Has anyone else had the warning that "Rear Traffic Alert is currently unavailable" after getting in the car? It leads to the parking distance sensors appearing to not work either as it just shows exclamation marks around the car.

Mine has done it twice now and each time after stopping the car, locking it for a while and then restarting it clears but the last time it happened was when I was heading home from work and just closing the door and locking and unlocking didn't clear it, so I had to drive home with the warning which pops up every time you stop and start in traffic.

Going to get it booked in at some point with a garage but I haven't worked out yet what causes it to come up, as it doesn't do it every time.

Also, had a similar with the ACC picking up speed limits from somewhere else on the road but I am normally watching it close enough that I just put my foot temporarily on the accelerator and override it for a few seconds till it reverts back to the right speed. Equally the lane assist seems to work well enough for me so I use it on the longer journeys mainly to take control while I change a setting on the dash or something similar where I just let go of the steering wheel for a couple of seconds and then put them back on. Seems good enough so far for my usage, but I am more trusting of computers than most 🙂

Interested to hear if anyone else has had the rear traffic disabling to try and work out what is causing it, keen to see if anyone else has worked out what is causing it and if there is a quicker fix than having to leave the car for half an hour.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Read this topic with interest, so did some Googling and apparently the development team for the Golf Mk8 have been taken into questioning.  I’ve included a picture of them.  

Collected my car from the from dealership.     New battery is fitted.  So it starts!  😁   Software has been updated to 1890 so let’s see how that is over next few days,though I did

In Leeds now and zero issues so far. ACC behaved itself, no kph, no blocking overtaking, no slowing down then speeding back up. I took a route that I could previously guarantee seeing 110 as the speed

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Andy-B said:

Has anyone else had the warning that "Rear Traffic Alert is currently unavailable" after getting in the car? It leads to the parking distance sensors appearing to not work either as it just shows exclamation marks around the car.

Mine has done it twice now and each time after stopping the car, locking it for a while and then restarting it clears but the last time it happened was when I was heading home from work and just closing the door and locking and unlocking didn't clear it, so I had to drive home with the warning which pops up every time you stop and start in traffic.

Going to get it booked in at some point with a garage but I haven't worked out yet what causes it to come up, as it doesn't do it every time.

Also, had a similar with the ACC picking up speed limits from somewhere else on the road but I am normally watching it close enough that I just put my foot temporarily on the accelerator and override it for a few seconds till it reverts back to the right speed. Equally the lane assist seems to work well enough for me so I use it on the longer journeys mainly to take control while I change a setting on the dash or something similar where I just let go of the steering wheel for a couple of seconds and then put them back on. Seems good enough so far for my usage, but I am more trusting of computers than most 🙂

Interested to hear if anyone else has had the rear traffic disabling to try and work out what is causing it, keen to see if anyone else has worked out what is causing it and if there is a quicker fix than having to leave the car for half an hour.

It’s your car’s way of telling you it wants to be cleaned. Or, if you’re not a detailing fiend like me, just wipe over the sensors if you are then perhaps a trip to the dealer is in order.

2 hours ago, Peter Wynne said:

Not really a gremlin... but this happened:

ugh.jpg.d86c53d8c79f2894f46899af867934b2.jpg

Travelling along in the slow lane on a dual carriageway (in comfort mode because.. well.. petrol) with a white van alongside... it didn't indicate or check his mirror and merged into my lane. My breaking was fast enough to avoid a massive shunt.. but we kissed bumpers. The driver was completely oblivious, I only just felt the impact and he felt nothing in his big sprinter. 

Called the rozzers and gave me 2 options.. either take statements and go through court - or they would exchange details with us both and we can sort it out between us. I went for the latter - the driver called me and apologized - spoke to the owner too (he owns a fleet of 40 vans) and he apologized and has promised to pay for the repair (directly to the repair place ahead of the booking), which is next Tuesday.. I have very good dash cam footage (courtesy of my trusty garmin) - so am sure I can revert to legal options if he doesn't pay. He sounded pretty decent on the phone so hopefully I don't have that hassle, but I've been a bad judge of character in the past..

Initially I thought it would just buff out, but on the ridge - it's down through the paint. Took it to a local spray shop (pretty rough looking shed) - he quoted me £300.. then went to a bigger accident repair shop (suitably pristine massive industrial unit) and they quoted the same. So I've gone with the bigger outfit that a local detailer recommended.. 

Hassle. Time. and stress. 😭

Sorry to see this Peter.  What a pain.  At least you’ve got the other party to accept and pay for repairs.  A good bodyshop should sort it no problem.  Had similar damage inflicted on my mk7 in same place but proper bodyshop repair had it like new.  Does your car have a ceramic coating on it?  As if so, you’ll have to factor having the repainted panels done again.  

There’s some oblivious drivers out there for sure.  I was on the M25 this morning at 6am (in the Amarok, not the R) and there was a small white van in front that was really having a hard time staying in lane. He almost brushed an artic in the other Lane!  I hate Lane Assist myself but maybe it’s needed for some.  

39 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Sorry to see this Peter.  What a pain.  At least you’ve got the other party to accept and pay for repairs.  A good bodyshop should sort it no problem.  Had similar damage inflicted on my mk7 in same place but proper bodyshop repair had it like new.  Does your car have a ceramic coating on it?  As if so, you’ll have to factor having the repainted panels done again.  

There’s some oblivious drivers out there for sure.  I was on the M25 this morning at 6am (in the Amarok, not the R) and there was a small white van in front that was really having a hard time staying in lane. He almost brushed an artic in the other Lane!  I hate Lane Assist myself but maybe it’s needed for some.  

I do have ceramic on there.. I did it myself, and I have some left so I can reapply - but that's a huge amount of time in itself.. with prep / decon / polish / application - even just for the front end... As much as I do enjoy it - it's not something I'd planned to do again so soon.. 

Yeah 100% agree.. lane assist for everyone else is needed :D

21 minutes ago, Peter Wynne said:

I do have ceramic on there.. I did it myself, and I have some left so I can reapply - but that's a huge amount of time in itself.. with prep / decon / polish / application - even just for the front end... As much as I do enjoy it - it's not something I'd planned to do again so soon.. 

Yeah 100% agree.. lane assist for everyone else is needed :D

It’ll be fresh paint so shouldn’t need major decontamination but might need to leave it a while before applying the ceramic coat, just to allow for gassing out.  Bodyshop should advise on how long. 

3 hours ago, Andy-B said:

I had that error pop up the other day, my heart sank when I saw them but after locking car and starting again they didn't come back on, I reckoned it was because I had left the ignition on for quite some time, I had a message come up saying to turn off as 12v battery was getting low, not appeared since either....🤞

On 06/04/2022 at 14:29, Andy-B said:

Get the “Rear Traffic Alert is currently unavailable” error and then, as you mention, the parking sensors not working quite regularly.

I think it has been mentioned on here a few times and can only assume it’s yet another “software issue”?

The issue with the ACC sometimes setting to incorrect speeds is a well-known problem mentioned many times.

Normally it randomly sets the ACC to the KPH equivalent of the road speed limit, although very occasionally it can just be because the camera has “read” a displayed number which isn’t a road speed limit sign.

On mine, since it was updated to 1890 a few months ago, this has only happened a couple of times and seems to function much more reliably.

2 hours ago, jason1972 said:

Get the “Rear Traffic Alert is currently unavailable” error and then, as you mention, the parking sensors not working quite regularly.

I think it has been mentioned on here a few times and can only assume it’s yet another “software issue”?

Sounds like a good excuse to get your cars booked in to get the latest software version - 1896 😉

Is anyone else getting the infotainment system crashing and rebooting itself when using the inbuilt Sat Nav?  It only happens in certain areas, much like the SOS double click issue (been in for the recall), in fact it’s the same area so I’m guessing it could be related, or just a coincidence?? It started with 1890, I’m now on 1896 and it’s still happening. Once its rebooted itself and I set the route again if I’m in the same area it’ll crash again and restart, if I leave it and not set a route it’s fine. No problems using CarPlay or AA.

And on a side note its been in for the latest updates and they still haven’t managed to fix the overtaking issue, doesn’t happen as much but it’s still there, and when starting the car but not moving the HUD said kph, this changed to mph when I started to move.

Seeing as I’m on first names terms now with most of the service dept at VW Stockport I might nip in for a brew 😆

Yes get rebooting every so often on 1890, cant remember if its just when using satnav or in certain area's, was hoping 1896 might have fixed that!

I dont seem to suffer from the acc not wanting to overtake and have never seen kph displayed in the HUD.

One thing i have noticed after i got 1890 is that "favourite contacts" in the phone menu often clear themselves, leaving no favourites. Have lost count on how often i have reselected them.

I had this constantly after the 1890 update, to the point where it was beeping every 5 or so seconds for an entire 50 minute journey... drove me mad but had no choice but continue driving. Even tried stopping giving the car a few mins to sort itself out and re-start but to no avail. 

Prior to then I maybe had it happen 2 or 3 times in 9 months of ownership. 

29 minutes ago, JaseW said:

I had this constantly after the 1890 update, to the point where it was beeping every 5 or so seconds for an entire 50 minute journey... drove me mad but had no choice but continue driving. Even tried stopping giving the car a few mins to sort itself out and re-start but to no avail. 

Prior to then I maybe had it happen 2 or 3 times in 9 months of ownership. 

Mine was beeping like my seat belt wasn’t on…. Since my steering wheel has been replaced the error has only come back once 

Anyone else suffering with gremlins after the recent OTA?

I've received 2 OTA updates in the last 7 days and my infotainment system been super slow as a result. Everytime I start the car it opens with the Privacy page telling me there's new functionality.  For the life of me I can't work out what's new.

Today I lost audio altogether and this is the first time this has ever happened. Tried turning the car on off, restarting the infotainment etc.... nothing would work.

6 hours later it works. Bizarre!!

On 12/04/2022 at 20:42, Dannybear83 said:

Mine was beeping like my seat belt wasn’t on…. Since my steering wheel has been replaced the error has only come back once 

yeh thats the sound. 

not that it matters now for me as i don't have the car anymore. 

fingers crossed yours is fixed!