that the new F40 1 Series is even wider, so the potential M135i had to give way to the Golf. A shame, as I don't find VW to be anywhere the equal of any of my previous 6 BMWs.

1 minute ago, Chris7.5R said:

It's a bit complicated, as I have to use the mirrors to back down the drive, into the into the rather limited space between two houses, to get exactly lined up for the garage, then fold the mirrors in just before they hit the door frame. Then a slight swerve to give me room to get out. Driving out I hold my breath until clear of the buildings before opening the mirrors.

What I can't understand is why my previous BMW F30, which was only 1mm wider across the mirrors, although 2cm wider in the body, was so much easier to back in every time. I think the Golf's stupidly pointed mirrors are not helping. I knew the new G20 3 Series would be far too wide, but was astonished to find that the new F40 1 Series is even wider, so the potential M135i had to give way to the Golf. A shame, as I don't find VW to be anywhere the equal of any of my previous 6 BMWs.

That sounds like fun!